Just used Roux Porosity Control and it didn't work for me...what did I do wrong???

jh1581

So I read through a lot of the threads yesterday about Roux PC conditioner and went to Sally's to get some. My hair is APL, 4a/b, 4 weeks post relaxer (which is usually when I really notice that I have to work harder to prevent tangles).

I put Dabur Vatika coconut oil in as a prepoo overnight, clarified with Nexxus Aloe Rid shampoo, washed with Ojon Tawaka Shampoo (I was trying to use it up), then used the Porosity Control. Left it on for about 1 minute, rinsed. I felt pretty much no difference when I rinsed in the amount of slip in my hair at that point. :nono:

Then I put ORS Olive Oil deep conditioner in and sat under the dryer for 20 min. ORS usually does a phenomenal job of providing slip, which it did again, but I thought that with the PC, the slip would be even more. I didn't have any less tangles than I usually do.

I applied my leave-ins afterwards (Ojon Rejuvenating Mist), a little bit of AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, and then sealed with Parachute coconut oil. My hair is airdrying now.

Maybe my expectations were just too high. Any suggestions as to what I did wrong??

Thanks Ladies!

Re: Just used Roux Porosity Control and it didn't work for me...what did I do wrong??

So I read through a lot of the threads yesterday about Roux PC conditioner and went to Sally's to get some. My hair is APL, 4a/b, 4 weeks post relaxer (which is usually when I really notice that I have to work harder to prevent tangles).

I put Dabur Vatika coconut oil in as a prepoo overnight, clarified with Nexxus Aloe Rid shampoo, washed with Ojon Tawaka Shampoo (I was trying to use it up), then used the Porosity Control. Left it on for about 1 minute, rinsed. I felt pretty much no difference when I rinsed in the amount of slip in my hair at that point. :nono:

Then I put ORS Olive Oil deep conditioner in and sat under the dryer for 20 min. ORS usually does a phenomenal job of providing slip, which it did again, but I thought that with the PC, the slip would be even more. I didn't have any less tangles than I usually do.

I applied my leave-ins afterwards (Ojon Rejuvenating Mist), a little bit of AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, and then sealed with Parachute coconut oil. My hair is airdrying now.

Maybe my expectations were just too high. Any suggestions as to what I did wrong??

Thanks Ladies!
'

With me I always feel the difference when my hair is dried. And maybe next time use the PC adter the DC to see if it makes a difference.

Re: Just used Roux Porosity Control and it didn't work for me...what did I do wrong??

How do you know after only 1 use? I think you need to use it a couple more times.

How do you know after only 1 use? I think you need to use it a couple more times.

Good point. In the thread that I read, a lot of girls were saying how they pretty much instantly felt the difference.

It actually feels like it's drying a little harder/stiffer than usual. I guess maybe I need to be a little more patient to see the final outcome.

I usually use it after I dc, as a final rinse

you definitely need to use it a few more times. i didn't notice a difference until i used it 3 times. now i can see that my hair has more "slip" and it's easier for me to detangle in the shower. i had 1/2 as much shed hair as I did the previous time i washed and did a roller set.

Good point. In the thread that I read, a lot of girls were saying how they pretty much instantly felt the difference.

It actually feels like it's drying a little harder/stiffer than usual. I guess maybe I need to be a little more patient to see the final outcome.

I used it for about 3-4 weeks before I saw "noticeable" difference.

However, you must keep in mind, my hair was severly porous, dry, brittle, damaged, overprocessed and lacking moisture on every possible level. You name it --- I had it.:look:

However, I can vouch that with Continued Use of this one Product, it completely changed the overall condition of my hair.

I use it weekly as a Final Rinse, After each DC Session with Heat my Hair looks/feels better as it has in Years and that was also with me going weekly to the Salon which was the biggest cause of the conditions I just described above.:yep:

Thanks everyone for the responses. When I saw the same amount of hair shedding as before when I used it in the shower, I didn't know what to think, lol. I'll continue to use it.

It completely makes sense to have to use it over time to see a difference. I plan on using it when I relax as well. Has anyone put it in and rinsed it out RIGHT BEFORE applying their relaxer as it says on the bottle? I didn't think it was good for the hair to be wet before applying a relaxer.

This is yet another board staple that absolutely does not work for me. Leaves my hair tangly and hard. :ohwell: I have tried it all kinds of ways. Before DC after DC; mixed in with other conditioner; used continuously over 4 weeks. No improvement. Currently I use Nexxus Ensure (the non-cone formula) as my acidifier (ph 3) with infinitely better results.

Currently I use Nexxus Ensure (the non-cone formula) as my acidifier (ph 3) with infinitely better results.

You are absolutely right. Nexxus Ensure is another good one with an acidic level of 3.0 ph. And French Stablizer Plus as well with a ph of 2.5:yep:

You are absolutely right. Nexxus Ensure is another good one with an acidic level of 3.0 ph. And French Stablizer Plus as well with a ph of 2.5:yep:

what type of hair do you have?

I have really course 4b hair and now im wondering if perhaps I should get Nexxus instead of the PC :ohwell: I couldnt stomach another stiff hair mishap

Thanks everyone for the responses. When I saw the same amount of hair shedding as before when I used it in the shower, I didn't know what to think, lol. I'll continue to use it.

It completely makes sense to have to use it over time to see a difference. I plan on using it when I relax as well. Has anyone put it in and rinsed it out RIGHT BEFORE applying their relaxer as it says on the bottle? I didn't think it was good for the hair to be wet before applying a relaxer.

Those directions are not for relaxer application. As suggested by somone, I used PC to coat my hair before relaxing yesterday. I had excellent results. I put it on dry hair, let it dry, and then relaxed. I was nervous about my hair being damp from the PC. I would never nor would I ever recommend following the bottle directions - apply and rinse - immediately before a relaxer.

