Keeping Straight Natural Hair Moisturized

MsLizziA

How do the naturals that wear their hair straight a lot keep their hair moisturized without the weight or the stringy look to their hair? I know its winter so a lot of ppl are wearing their hair straight.

Anyone wanna help out?

How do the naturals that wear their hair straight a lot keep their hair moisturized without the weight or the stringy look to their hair? I know its winter so a lot of ppl are wearing their hair straight.

Anyone wanna help out?

ikno using oil based moisturizers are better when you're trying to keep your hair straight longer..

using a water based moisturizer will make it revert back much quiicker :ohwell:

I haven't been able to wrap my mind around using a product without water and thinking it's moisturizing. But I keep trying so I use Nature's Blessing. It's light, not too greasy and it makes my hair soft and shiny. Soft hair doesn't mean moisturized hair to me (sounds silly, I know.) Perhaps I'm just used to wetting my hair when I need more moisture since I wear my hair mostly kinky (not straight with heat.) Since that's going to change for the upcoming year...I better get with it.

Anyone wanna help out?

I use qhemet's brbc and seal with a light oil (hempseed oil, grapeseed oil or jojoba oil). After that I wrap my hair for the night and the next day my hair is moisturized but still straight. I do this about twice a week when I'm wearing my hair straight. Hth

i don't use anything at all. :look:
my hair gets weighed down really, really easily, and i've found that if i've DC'ed well enough, it will retain the moisture until my next wash.

Hello,

I Use KBB cream on the ends and Sally's Generic Chi Silk infusion for the length of my hair. It works perfectly. not too heavy but keeps my ends straight and moisturized. :)

No matter what style it's in, my hair needs water.

I part my hair down the middle, take a little of my favorite "good grease" (usually nature's blessings or carol's daughter kizzy pomade) and my favorite conditioner for a water-based product (tigi bedhead moisture maniac for me), rub the two products in my hands until it becomes creamy like, then apply it to the length of my hair. I then twist both halves into two bantu knots, put a satin bonnet on, sleep, and in the morning, my hair is very moisturized with soft waves.

I can't promise that it won't look stringy, but it will be moisturized. Mine usually comes out shiny and refreshed looking actually. I don't use a lot of either product.

Last edited:
For the first week I just use oil sheen. I tried the Argan Oil Sheen by CON and I like it. The second week if needed I use Mink/castor oil hairdress by Hollywood beauty. A little goes a long way :yep:

Ok so i have a couple of questions. How do i know whats water based and whats oil based?
If any of you own the maxiglide, have you tried adding oil to the water bottle thats on it to give your hair sheen as you flat iron?

Oh and how do you wear it to bed? How long does your flat iron job last??

Ok so i have a couple of questions. How do i know whats water based and whats oil based?
If any of you own the maxiglide, have you tried adding oil to the water bottle thats on it to give your hair sheen as you flat iron?

Oh and how do you wear it to bed? How long does your flat iron job last??

Any product where the first ingredient is water is water-based in my book. Conditioners are great examples, but so are other products. Same thing for oil-based: if the first ingredient is some sort of oil, the I'd presume it's oil based.

I lurve the maxiglide. I have not added oil to the water, but I smooth a little Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant after I flat iron each section.

I don't usually wear my hair bone straight because it's super fine and on the thin side (despite being natural). I prefer slight waves, so I sleep with my hair in one french braid and pin curl the tail and ends, or two bantu knots on nights I moisturize. My current job has lasted 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Co- signing!!! Even if you have to spend a little more money and/or time to condition really good, this should keep u from needing more moisture til the next wash.

i don't use anything at all. :look:
my hair gets weighed down really, really easily, and i've found that if i've DC'ed well enough, it will retain the moisture until my next wash.

A few drops of pure argan oil on the ends...mostly to keep it from frizzing the 1st 3 days after a set or flat iron, but then later on I moisturize by using a drop of conditioner on ends then seal with a few drops of oil then wrap, it keeps the hair moist but doesnt make it revert

Last edited:
Any product where the first ingredient is water is water-based in my book. Conditioners are great examples, but so are other products. Same thing for oil-based: if the first ingredient is some sort of oil, the I'd presume it's oil based.

I lurve the maxiglide. I have not added oil to the water, but I smooth a little Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant after I flat iron each section.

