Just took down locs and ended up with a dry brittle mess. Now what?

Thank you guys so much! I am going to DC daily and let you know how it turns out. I never had use for one of those heat caps (not to mention to many locs to fit into one) I never needed it, but I think I'm going to pick one up from Sally's today. When I did DC when I had locs I usually kept the product on overnight which made it difficult to sleep. (Not to mention very smelly pillowcases). This way I can DC in abt 30 minutes and continue with the other things I need to do to my hair. I'll do it at night when I get home from work.

Still resting my scalp, it feels so much better today. I get my hair evened out tomorrow morning, so I'll start DCing after that, probably that night depending on what I get done to my hair at the salon.

VKB thanks for the suggestions on yogurt and sour cream. I love home remedies for hair! Plus those are things that I buy pretty regularly anyway.

Last edited:
I'm glad I came across this thread. I am going to begin taking down my locs in about 2 weeks. All the advice that I read from this thread will help me out tremendously.

Thank you guys so much! I am going to DC daily and let you know how it turns out. I never had use for one of those heat caps (not to mention to many locs to fit into one) I never needed it, but I think I'm going to pick one up from Sally's today. When I did DC when I had locs I usually kept the product on overnight which made it difficult to sleep. (Not to mention very smelly pillowcases). This way I can DC in abt 30 minutes and continue with the other things I need to do to my hair. I'll do it at night when I get home from work.

Still resting my scalp, it feels so much better today. I get my hair evened out tomorrow morning, so I'll start DCing after that, probably that night depending on what I get done to my hair at the salon.

VKB thanks for the suggestions on yogurt and sour cream. I love home remedies for hair! Plus those are things that I buy pretty regularly anyway.
Cammiecam & NickiPovi keep us posted with your progress. There is a lot of great information on natural hair care in general in this thread! :up:

I took down my locs this weekend. Me and a friend began Friday night at 7:00 and stopped at 11:00. Then we got started again at 12:00 Saturday afternoon and finished up around 10:30 that evening. I was expecting to lose a ton of hair but I didn't. It was pretty matted but still after washing and combing I still didn't lose as much hair as expected. I feel good about having loose natural hair again. My piece of advice about anyone that is thinking about getting locs is to make sure it's something you really want to do because taking them down with cutting them is not fun at all.

Do you have any pet stores near you?? I'm serious, you need some cowboy magic detangler. It seriously detangles like nothing I've ever tried

41E8WsT0MPL._SS500_.jpg

This in addition to all the great advice you've recieved so far should make things a lot easier for you. Good Luck

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up on this stuff, I went to the website and it says the detangler is indeed safe for human hair. It just contains very highly concentrated silicones. If I ever want to take down my locs I'll keep this in mind.

Back