keeping hair moisterized in dry winter air-help pl

FineChyna

i need some assistance. i am still transitioning and i am having trouble keeping my hair from drying out in this weather. i moisterize and seal in the moister but within 12- 24 hours my hair is dry and tangled. because one side of my hair is super thick it takes for ever to finger comb to prevent ripping my hair out with a wide tooth comb.

does anyone know of some good tips or products that can help me out. up to a few weeks ago i could use a moisterizer (CD's HHB) for 2 days straight and then seal in the moisture with hemp hair grease and not need to do anything until the day of my weekly wash and deep condition.

maybe this was posted already and i missed it cause i am not here much, but if it was please post the link or post some search terms so i can look at past posts. ok thanks

One tip I have is during winter, never go outside without your head covered. Always wear a scarf, a hat, your hood, etc. (keeps the moisture in).

(I guess I have two tips
smile.gif
)--Something else I read, keep a large pot of boiling water on the stove for a while. It keeps the air in your house moist. (Now I have not tried this one yet, but I think Im going to put a pot on today.)

perfect peace
Rose.gif

my mother does that. Well she use to use the stove to heat the house ( damn new york housing and no heat), but she always left a pot of water on the open stove ( so the posionous stove gas wouldn't kill us).

water is the saviour.

I agree with everyone else. Anything that adds moisture to the air is a good idea. With all the dry heat in buildings, your hair and skin can get quite crispy. My humidifier is a must during the winter. I can't even sleep without it because my house gets so stuffy with the heat running. You can get a pretty good one from Walmart or Target for around $20.

How long has it been since you did a clarifying shampoo? I ask because you said you were using grease on the ends of your hair. I do this too somtimes. When it get reeeeally cold outside grease acts as a great insulator...for a while. After a few weeks straight of using grease my hair becomes dry because the petrolatum in the hair grease will repel water as well as the cold air. So your hair starts out moisturized but after while it feels dry from not getting "new" moisture. A good clarifying shampoo should remedy the problem by removing the buildup so you hair can receive more mositure during your rinses or regular shampoos.

I agree with the previous posters. Clarify first and protect the hair from the elements. Even if you have steam heat (Oil furnace) in upper NY I would go with a vaporizer to add moisture into the your home air. Back in the day my aunts would put a special pan of water on the radiators.

I'd use ACV instead of shampoo to clarify. Your hair will be even drier after using the shampoo or clarifying conditioner. That's how it works for me anyway.

Wear a silk scarf under your wool/cotton hats in the winter.

Back