I don't usually wear my hair bone straight because it's super fine and on the thin side (despite being natural). I prefer slight waves, so I sleep with my hair in one french braid and pin curl the tail and ends, or two bantu knots on nights I moisturize. My current job has lasted 3 weeks.

Do you have any pics of your straightened hair with your bantu knots? I would like to see how that style looks. My hair is super fine and thin as well and I usually try pin curling when straight, but I always have awkward bends from the bobby pins.

I flat ironed my hair the Thursday before last (Nov 15) and it's still straight. The first couple of days I was using coconut oil to moisturize. Then I discovered that I could completely wet my hair with homemade rose water and it didn't revert. So I've been moisturizing with rosewater, sealing with vitamin E oil, and twisting my hair as a protective style for the past week.

I flat ironed my hair the Thursday before last (Nov 15) and it's still straight. The first couple of days I was using coconut oil to moisturize. Then I discovered that I could completely wet my hair with homemade rose water and it didn't revert. So I've been moisturizing with rosewater, sealing with vitamin E oil, and twisting my hair as a protective style for the past week.

@ the bolded...how?! I would love to try it, but I am almost certain I would have a fro' after that....do u spritz a lot? the ends only? sorry for all the questions....but I gotzzz ta know? lol[USER][/USER]petitfille

I honestly don't know lol. I was fully expecting it to revert the moment moisture touched it. In the past I would use aloe vera juice, water and glycerin, and my hair would revert in a day. It's not as straight anymore, but it's definitely not curly! It looks like an old blow dried twist out or something. I should have taken pictures.

Eta: and I've been working out so my roots are puffy. But yeah, I've been spraying my hair in sections, saturating it in rosewater. The ends are still straight.

[USER][/USER]petitefille, hmmmm:scratchch, welp when this rollerset I have gets old, I am going to give that rose water a try...thanx, will let ya know how it works out lol.

[USER][/USER]petitefille, hmmmm:scratchch, welp when this rollerset I have gets old, I am going to give that rose water a try...thanx, will let ya know how it works out lol.

It's amazing! My hair is incredibly soft too. It's a bit greasy, but I always wear it up anyway. When my hair is out I usually wash weekly. It's been over a week and I'm reluctant to wash because it feels so soft and I like dealing with my hair straight (haven't spotted any SSKs).

I use Ojon Restorative Treatment. I know it is supposed to be used and then washed out, but I use about the size of a couple of grains of rice, and put it in...works wonders! I also find the new formula to be much lighter and less buildup...

im not natural but i stretch my relaxers...petitefille im very curious about your rose water technique. What exactly does your home made rose water consist of? Could i just use regular store bought rose water?

im not natural but i stretch my relaxers...@petitefille im very curious about your rose water technique. What exactly does your home made rose water consist of? Could i just use regular store bought rose water?

I have no idea... this is my first time using rosewater on flat ironed hair. I should clarify, by the time I was using the rosewater I was no longer wearing my hair straight and out (I was wearing it in a bun). I wet my hair with it, sealed with oil, and put into twists. I don't know how straight your hair would remain, but my hair did not revert in the twists. That's what I meant. So like... I took a section, sprayed with rosewater until wet, and the hair remained straight (then I twisted it)---as opposed to wetting my hair and having it revert right away like it usually does. I don't know what would happen if you tried to wear your hair straight after that.

It was a homemade recipe that I found on the Internet. I don't remember exactly what I used, but I took a bunch of roses from our garden, pulled apart the petals and threw the rest aside. Poured hot water over the petals and let steep. I added vitamin E oil, tea trea oil, and lavendar oil I believe, and I've been storing it in the fridge.

I hope this helps!

petitefille - is it possible that it's ur silicone based heat protectant that's doing its job so well that ur hair isn't reverting from the rose water?

I've never come across this type of heat protectant personally, but when my old hairdresser used to flat iron my dds' hair, they'd sometimes get it damp in the shower (despite my protests lol), and their hair refused to revert until I shampoo'd it. So it had to be the protectant she used.

Just an idea.

petitefille - is it possible that it's ur silicone based heat protectant that's doing its job so well that ur hair isn't reverting from the rose water?

I've never come across this type of heat protectant personally, but when my old hairdresser used to flat iron my dds' hair, they'd sometimes get it damp in the shower (despite my protests lol), and their hair refused to revert until I shampoo'd it. So it had to be the protectant she used.

Just an idea.

I actually don't know but that's really interesting! I used Dove Heat Therapy I believe.

Back