Kenra Nourishing Masque--Preliminary Review

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Kenra Nourishing Masque--Preliminary Review *UPDATE*

Today was the first time I used the KNM. I call this review a "preliminary" one because sometimes you can't judge based on one use.

I LOVE the consistency of the product. It's so thick, and rich, and creamy. I'm so glad they opted to put this in a jar, rather than a bottle or tube. :up:
It was rich enough that I didn't have to use much. For the amount I used, I could probably get 4 to 5 uses out of the 5.1 oz. jar that it's sold in.

When I applied the product to my hair, I didn't feel a difference in the way my hair felt as with some products when you first put them on. I let it stay on for 5 minutes (directions say 5-10). I rinsed and that's when I felt satiny hair. :up:

For detangling, I would give it an A-, because I did have to use a small bit of effort to detangle under the shower head. I started not to apply a leave-in, but I did use a small amount of my Sheamoisture.

When my hair dried, there was nothing special to the way it felt. I admit that I was expecting a moisture dream when my hair was dry. Based on this I would say the product is NOT worth $20. But, I also am not going to draw that conclusion yet, because there could be several reasons why I didn't experience the performance I expected:

1) I am 9-weeks post relaxer. Conditioners that do great on hair at this stage are few and far between. I will try it again a few weeks after my next retouch.

2) I might need to clarify my hair. I'll make sure I do this before I use it again, or at least close to that time.

3) This might be one of those products that doesn't necessarily make the hair feel good, but is still good for the hair. There are some really good ingredients in the product.

4) This might be one of those products that takes a few days to "activate." I've used conditioners before that didn't seem to take effect until a day or two after I'd used it. In fact, it's a few hours since my hair has been dry and it does feel better than when first dry.

For those of you who might be wondering how this product compares with good ol' Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, based on my experience today I'd say Kenra is overpricing the WRONG product! Kenra MC is still the champ. :up:

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.
I still use the Kenra Intensive Emollient treatment with great results each time.
I saw the Masque and wondered how it compared to KIE.

LABETT said:
Thanks for the review.
I still use the Kenra Intensive Emollient treatment with great results each time.
I saw the Masque and wondered how it compared to KIE.
They sound alot alike. I also wonder how they compare.

BUMP

I used it again today. This time, I am one week and 3 days post relaxer and I STILL am not crazy about the product. The results were the same as above. The slip is not amazing at all. :(

I will give it the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe it's doing something for the hair even though it doesn't necessarily show in the perfomance of the product. Nevertheless, it's not for me. I won't repurchase it, and if I can find my receipt--it's going back to Ulta. :yep:

Last edited:
I'm glad I did a search for this product. I was interested in purchasing it but after reading your review I think I will hold on to my $20 and put it towards another product.

Can anyone give me feedback on any of these from the Kenra line:
  • Intensive Emollient Treatment - Labette what do you like about it?
  • Platinum Reconstructor
I use the moisturizing shampoo and the clarifier and I love them both. I'm thinking about using this line exclusively so now I want to find out more about the conditioners.

TIA!

I saw this in the Beauty First a few days ago. I like the jar, but dang that is way too much for that. I can get a 5lb tub of Motions Moisture plus for that price.

I was going to try it at one point, but not after SG's review! Thanks! :)

I wonder is Kenra still gives samples like they used to. You used to be able to email them and ask for samples of stuff.

Blkbeautyhair said:
I'm glad I did a search for this product. I was interested in purchasing it but after reading your review I think I will hold on to my $20 and put it towards another product.

• Platinum Reconstructor
I use the moisturizing shampoo and the clarifier and I love them both. I'm thinking about using this line exclusively so now I want to find out more about the conditioners.

TIA!

Intensive Emollient is WONDERFUL with a capital W. It's my understanding that it has been replaced with this new stuff though. :( The Intensive Emollient gives slip and moisture and you got a little more for your money than the new junk. :(

I don't know about the platinum reconstructor. You can try makeupalley.com for reviews.

Ugh! I hope I can still find some Emollient Treatment. I need to hit Ulta this week and see. Thanks for the tip about makeupalley.com. I'm going to check them out.

Blkbeautyhair said:

• Platinum Reconstructor

TIA!

I like this product, but it is overpriced, I think. The bottle is shaped so that it is hard to get the conditioner out and for that price I want EVERY drop of it. It gives great slip, though. I got a free sample of it after emailing Kenra to request one and I loved it. I bought a few when BeautyFirst was having a But One Get One 50% off sale and I also got 20% off as a Platinum Club member. I still have some from that sale, but I don't think I would repurchase it. I even emailed them about that stupid bottle shape and how hard it is to get the conditioner out.

WAIT - I just went to their website - they changed the bottle!!! I must have not been the only one writing in about that crap!

I also like the Platinum Moisturizer Conditioner. It smells really good.

Back