Just Frustrated

Opal1821

Okay ladies, How do I know if I have split ends or split middles? I keep looking at my ends, and don't see any splits! If I do, I immediately cut a bit above them, but right before I put my hair in braids today, I didn't see any. So, I don't understand why my braider went on and on about how bad my split ends are and that if I were to go to a salon, they'd make me cut my hair a lot. When I asked how she knows, she said it was because my hair frizzed at the ends. Could this frizz be because I only blow-dried my hair slightly on low, and I didn't slick the ends? I'm really trying to keep from doing a BC when I take these out, but she is the second out of 3 hair dressers I went to that told me this :ohwell:

You could have breakage at the ends. I have this, where the ends look really thin and see thru. I'm transitioning so its really obvious when I straighten my hair where the natural hair stops and the relaxed hair begins. Even though the ends aren't split, they aren't even. I'm slowly trimming my hair to get rid of the bad ends.

Opal1821 said:
Okay ladies, How do I know if I have split ends or split middles? I keep looking at my ends, and don't see any splits! If I do, I immediately cut a bit above them, but right before I put my hair in braids today, I didn't see any. So, I don't understand why my braider went on and on about how bad my split ends are and that if I were to go to a salon, they'd make me cut my hair a lot. When I asked how she knows, she said it was because my hair frizzed at the ends. Could this frizz be because I only blow-dried my hair slightly on low, and I didn't slick the ends? I'm really trying to keep from doing a BC when I take these out, but she is the second out of 3 hair dressers I went to that told me this :ohwell:

Yes. often my ends look fuzzy, etc. but when I add water, they are smooth. Or if I straighten hair, it looks even. With textured hair, you can't tell!

caligirl said:
You could have breakage at the ends. I have this, where the ends look really thin and see thru. I'm transitioning so its really obvious when I straighten my hair where the natural hair stops and the relaxed hair begins. Even though the ends aren't split, they aren't even. I'm slowly trimming my hair to get rid of the bad ends.

Okay that was what I was planning to do. No use in holding on to damaged ends too long. I'm just scared that of split ends unraveling up the hair. Could this happen with breakage?

Opal1821 said:

I bet your ends are just fine. My ends are in good shape but they look RAGGELY (yes, I said, "RAGG-ELY") as hell when I airdry them. Looks like I have split ends for days. But, it's the airdrying causing that. If you are blowdrying your hair partially AND on low, it's probably giving you the same result as airdrying. Don't pay no attention to those stylists.....just be like, "yeauh...okay" and keep it moving.

Back