I have really course 4b hair and now im wondering if perhaps I should get Nexxus instead of the PC :ohwell: I couldnt stomach another stiff hair mishap

Maybe I should try Nexxus Ensure as well. I have really coarse, naturally light brown (I definitely believe lighter brown hair tends to be more dry and coarse by nature), thick 4a/b (mostly b) hair. Now that my hair is pretty much completely air-dried, parts of it feel very stiff :sad:.

Will a lower pH yield better results for some people?

Thick, Coarse 4b-4z!:lachen:I do have the Nexxus Ensure which I've used. I also have the FSP ph balance 2.5 (which I haven't used yet). I do like the Nexxus Ensure alot. But I am currently using the PC and it's been working well for me.

One thing, by me DCing with Heat for an Hour, the Cuticle of my Hair is lifted/opened/raised. I am using the PC to close the cuticle, seal in the DC and cause the cuticle to lie smooth again after being raised with that heat, and to restore the ph Balance of my Hair.

I don't know what particular results you are looking for? Each of those should correct your issue with Porosity and if your Hair is Dry and Unable to Retain and Absorb Moisture.

Even when I first started using it, my hair never turned out stiff....:perplexedand my hair was very damaged and very, very porous.:nono:

Thick, Coarse 4b-4z!:lachen:I do have the Nexxus Ensure which I've used. I also have the FSP ph balance 2.5 (which I haven't used yet). I do like the Nexxus Ensure alot. But I am currently using the PC and it's been working well for me.

One thing, by me DCing with Heat for an Hour, the Cuticle of my Hair is lifted/opened/raised. I am using the PC to close the cuticle, seal in the DC and cause the cuticle to lie smooth again after being raised with that heat, and to restore the ph Balance of my Hair.

I don't know what particular results you are looking for? Each of those should correct your issue with Porosity and if your Hair is Dry and Unable to Retain and Absorb Moisture.

Even when I first started using it, my hair never turned out stiff....:perplexedand my hair was very damaged and very, very porous.:nono:

For me, I'm looking for smoother, more detangled hair that holds moisture better and doesn't feel brittle and stiff.

Even though it did NOT work for me. I agree with the suggestions to try it again a couple of times before giving up on it. I have very finicky hair that defies being categorized. I am always greatful when I find something that actually works for me.

The old none cone version of Nexxus Ensure has sadly been discontinued. The new reformulated version (with cones) is IMO not effective, I returned mine. I still see the old version on the shelves from time to time. Fortunately I have a stockpile.

You could try Renegall (sp?) from Sallys it is creamier. French Stabilizer gave me fabulous results but I was concerned about the long term effects of the alcohol in it. It had either SD or Ispropyl alcohol, I don't recall. Good luck!

For me, I'm looking for smoother, more detangled hair that holds moisture better and doesn't feel brittle and stiff.

What is the pH of your other products? I rarely ever get tangles, so I can't speak to that issue, perhaps if you start from scratch - clarify or chelate, protein if you need it, definitely dc with moisture under the dryer, and then pc or whatever acidifying product you use. After that, see how your hair feels. I received great results after using PC the first time and it gets better for me each time. I think most of us, esspecially thoe of us who relax, need some type of acidifying product, not necessarily the same one.

Maybe I should try Nexxus Ensure as well. I have really coarse, naturally light brown (I definitely believe lighter brown hair tends to be more dry and coarse by nature), thick 4a/b (mostly b) hair. Now that my hair is pretty much completely air-dried, parts of it feel very stiff :sad:.

Will a lower pH yield better results for some people?

So wait - ...after reading these two replies

Do you ladies think it would make sense for me to put the PC on my dry hair in the morning...let it dry....and then head to my salon for my Phyto texturizer touch up in the afternoon?

Or should I just get my touch up and then use it on my next wash day?

note: I am HORRIBLE at styling my own hair...air drying, blow drying, flat ironing...its a mess...so my hope would be to find something that I could do pre appts and let me stylist do the rest.

I originally was going to (on non touch up days) pre poo with coconut oil, wash with dandruff shampoo, DC, PC and then head off to my stylist for a simple wash and rollerset. (they insist on washing ur hair even if you come in pre washed)

But if its safe to do the PC pre relaxer I may start doing that asap! :yep:

What is the pH of your other products? I rarely ever get tangles, so I can't speak to that issue, perhaps if you start from scratch - clarify or chelate, protein if you need it, definitely dc with moisture under the dryer, and then pc or whatever acidifying product you use. After that, see how your hair feels. I received great results after using PC the first time and it gets better for me each time. I think most of us, esspecially thoe of us who relax, need some type of acidifying product, not necessarily the same one.

Honestly I'm not sure what the pH's are of my other products. Here's some of what I use:

Pre-poos: Dabur Vatika oil, Aubrey Organics HSR or GBP
When co-washing: Aussie Moist, or Organix conditioners.
Shampoos: Aveda DR, Paul Mitchell Moisturizing Shampoo, CON on occasion.
Conditioners: Aveda DR conditioner, ORS Replenishing Pak or Paul Mitchell Super-Charged Moisturizing Conditioner (love that stuff),

Aphogee 2 min treatment or Joico K-Pak when I need more protein.

Besides looking for citric acid and the like on the ingredient list, how do I know the pH of my products?

I have to use the deep conditioner first to open the cuticles and THEN i use Porosity Control to close the cuticles. And I sat under the dryer for 10 minutes with Porosity Control in my hair

I have to use the deep conditioner first to open the cuticles and THEN i use Porosity Control to close the cuticles.]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is exactly what I use it for and how I use it. I use it Weekly After Every Deep Conditioning Treatment.

I have not tried it as a Pre-Relaxer Treatment.

Back