kinky twists or micros?! HELP!!!

afrofaithful

So I'm supposed to be getting braids or kinky twists this weekend but after talking to a few people IDK! I was set on getting the kinky twists but someone told me they are worse for your edges and do a lot of damage to your hair. I need to find a protective style that I don't have to manipulate too much.

I had micros but my edges thinned out a lot. I'm finally getting some growth back and don't want to jeopardize my progress. I was at the bottom of my neck in February and the back of my hair got all the way down to about my collarbone. I saw all this growth but some of it was damaged so I decided to cut it off so I can start the RIGHT way. So now I'm back at square one...maybe I made the wrong decision but I think my hair looks healthier. I HATE when people have long hair and it looks scraggly, I would prefer for my long hair to look healthy :grin:. ANYWAYS I was wondering which ones are better...

Please help I don't want to end up bald :nono:

I don't think you'll have a problem if you have a good braider. Also, try checking out the Crown and Glory Method: www.growafrohairlong.com I've had both Kinky Twists and Micros but I prefer micros. You may want to try a protein treatment and DC before braiding. Have you considered Senegalese Twists?

I don't really think the senegalese twists would look right on me...besides my mom just got them and we can't have the same do!!!

I've tried both and micros were more far more damaging for my hairline than twists. However, I think you can have damage with twists depending on the braider. I personally would get the twists over micros even though I loved the versatility of micros. Hope thats not too confusing...yes, twists, that's my final answer:)

I would get twists over micros. Actually, I have kinky twists now and my edges aren't braided. Unless you are getting micro braids (where all of your hair is in small braids, with no hair is left out), I don't think that micros are all that protective for your ends. Kinky twists are, however.

Honestly, the level of damage braids can do to your hair is relative on the person who is doing the braiding....

My :twocents:

Both kinky twist and micros will do the exact same damage to your edges (if any) if they are too tight or left in too long which will have the braids/twist hanging onto your thin edges once they grow out.

To resolve that problem I now wear crochet braids with a pretty wavey sythentic hair. Your hair is cornrolled underneath so your edges wont be strained at all. The hair is cheap (i use freetress). Takes a lot less time to put in and a WHOLE lot less time to take out than micros. Plus if you use growth aids you can get to your scalp very easily without any manipulation on your hair.

Kinky twists. I have seen toooooo many edges lost to micros to ever recommend them.

My sister lives in kinky twists and her edges look great. If they use too much kanekalon in proportion to your real hair, of course your edges will come out.

I'm partial to braids coz I think they hold better. But I didn't come here to persuade you one way or another, I came to suggest you do what I do to my edges to give them a break. This time around though it's turned into the main vocation rather than a break :giggle: I take the extensions off along my hairline and wear my own hair in twists as bangs. This sort of gives you an idea:

Curformersonwetbraids-vi.jpg

And in time, they shrink enough to be out of my eyes, otherwise initially after doing them, I just sweep them to the side. I thought you could see what they look like in the finished do but the dolt I am, I hid them. :rolleyes:

FirstTimeCurlformersonBraids-vi.jpg

Alternatively, you can do mini-cornrows in the front again w/o extensions and can change that as you feel like for variety:

niCornrowsnoextensionsMicrosvi-vi.jpg

MinicornrowsIIIMicro-vi.jpg

MiniCornrowsIIMicros-vi.jpg

And then you can do either kinky twists or braids this time and next install switch up and see which one you like.

In either case, please know that damage will occur if too much hair is added per section of your own. In other words, err on the side of caution and use less hair than the section you are attaching it to, whether doing braids or twists.

personally i think you should do treebraids. they have the same benefits of crochet braids but it takes less time and its not tedious.plus with tree braids you can keep your edges out and just blend it into the hair. i think both are damaging because you braid in the beginning of kinky twists. the only diff is kinky twists are bigger but so can micros just turn them into individuals

I have worn both micros and kinky twists. IMO bigger braids helps me to retain more length (but not along the hairline and edges). IMO moisturizing in micros makes the hair unravel, and oily (if you use an oil based moisterizer), but the with kinky twists the hair acts more like kinky textured hair, so it doesn't mind the added moisture (whether it is oil based or whatever moisturizer you decide to use.

If you've had problems with micros before, why do it again? Personally I like twists better than braids. Either one can be damaging to your hair though

Back