Just needing some advice on what i should do???ranting(long)

bluediamond0829

I've been going to this one girl to get my hair braided since last year...i put up with coming to her home(and usually i hate going to peoples homes to get my hair done) and i put up with all the times that she would put me off and the one time when she referred me to her best friend because she was sick and cldnt do my braids and i totally hated the way my microbraids(well there not exactly micros) came out looking(not to mention i had to be in a wedding and wanted to get an updo done and i came out looking like a chicken so i had to run to my other hairstylist and pay her to put it in a updo)..and i voiced my opinion about how her best friend had did my braids and she wldnt let it go even after a couple of months later of how i called her and complained about how her best friend had did my hair and i even apologized and told her that i may have overreacted but i know how my micros shouldve came out and how i wanted them and her best friend didnt do them like i wanted they looked more like individual braids...okay so i went to her back at the end of june..i absolutely loved my individual braids even though it took about 8 to 10 hours to do..but it was full and nice...so this time i went back to her this weekend...first of all she has moved to a salon...but she overlapped my appointment with some others...i dont know too many hairstylist that strictly do braids and natural styles that would overlap their appointments...so she had a guy before me that she was doing cornrows for..and my appointment was suppose to be at 1:30 but she didnt start on my braids until 3:30 and then she said that this one guy was suppose to be coming at 7:30 that wanted to be out of there at 10 but he didnt show up until 9:15 when i was getting finished...but my braids did not come out looking the same like before...they look so sparse that it looks like i have like 100 braids in my hair when last time i probably had about 200 to 250 braids in my hair and then i told her the length i wanted them and she made them uneven on one side so she had to reburn the ends...probably because she was so much in a hurry...and i even said something while she was doing my braids...because i mentioned the fact that she was half way up the back of my head in less than 2 hours..so im not a dummy ive been getting braids done since i was 15 and i know when someone is either doing them bigger...now i have paid this girl everytime $120 to $140 for braids..and not to mention that one time with her best friend...im really am getting fed up with her doing me this way...and i even have referred people to her....am i wrong to be wanting to find someone else to do my braids? should i be getting a half a** job when im paying her this much? i know that she is not the only person around that does braids...but its hard for me to build trust in other stylist so thats another reason why i havent went somewhere else..and plus some stylist charge more than what im paying her and plus im not able to get to a salon during salon hours...should i continue to just put up with her until i can get to my goal length with my hair and what im trying to do with my hair and then never go back to her...because i only go to other really every month and half or two months...

You could do two things Blue and please don't take this wrong because it isn't intended to be that way because I know and understand where you are coming from.

Either

1) Find you a hair stylist/braider you can trust, who can give you a beautiful style without compromising the health of your hair.

or

2) You can do what I and many of us do and that is learn to do them yourself. It can be time consuming but it is cheaper and you can trust yourself.

I feel you girl and I understand your frustrations but, with the way some people are nowadays with their obsession with output over quality workmanship, these are our only options. I am so sorry you had to expereince this and hope that you can find an acceptable solution soon.

Thanks so much for the advice czyfaith77....yeah i did purchase the braids by breslin dvd with the 4 in 1 styles and a manequin head to learn how to braid but i just havent had the time to actually practice and learn the techniques yet...but i know what you mean...thanks for the suggestions...

I agree with what the other poster said. I definitely would not go back to this lady after she messed your head up this time. And you said you're afraid you can't find another stylist that you can trust, but you need to add her to the bunch b/c she can't be trusted either. Next time she does your hair, you may have 250 braids or 100 braids.

And it's definitely not worth your hard-earned money for her to be doing a crappy job. Hairstylists kill me half-doing your hair, but would probably cuss you out if you asked could you pay half price.

okay girl i totally feel you on that they do a crappy behind job..and no that you are not going to say much about it and pay them for something they know they dont even deserve or only deserve half of the amount...and then they expect you to not say anything or know what they are doing...and when you complain about it or speak up about it then they have a fit and they know exactly what they are doing and get a straight up attitude about it...thats why i hate having to deal with hair stylist...because too many dont know what customer service is...thats another reason why i wld never be a hair stylist because you have some people you cant please...but i know im not one of those individuals...im very easy to please...

I wouldn't go back to her at all. She doesn't value your time, your money, nor your business. My husband's sister can braid and she is really good (however, since she is only 18 she braids at her house), however they live in Palm Bay Florida (close to Melbourne) and I don't know how far that is from where you are.

If you do go back to her I would tell her exactly how you feel and let her know that if she doesn't do a good job or if she rushes you would not come back again. Explain how you feel and how much you used to like her service and you want to support her business but it's getting very difficult because lately you have felt unsatisfied about her styling your hair. Otherwise, suck it up and pay the extra $$ to a stylist that will do it right (well, not $100 but if it's only $20 - $50). :)

HTH

Rai- thanks for letting me know about your husbands sister but Palm Cay is very far from Fort Lauderdale...but there is plenty of braiders down here in Fort Lauderdale and Miami ...i just have to cross that bridge of building the trust again with one of them...im going to try not to go back to her...ive had it up to the top of my head with her and dealing with her ways...i think i will be looking to find someone else now since she did this...my braids look okay but i just know from the first time she did my individual braids of what she is capable of doing...most likely i'll be removing them probably by the end of september or mid october...

I would never go back to her again. That would be my starting point. Learn how to do your own braids, wear a rollerset, get a weave, find a new hair stylist between now and Sept/Oct when you take the braids down. You have more options than you think. Trust me, if she continues to backslide on you, she will eventually jack you up and you will be like why, why did I keep going back to her?

Back