Kinky Twist Care

laurend085

How do I take care of my hair while having kinky twist extensions as far as washing, moisturizing, getting the hair to lay down, product use etc?

I washed every two weeks with diluted shampoo in an applicator bottle. I dc'd with duluted conditioner and pressed it into the twists and rinsed. I moisturized daily but lightly with either infusiun 23 or aphogee pro v leave in diluted with water. Wrapped bonnet over hair at night. There are details of all my installs (3) in my fotki under 2008.

I have had kinky twists with Isis extensions for about 2 weeks now and sleep in a satin slumber cap at night and wash my hair with Mane and Tail and moisturize with olive oil but ordered a better shampoo and conditioner online last night: DHD H2O shampoo and Relief conditioner by Nat Lewis and Lisa Akbari's moisture plus as a daily moisturizer--- I hope to keep these in for another 6 weeks (8 weeks total) and then wash and trim some of my relaxer off (transitioning) and then get a sew in weave.

I washed every two weeks with diluted shampoo in an applicator bottle. I dc'd with duluted conditioner and pressed it into the twists and rinsed. I moisturized daily but lightly with either infusiun 23 or aphogee pro v leave in diluted with water. Wrapped bonnet over hair at night. There are details of all my installs (3) in my fotki under 2008.
That's exactly what I do :grin: except I use a different leave-in.

How do I take care of my hair while having kinky twist extensions as far as washing: I use Diluted Organix Coconut shampoo.. I put my hair in about six sections and I gently massaged my scalp with the pads of my fingertips. Usually I wash every two weeks.
Deep Conditiooninh: Olive Oil and Honey under neath the dryer. I would recommend using an applicator bottle.

moisturizing: I use Just for Me Leave in Conditioner with Rose water/essential lemon oil and spray at the twists. And on the scalp a mixture of coconut oil/rosemary. Just a tad bit. You don't want heavy build up. I also use The green tea aphogee keratin spray.

Getting the hair to lay down: For my edges...unruly things... I use Afroveda whipped gelly and castor oil. Or Eco styler gel tn the white/clear tub

I've been in mine for a month and coulpe of weeks. I have to redo the front soon. Buy I know my hair is healthy. I have pics in my album.

:yep:

*I'm going to try baking soda infused with shampoo soon*

I know this is an LHCF no-no, but I don't like to wash my kinky twists. It makes them sooo heavy, and they take forever to dry. I found that if you put less product on your braids or twists, you have less of a need to wash them.

I just sprayed braid spray or oil on my scalp and massaged it, and sprayed plain water and/or braid spray on my twists to keep them moisturized. The whole point of getting twists for me is to KIS and washing extensions is a lot of work. Of course, that is also why I don't get them often.

If I would have gone swimming in them, I would have had to wash them; not good to let chlorine sit in your hair with or without extensions.

I put them in a ponytail and tied them down at night with a scarf to get them to "lay down." I sometimes had frizzies because I didn't let the braider cut or burn my fly-aways

To take care of my kinky twists in the past, I co-washed a few times a week followed by and ACV rinse (made them shiny and sealed the cuticle). I would spray twice daily with either a protein spray (Aphogee and Infusium 23) or a moisture spray (water, glycerin rose water). I would use a different day on alternate days!
My hair grew with this practice and I got closer to BSL doing this. I think as long as your hair is well moisturized and clean, it will thrive.
HTHs! :)

Back