Just got cornrows and in agony

JereK

Hi everyone, well Im going to join the hide your hair til april fools challenge (even longer-for me I'll hide it until june), anywho, I began with cornrows, they are so tight I cant even turn my head, no offense but what the hell is wrong with them africans, it's as if they are taking out their frustrations out on your hair and scalp. As much as I told her it was too tight a hundred times she still continued, I could not even pick up my son when I came home. It's only because my hair is very short why I cannot bun, but dammit once my hair reaches a certain length I will bun, I cant do the braiding for long, breathing even hurts. I am so afraid that my hair will be damaged with all that tightness, or worse my hairline gone. They kept on assuring me that I wont lose my hair but each and everyone of the braiders were skin bald, maybe with 3 good strands of hair left, one even looked like that bald creature from Lord of the Rings who kept on saying "Your hair will GROOWWW"
Oh please!. Anyway I just wanted to vent -with every word I type my head hurts more and more.
Can cornrows damage the hair?, so I could know not to do it again, I dont want to hinder my progress.

Whew---I can feel ur pain--too tight braids r no joke! (especially when u spend good $$ to get them done!)

Cornrolls---if not done too tight and if taken care of---can be a great protective style. I have some in now...

As far as the ones u have now----u could try running water on them in the shower or spritzing them w/ water etc.... to try and get them a little loose.---but if they are in really really tight---u might develope bumps along ur hairline---i would take them out at the first sign of that and chalk up the $$ spent.

No, cornrows do not cause damage.
Excessively tight braids done by an irresponsible braider DO cause damage.
Take them out and find a better braider.

Two words for you: Traction Alopecia.

Yes, continually braiding or pulling on hair CAN cause you to lose it. I don't think a one time too-tight braid session can harm you.

However, if your told the braider it was too tight and she insisted on continuing that way, then it's poor customer service, pure and simple. It's also a good indicator that if you go back to her, they will be just as tight. That, I would not do.

lol i am an african and it is true....i had to stop getting the cornrows with extensions because it pulled out my hairline...so now I just cornrow my real hair with extensions attached in the back. The cornrow I did get the last time was tight though. Needless to say, I'm going to stay away from her cause I had a serious headache and to much tension happening on my scalp and bumps. It did feel like she was taking out her agression on my hair cause of the way she was combing one particular side of my head even though she didnt even get to that side of my head yet. Hopefully the next time I go, the lady I like will be there.
I wish I was a better braider so I can do my own braids. Until my hair grows so that I can put it in a bun, this will be my protective style til then.

If I were you would return to the braiding salon demanding the manager. Those ladies know exactly what they are doing when they braid your hair up that tight. Request your money back. Above all I would take that crap down. After countless visits to the dermatologist to treat alopecia:( , I have learned my lesson and do not wear anything tight in my hair. Braids are beautiful but it is not necessary for them to give you a face lift. Good luck.

slather it with oil and/or grease and those badboys will loosen. Don't ever pay for pain! You should always have your wishes respected.

TAKE
THEM
OUT!!

Traction alopecia is real and often permanent. You can't put a price tag on it.

I'm sorry you're going through this love.

p1

Visual Example: Susan L. Taylor, vice president of Essence magazine...:eek:

longlegz said:
Visual Example: Susan L. Taylor, vice president of Essence magazine...:eek:

Yeah girl. Beautiful sister. Her life is an inspiration but her hairline is a cautionary tale for sure. :ohwell:

p1

Girlll...I just took three asprin because I got mine done like 5 hours ago...I feel your pain...literally.

I'm a little confused by the post...how are too tight cornrows any different from too tight braids? I mean if cornrows are less damaging, I will be really excited, but I dont see how they could be?:perplexed :confused:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ETA: I rinsed, then washed my cornrows, then sprayed them with some s-curl and they feel a lot better. If you're still up I would reccommend it...and some asprin! If that doesn't work, I think you'll have to choke it up and take them out:(

Last edited:
YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY TAKE THEM OUT!!! THOSE BRAIDS ARE PULLING YOUR HAIR OUT!!

My sister got traction alopecia from having her hair pulled too tightly in high school and it didn't grow back until she was 26! That's TEN YEARS!! You should take those braids out and find a better braider or just wear your natural hair.

Chayil

Take them out if they don't loosen with water, they sound too tight. Take them out especially if your scalp is bleeding or you have any sores in the morning. It's not worth it. The last set of braids I ever had was some too tight cornrows 3 years ago. No more!

