Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Both

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Auburn

How do you keep your hair moisturized? Do you LOCK in moisture (ie: sealing, Sabino moisture block, etc.) or do you use humectants to keep moisture drawn to the hair (ie: glycerin, honeyquat, etc.) ?

Which one do you think is more beneficial?

For me i voted lock in the moisture, Humectants work for my hair one day and then don't the next. Depends on the temp and humidity outside also. I prefer to use things that i know will give me constant moisture. I try to use products with humectants low on the ingredient list and then seal with an oil on damp hair.

I dunno. I'm simply moisturizing and sealing with Keracare and Olive Oil. I think glycerin works very very very well, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet :(

I don't use glycerin and all that consistently enough to know if they work for me. I didn't even seal until recently, but now I use a little jojoba oil on my ends after cowashing and I think it's doing wonders.

I usually do both, like one week I would lock in and the next I would use a humectant. I think locking in the moisture is more beneficial.

Yeah for me it depends on the humidity outside. If its humid Ill use my aloe vera juice/water/glycerin mix. If its not then I just moisturize and seal with whatever I feel like using...lately its been the whipped clouds from hairveda and ill seal with the vatika frosting.

I don't seal, my hair pretty much detests oils of any kind. I just use quality moisturizers that work for me. and keep my hair thoroughly hydrated

When you have a truly great moisturizer, there's no nead to seal :yep:

I dunno. I'm simply moisturizing and sealing with Keracare and Olive Oil. I think glycerin works very very very well, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet:(

Sorry OT but have you looked at Walmart in the regular forst aid aisle or at ur grocery store. I thought I could only find it at my Whole Foods store until I found it at WalMart for half the price...Also, I moisture and seal with Motions Marula moisturizer and seal with Monoi Oil.... but I damp my hair first with my water/ aloejuice/ glycerin mix...

Last edited:
Ive found after mannnny years of learning that serums lock out moisture from the hair,they really do not seal much in either. My hair will be terribly dry the day after using anything other than a verry small amount of serum, this goes for other hair products too,,, i feel much better off with very little product unless im going curly in which case i MUST use a ton of product to tame it. This has been a lesson that took yearrrrrs for me to learn. I really do think silicones cause terrible dryess just because your hair cannot get its much needed moisture when its coated so heavily.....

I lock in moisture for the most part. Can't tell which one is more beneficial, but locking in moisture has been good to me so far.

i do both

but

if i have a bun(which is 99% of the time)

i will add moisture (water) to my hair when i wash my hands after visiting the ladies. i simply wash my hands then run my hands in my hair and redo the pony.

(i also add water to my face :yep:)

In my moisturizing spray I add glycerine and I usually apply olive oil (and sometimes shea butter) after moisturizing... So I guess you can say I do both.

Last edited:
Put me in the lock camp when I'm natural or heat straightened. You certainly don't want to attract moisture when you are thermally straightened and natural :lol: :hair:

I lock in the moisture with Castor Oil. After DCing and washing my hair, I use a small amt of my OLD dc (Silk Elements MegaSilk) on my hair as a leave in and seal with castor oil. My braid outs are shiny and FIERCE and my hair has NEVER experienced dryness. :yep:

Since I use plain water as my moisturizer, I use castor oil afterward. That stops it from evaporating too quickly which can leave my hair kind of hard and dry feeling.

I don't seal, my hair pretty much detests oils of any kind. I just use quality moisturizers that work for me. and keep my hair thoroughly hydrated

When you have a truly great moisturizer, there's no nead to seal :yep:

I agree. If your moisturizer is so good, you shouldn't need to "seal" it in. And if your DC is good enough, you shouldn't need a heavy duty moisturizer and a leave-in and a sealer as well. When I used Oyin's honey hemp conditioner in the past to moisturize, I didn't need to "seal" it in. It works great all by itself.

Castor Oil has been working really well for me. My hair is flatironed now so I really don't want to put anything with water on it and the castor oil has been keeping my hair soft and moisturized.

I do both.
I use veggie glycerin or a glycerin based product and seal with extra virgin olive oil.

I moisturize with ORS carrot oil and/or NTM Silk Touch Leave-in. Then I seal with Hot Six Oil or EVCO. I've done this 2x daily since day 1 of my HHJ.

ETA: I also cowash at least 2x weekly and dc 2x weekly so my naturally dry hair rarely has time to dry out! :lol:

Last edited:
I do both. In the morning I moisturize my hair, usually with a cream based moisturizer mixed with s curl. I put on my shower cap, and do the baggy method. When I shower the steam from the water acts as heat and helps to moisturize my hair. I don't take off my shower cap until I' fully dressed and ready to do my hair. This is when I seal the hair with jojoba oil, by that time my hair is super soft.

How do you keep your hair moisturized? Do you LOCK in moisture (ie: sealing, Sabino moisture block, etc.) or do you use humectants to keep moisture drawn to the hair (ie: glycerin, honeyquat, etc.) ?

Which one do you think is more beneficial?

I don't like humectants they suck literally lol I prefer to m/s

I'm low po, so most product will literally just sit on top of my hair. I keep my hair stretched through the week to make it easier to get moisture in. While I moisturize every day (I use watered down conditioner mixed with vegetable glycerin), when it seems a little dry I spray it with warm water, then add a moisturizer and a sealant. A little product goes a long way when I use the warm water trick.

Back