Kinky-Curly Knot Today....Is it working for you?

Kinky-Curly Knot Today...How doe you use it?

• I use it straight out of the bottle

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • I use the Kimmaytube recipe or some variation of it

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I have never used it

Votes: 34 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One of my staple products... I haven't found any conditioner quite like it. The whole foods in my area can't keep it in stock

I have like 3 bottles of this stuff. I can use it straight, but most times I use it in a mixture (an oil + aloe vera juice). It goes well under gels too. This is my primary leave-in.

It's my HG. I use it straight out the bottle on freshly pooed (sulfate free of course) hair. It detangles my hair like no other and when I do conditioner only styling, my hair doesn't shrink up as much as it does with other conditioners.

I used the KCKT as a detangler, and it was okay, but it seemed that everytime I used it, it would dry chalky. :( It was expensive, so I'm going to give the kimmaytube recipe a try this weekend, I hate for it to just sit there.

Don't get me started on the Curling Custard...I'm SO MAD that ooze. Cost me 16, and I've only used it twice.:wallbash:

It's the only thing that's come close to keeping my natural 4b hair moisturized and it fights shrinkage. So even though it's missing something, it works for now and I'll keep repurchasing.

Never tried it and I've never had the desire to try any KCCC products. They just don't seem like they're worth the $. *Kanye shrug*

doesn't really do anything but i use it to detangle. It works about as well as aussie moist or other cone filled condis for detangling but without the cones. (and works dry, which I've been trying lately)

I tried the kimmay method and thought it was okay. Maybe I should have used it more to see the results. I mainly use it when i'm using the entire line.

It's the only thing that's come close to keeping my natural 4b hair moisturized and it fights shrinkage. So even though it's missing something, it works for now and I'll keep repurchasing.

It's funny that you mention this because I think that it increased shrinkage for me.

To answer the original question, I'm not a fan of KT.

I tried it on wet hair...didn't like it.

I tried it on dry hair...didn't like it.

It makes my hair feel weird: not dry, but dryish, if that makes any sense.

I even tried that Kimmaytube mix (as much as I hate mixing stuff) because I already had all of the ingredients in the house. The mixture did make my hair soft, but I'm not giving any credit to KT because I know that aloe vera juice (by itself and with oils) makes my hair soft.

Yeah...it doesn't provide me with any more curl definition, moisture, etc than my Mixed Chick's...and the price doesn't excite me either. But there are some who rave about it!

I actually just used it today for the first time and I love it! Straight out the bottle! I will test it out for the next week and use the Kinky Curling Custard along with it then shoot a video review about it. :)

So I have been using the KCKT straight out of the bottle now for about 2 weeks now. While I think it is decent (it moisturizes a bit without being greasy), I am not blown away by it. At this point I have no choice but to continue to use it (spent the money already and can’t get a refund) but I don’t think I will buy it again (can’t justify the $15 price tag). I am eyeing some other Leave-in-Conditioners. I have heard some good things about the Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship LIC and the Taliah Waajid The Great Detangler at $4 and $7 respectively. Don’t get me wrong I am not a cheap person, or so I’d like to think, but I just want to make sure I am getting my monies worth. If anyone has any suggestions on a good non-greasy LIC I would appreciate your suggestions.

per the ladies of lhc i doctored it up to make the kimmaytube version..it works well doctored up

but i wont be repurchasing--not worth the price imho

I have like 3 bottles of this stuff. I can use it straight, but most times I use it in a mixture (an oil + aloe vera juice). It goes well under gels too. This is my primary leave-in.

Just wanted to say that I no longer mix oil with this. I only mix it with Aloe Vera Juice. I can stretch one bottle into 2 mixing half KCKT and half Aloe Juice. Works just fine and I end up with the same consitency.

Last edited:
Yeah I bought 2 bottles of KCKT just off of the rave reviews and I am not happy with the consistency. since its paid for I use it as a first point of contact with my hair just to use it up then I moisturize. I will try mixing it with HE HH conditioner to make it a stronger leave in, IDK its just not enough for me. I think Priss Pot is onto something with that simple recipe. I would jump on it if I wasn't allergic to aloe.

It works well on my twistouts. But for my buns and daily protective styles which are my more smooth styles, it's Giovanni Direct leave-in all the way. I only add EVOO to my leave-ins.

My hair (natural) does not like this. Kimmay's recipe helped me to use the rest of the bottle but I've found Herbal Essences TLR-LI actually works better in my leave in mixture.

I love KCKT but....

Oyin's Hair Dew is so much better!

*runs out of thread clenching hair dew*

If you are having a love/hate relationship with it, try Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner. It is great as a deep and leave in conditioner with a similar consistency as KCKT.
:spank:both of you! I'm not supposed to be buying anything else!...are they cheaper than KCKT? :look:

I wanted it for a while, esp after Kimmaytube posted her recipe, but I finally got my hands on a free sample and was kinda glad I didn't pay for a bottle. It leaves my hair kinda dry straight out of the bottle, and as part of the KLI it's only slightly better. I prefer GDLI in the mixture, and Giovanni SAS as a leave-in.

Back