Just water to moisturze?

lovegan

Can just pure water be used as moisturizer (as opposed to a leave-in)?

I've tried a variety of moisturizers in the past, a lot of which had a lot of oil and parabens in it.

For the last couple of days, I've tried this approach: I rinse/saturate my hair with water daily and seal it with a conditioning hair dress or oil that may or may not contain additional water.

When I apply my oil or hair dress, my hair is either thoroughly wet or about 50% dry. In addition, I co-wash maybe 3 days a week along with my regular regimen.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
it seems most leave-in moisturizers have two main ingredients: water and glycerine. I figure I could cut on costs; water is free!

thanks

I put water and shea butter or papaya and coconut cream on my hair daily. I use the water to help me twist my hair without using a comb...But I don't use just water to moisturize, its a good thing to use on your hair daily though.

I think that water is the best moisturizer, but it dosent last as long as the products, if you want to keep putting water in your hair every hour or so its great, but it dries out faster than the products IMO :)

I put water and shea butter or papaya and coconut cream on my hair daily. I use the water to help me twist my hair without using a comb...But I don't use just water to moisturize, its a good thing to use on your hair daily though.

thanks for your response: I use carol's daughter hair honey on my soaking wet hair to seal in the water. so far so good, but i guess only time will tell....

I think that water is the best moisturizer, but it dosent last as long as the products, if you want to keep putting water in your hair every hour or so its great, but it dries out faster than the products IMO :)

yup, you're right; i takes about 3 hours for my hair to completely dry with just water. I try to put oil over my soaking wet hair to seal it in, which seems to help it last much longer. I just hate using some many dang-on products! ($$$)

Water is the best moisturizer for hair; but you need to apply an oil or oil-based product to seal the water into your hair strands. If you just apply water only to your hair it will dry up quickly. But the added oil seals the water in making the moisture last longer. Otherwise if you just used water, then you would need to keep re-wetting your hair every couple of hours.

Water is the best moisturizer for hair; but you need to apply an oil or oil-based product to seal the water into your hair strands. If you just apply water only to your hair it will dry up quickly. But the added oil seals the water in making the moisture last longer. Otherwise if you just used water, then you would need to keep re-wetting your hair every couple of hours.

thanks for your response.

glycerine seems to be a common ingredient in a lot of water-based moisturizers too, which I assume helps hold in moisture as well?

Have you ever tried a ACV rinse after DC? I just started doing that and my hair loves it, and being natural, it lays down my hair flat and define my curls. I think that the ACV rinse helps seal your hair.

ITA. I think just water and glycerine might actually work. I use this as a face moisturizer. Do not use glycerine alone. This actually has the opposite effect.

Have you ever tried a ACV rinse after DC? I just started doing that and my hair loves it, and being natural, it lays down my hair flat and define my curls. I think that the ACV rinse helps seal your hair.

nope, i've never tried it. i've heard so much about it, but I think the scent of ACV turns me off. I use ACV for a lot of different things (cleaning, sore throats, colds etc.) but not in my hair.

I'll definitely give it a try though. thanks for the suggestion!

nope, i've never tried it. i've heard so much about it, but I think the scent of ACV turns me off. I use ACV for a lot of different things (cleaning, sore throats, colds etc.) but not in my hair.

I'll definitely give it a try though. thanks for the suggestion!

Yes the smell is horrible, I had a gag reflex when I used it for the first time. I brought some oils to help with the smell.

Back