Girl, im gonna tell u straight,, GET THOSE BRAIDS OUT!!!,, there is NO WAY u should be in that much pain,, this is NOT worth losing your hair over,,esp when the very ppl braiding you were bald!! Please take them out, this bothers me just knowing this is happening to ppl!!:eek: In the meantine put your head under major steam to open up the follicles and loosen everything or just wet your head

Girl, take them braids out!!! A few months back, my aunt cornrolled my hair and them things were tight. It was like having a migraine. I ran them under water to maybe loosen them up and it didn't work so I took those suckers out. I had them in for a whole 3 hours. They will mess your hairline up.

Chica you better squirt some Sea Breeze all over that head til they loosen up. It really does stop the pain and soothes the scalp.:)

A word of advice cuz my sister is a heavy handed tight braider. When they start braiding around the edges always place your fingers over the beginning knot to hold your hair and scalp in place(you pull toward the braiders opposite direction). It prevents them from pulling your edges too tight and backwards.

Susan Taylor is scalped around the edges due to wearing tight azzed braids all the time/damn near all her adult life. LOL

Last edited:
If it was me, I wouldn't have sat there and let her finish the braids. Now that I'm caring for my hair, I wouldn't have sat there and then come home and complain. What's the point? Now you probably have to take it out or you will just have to deal with it. It's the same thing as going to a stylist and letting her take total control of your hair, and do whatever she wants; even though you feel in your heart it's not right. Next time if you feel she or someone else is braiding too tight, don't let them continue to braid it. Have them take it out and go somewhere else. I'm sure she will get the point.

TAKE THEM OUT.

You let bald chicks braid your hair and give you hair advice. Girl I am over 200 pounds let me tell you how to lose some weight. Doesn't sound right does it?

ThickHair said:
TAKE THEM OUT.

You let bald chicks braid your hair and give you hair advice. Girl I am over 200 pounds let me tell you how to lose some weight. Doesn't sound right does it?

:lol: Now you know you wrong:lol:
Now I gotta a question if you weigh 200 pounds what advice you giving on weightloss? What did you weight before is really the question?:lol:

JereK said:
Hi everyone, well Im going to join the hide your hair til april fools challenge (even longer-for me I'll hide it until june), anywho, I began with cornrows, they are so tight I cant even turn my head, no offense but what the hell is wrong with them africans, it's as if they are taking out their frustrations out on your hair and scalp. As much as I told her it was too tight a hundred times she still continued, I could not even pick up my son when I came home. It's only because my hair is very short why I cannot bun, but dammit once my hair reaches a certain length I will bun, I cant do the braiding for long, breathing even hurts. I am so afraid that my hair will be damaged with all that tightness, or worse my hairline gone. They kept on assuring me that I wont lose my hair but each and everyone of the braiders were skin bald, maybe with 3 good strands of hair left, one even looked like that bald creature from Lord of the Rings who kept on saying "Your hair will GROOWWW"
Oh please!. Anyway I just wanted to vent -with every word I type my head hurts more and more.
Can cornrows damage the hair?, so I could know not to do it again, I dont want to hinder my progress.

We are going to learn to stop paying people money to damage our hair. While your hair is short and if you must have braids, cornrows ask around and find someone gentle on your hair. If not this could leave you with thin edges.

LOL...:lachen:

Girl, I am trying to brace myself right now! I am putting in some braids this weekend. I will be relying on braids for my challenges.

Hope the pain eases up soon!

Take them out. I got some tight a$$ cornrows last month, so I definitely identify with your pain. Instead of two weeks, I couldn't take it anymore, after everyone commenting on how tight they looked.:eek: For 4 days I endured the pain, thinking it was going to get better and they would eventually loosen up after running them under the shower. They did not, I tell ya! I finally took them out and had little white bulbs (not alot but enough for my taste) at my temples. It took me about an hour to take them out, wash and condition, and let my natural hair breathe. :bouncegre

I lost $80 (way too much in the first place) They claimed because my hair was short, that they had to work harder. Never again. Now I am in medium sized individuals that I love. I had them done on Dec 18, and they still look fabulous, even though my hair stinks. I'm scared to wash them.:lol:

ThickHair said:
TAKE THEM OUT.

I was wondering the same thing. If they're all bald, telling you your hair won't fall out, She actually sat there and continued braiding? Doesn't make sense to me:confused:

Every single time I have ever gotten braids (individuals or kinky twists) I had take down and redo all the ones at the crown, hairline, and nape. I've probably been to 20 different braiders. I've never gone to the same one twice. They ALL did it.

I would take them down.

Last edited:
I agree with what everyone is saying, take them down, and never go back. My aunt had her hair braided by the africans and she didnt take them down even though they were tight. When she finally took them down, almost all her hair came out, and her hairline was gone.

Back