KeraCare & Mizani in DUANE READE?????

MissFallon

Has anyone else seen this? Today I was in NYC in Harlem (135th &8th Ave) and wondered into Duane Reade's haircare section. I couldn't believe it; sitting right on the shelf was the whole line of Mizani products and Keracare:eek: . I thought these were salon products that were sold in only BSS, has anyone else seen these products in their regular drugstore??? Would u buy them???

A friend of mine that is a licensed stylist was telling me that JCPenney is now selling Keracare. I don't see a problem with getting it from a store like this but if it were a store owned by some one that is not American I probably wouldn't buy it. The Asian owned shops in my area are really good for mixing up their own products.:eek: Especially nail products. Actually they are pretty good at knocking off a lot of things.:lachen:

The JC Penney in my area has been selling KeraCare products for years. Then again, it's a licensed salon.

Depending on how its stocked-- I'd buy it.

I'd pass if:

*If the line is spotty- with only 2 or 3 items (a shampoo with no conditioner, and maybe a leave in thrown in)

*The line is never really kept in stock from week to week.

*The packaging isn't current.

*The product doesn't smell of look right.

Then its probably diverted product.

But if the line is 1.) FULL-- from the shampoo, conditioner, reconstructor, neutralizing poo, leave in, gel down to the last hair finishing gloss, 2.) is always replenished weekly/monthly and 3.) is wrapped in the manufacturers current packaging-- its meant to be there.

Here's my conspiracy theory.:lol: I think the goal of most product manufactorers is to go mass retail. Remaining salon exclusive doesn't really pay. The bottom line is always money. Once they get their lines to bigger stores like Trade Secret, Ulta, and Duane sales sky rocket. I think they use independent salons as marketing tools to get the name out and once the product has a reputation they slowly market it to mass retailers. Look at Nexxus. They let salons/stylists build the name and then sold out to mass retailers. Same thing with Tressemme, Pantene, and others that were once salon exclusive. And salon exclusive doesn't really mean that much. All a mass retailer has to do is slap a salon chair in the back to be considered "a salon" which is what it looks like ULTA and Trade Secret have done :lol:

Thats why I don't feel sorry for people like Paul Mitchell.:lol: I think he has a hand in the mass diversion his products are experiencing. His products are on every Target and Walgreens shelf in America! FULLY STOCKED week after week. Now wouldn't the purchasing of enough product from distributors to keep Targets across the country fully stocked at all times raise an eyebrow at headquarters if diversion was such a big concern? They know Mom and Pop salons are NOT selling that much Paul Mitchell.:lol: I think he puts up such a big fuss to keep salons loyal to his line. If he acts like he is against diversion, they'll continue to retail his stuff too. Money.

Hmmm..

There is this overpriced BSS around where I work and the only thing they never have is small containers of relaxer.. But alot of other BSS have spotty supply out in baltimore.. I wouldnt buy from them anyways, cuz they are like double what irby's costs :lol:

Is Duane Reade the equiv. of Target or CVS??

Sistaslick said:
Depending on how its stocked-- I'd buy it.

I'd pass if:

*If the line is spotty- with only 2 or 3 items (a shampoo with no conditioner, and maybe a leave in thrown in)

*The line is never really kept in stock from week to week.

*The packaging isn't current.

*The product doesn't smell of look right.

Then its probably diverted product.

But if the line is 1.) FULL-- from the shampoo, conditioner, reconstructor, neutralizing poo, leave in, gel down to the last hair finishing gloss, 2.) is always replenished weekly/monthly and 3.) is wrapped in the manufacturers current packaging-- its meant to be there.

Here's my conspiracy theory.:lol: I think the goal of most product manufactorers is to go mass retail. Remaining salon exclusive doesn't really pay. The bottom line is always money. Once they get their lines to bigger stores like Trade Secret, Ulta, and Duane sales sky rocket. I think they use independent salons as marketing tools to get the name out and once the product has a reputation they slowly market it to mass retailers. Look at Nexxus. They let salons/stylists build the name and then sold out to mass retailers. Same thing with Tressemme, Pantene, and others that were once salon exclusive. And salon exclusive doesn't really mean that much. All a mass retailer has to do is slap a salon chair in the back to be considered "a salon" which is what it looks like ULTA and Trade Secret have done :lol:

Thats why I don't feel sorry for people like Paul Mitchell.:lol: I think he has a hand in the mass diversion his products are experiencing. His products are on every Target and Walgreens shelf in America! FULLY STOCKED week after week. Now wouldn't the purchasing of enough product from distributors to keep Targets across the country fully stocked at all times raise an eyebrow at headquarters if diversion was such a big concern? They know Mom and Pop salons are NOT selling that much Paul Mitchell.:lol: I think he puts up such a big fuss to keep salons loyal to his line. If he acts like he is against diversion, they'll continue to retail his stuff too. Money.

Great analysis. I never knew Tressemme and Pantene were formerly Salon-only.

jadestar said:
Great analysis. I never knew Tressemme and Pantene were formerly Salon-only.

I knew about Tressemme, but didn't know Pantene was until I read it on a salon owner/stylists forum.

Duane Reade had all of the products from the shampoo to the serum to the relaxer (for Mizani). Ive never used Keracare so I couldn't distinguish it like that. I just thought this was interesting that they had it because I've never seen it sold in drugstores like that. They had it set up really nice and there was plently of it in stock.

Well, that didn't sound like it got snatched off the back of somebody's truck then, girl. :lol:

I do know the Walgreens over here diverted some Joico stuff, though.:look:
They had 2 dusty looking bottles of the K-pac reconstructor for $2.79 in the "bargain bin." That was months ago, and I hadn't seen anything there from that line before then or since. :lol: But the Paul Mitchell, Sebastian, and Biolage lines there stay in full stock-- everything you can dream of. And I'm not even going to get on Super Target with all of that plus the full line of Redken. That's no accident.

KhandiB said:
ok, forgive my ignorance

what is diverting mean??

Teach me :lol:

From Joico's site:

Diversion is the unauthorized distribution, buying and selling of professional products to unauthorized outlets outside of the professional industry.

Basically when product distributors sell salon exclusive products to places other than salons.

Back