Keeeping the legnth?!

elite_chiq

Ok i have 4a/b hair. Ive had it in indvidual extensions for 3 week. Ive got atleast half an inch of growth, my hair grows 6-9 inches a yr (adding up all the growth i get). But i CANNOT keep the legnth. Im thinking imagine if i could, imagine how much legnth id have!!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gifmy goal by the end of this yrs is to have 12inches front/middle and 10 in the back had about 7/8inches of hair but i had to trim it (before the split ends went really bad).So now i have 4/5 inches. Since ive been on this board just reading it has given me alot of info. Now come someone please give a girl some personal assistant.Thanx xoxo /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes. Well for about 2 years I wore individual braids. And my hair grew-alot. But I didn't retain lenght. I think it was because individual braids FRAY your own hair. Dry it out. Want to grow heathier hair quickly? Weave it. All of it. (A few tracks will also damage your hair) It has to be a sew-in and even the nape of your neck shoud be sewed up. (Just wear low pony-tails) My hair is now a bit past b/s and that's how I did it. Now my goal is keeping it HEALTHY.

In regards to keeping the length while your hair is in individual braids the key word is MOISTURE!!!
Keep your hair moisturized with a good braid spray and you should see better results! Also hair vitamins are always a good help! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HTH

Henrilou is right. I had a weave for about 3 weeks, and this is no joke. My hair grew at least an inch. I'm thinking it was because I was adding a lot of moisture to my scalp underneath the hair, but try a weave, and get a good stylist to do it.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Drea84 said:
In regards to keeping the length while your hair is in individual braids the key word is MOISTURE!!!
Keep your hair moisturized with a good braid spray and you should see better results! Also hair vitamins are always a good help! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

can u recommend any products that will give alot or mositue and keep it soft, not to much protein though becuase it makes me hair hard. BTW u got my insperatiobn tweet on ur av -sings- callll me

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
elite_chiq said:
can u recommend any products that will give alot or mositue and keep it soft, not to much protein though becuase it makes me hair hard. BTW u got my insperatiobn tweet on ur av -sings- callll me

[/ QUOTE ]

No Problem /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I can only recommend products that I have used and was completely satisfied with (for braids).

ORS Shea Butter
This product is recommended for use by people with locks, braids, twists and for color-treated naturals. It smells great and works well to moisturize as well as soften the hair.

African Royale BRX Braid and Extensions Sheen Spray
This product does exactly what it says, it moisturizes and conditions, adds luster and softens. It soothes itching and it smells wonderful also.

Better Braids Spray
Also does what it says. It softens, conditions and controls itching. Like the other braid spray its first ingredient is water and the second is glycerine, which is the same as the s-curl activator everyones using these days!

HTH /images/graemlins/cool.gif

hie i am growing my hair with the aid of braids rite now and i havent had a relaxer in my hair since september 02 n usually my hair is breakin at the point that the two textures meet but since i started sprayin my braids with stay-soft-fro i noticed an improvement in how soft my hair is, coz the first 4 ingredients are humectants which moisturise hair by drawin moisture from air but b carefull not to spray the scalp coz the glyceryn ITCHES!, sulfur 8 is another good one (if u dont mind the smell) and it also decreases the amount of dandruf on scalp....personally i wasnt goin to wash my hair coz i've realised that my hair knots wen i wash the braids and i get more breakage wen i take them out and since i dont apply anything to my scalp my hair isnt affected by not washing. hope this helps
ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

/images/graemlins/confused.gifHi Ngaa,

What you said about not washing was interesting. I have never heard that theory before. In fact for me it is quite the opposite I absolutely have to wash my hair if not it is much more difficult to take the braids out. BUt you seem like you have your regime down packed /images/graemlins/grin.gif Happy growing!

Like NGAA I too never washed my braids. I always had significant hair growth when I wore braids. I always kept my hair moisturized and I think that help as well.

Ngaa &amp; sbaker. How long do you ladies keep your braids in for? So far I'm almost at week 3 and I haven't washed yet. I did use seabreeze though for my scalp...helped a lot. Do you go the whole 2-3 months without washing or do you rebraid monthly? Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Henrilou,

I bet a full head weave with a Closure piece, or Master Parting would be perfect for this, and look natural.

For anyone unfamiliar with these, it is a piece that looks like scalp with a parting, and hair coming out of it. You sew it on top the braids, weave tracks under it and Voila!, a natural look with none of your hair out.

well with me the length of time my braids r in 4 totally depends on how long we have between terms coz i can only get my hair braided durin the holidays (thats what i get 4 livin in a town with few black pple!!) by my aunt who lives in another town.....at the moment i've had them in for a month and i have 2more weeks coz term ends in 2 weeks....about the knots i gess my hair is crazy like that, even wen i dont wash my braids i've noticed that my hairline which comes into contact with water wen i bath/shower has more knots that the middle /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ngaa

Am I the only one that believes that you should wash your hair while in braids?!?!? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nah, I washed my hair 2x a week without fail when I had my braids in and I had thin braids down to my butt! You'd be surprised how quickly they airdried. I also sprayed them with S Curl everynight or used Carrot oil or some kind of leave in on them. I made a pact with myself never to go to bed with them dry. I am currently getting between 3/4" and 1" every 4 weeks.

I took em out just last night and had no problem. It just takes patience and a LOT of spray. lol I'll have pics up in a few weeks.

No, Drea! I washed my box braids every time I had them. I didn't do it every single day, but I did wash them. And when I get them put back in, I'll wash them then, too! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Drea84,

I've had braids for about 4 years now and I used forgo shampooing at all. Even though my hair would grow my scalp formed scabs(yuck). Since last summer I have been washing faithfully every week and I find my hair is growing faster than when I didn't wash. For me, washing also helps reduce the amount of buildup at the base of the braids. When I wash my braids I can literally see my hair has grown from the week prior. When it begins to get warmer I'm going to incorporate rinsing my hair 2x's between washings. Hopefully this will get me closer to obtaining a inch( I get a little over a 1/2 an inch a month) of growth per month.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Happy Hair Growing

AMEN!!!!
I thought I was in the twighlight zone for a minute, with all these people saying they let a whole month go by without washing there hair /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Braids or not it is still your hair underneath there!! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

HI elite_chiq,

For my last few braids I washed 1x a week but I switched my regimen up again. At the moment I wash whenever. And I apply scurl (I spray it into my palms and apply it to my braids) on M, W and F. I spray the Better Braids Hair and scalp oil and I seabreeze my scalp 1x/week(Sat). And that's it. I'm using up my shampoos so right now it's whatever I have on hand. And I have decided to condition as well, I'm using Aussie Moist (I know it'll cause buildup but my Aussie Slip will help with that). C'est ca! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ennyaa/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

Seems like everything is going well regarding your hair growth. How many more inches left to go? If I correctly remember you were trying to grow 6 by your wedding. The way your hair is growing you may end up with well over 6 inches. Whatever inches you feel you have no use for you can send them over my way. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back