Just Discovered a Flaw in my HG condish, AO HSR!

curlyninjagirl

Product build up! :cry4:

I looooooooove AO HSR! It's the only conditioner I use and I even make a moisturizing spritz with it, too! After DCing, I realized--while rollersetting--that my HG con leaves a thick residue. (Especially at my roots.) And the effect seems similar to as if I were to smear crisco on my hair.

Luckily, I had just read this article on thenaturalhaven blogspot: THE NATURAL HAVEN: Ingredients Dictionary: Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetostearyl Alcohol

It explains about the ingredient cetyl alcohol, which is found in all conditioners. It's what causes the build up.

Any AO HSR users experience this effect??

INGREDIENTS: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Shea Butter, Wheat Germ Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Chrysanthemum, Angelica, Forsythia and Magnolia; Honeysuckle Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey’s Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

I think another issue is that this conditioner is not diluted in water. Read the ingredient list. There is no water in it. Nothing but 100% thick and yummy product that gets deposited on your hair. You might have to look into using a lighter conditioner when you roller set or try diluting it beforehand to see if that makes any difference....

Last edited:
I did notice this and ended up having to do a clarifying wash bc it made my fine strands stick together. Not that its a bad conditioner but I was trying to DC and wash ONLY in sections (meaning not taking them out at any point during the wash cycle) and I ended up having to re-wash and condition 2 days later cause I had build-up.

I wonder if mixing the AOHSR with other water based conditioners decrease the amount of buildup?

Thanks for sharing the link!

I wonder if mixing the AOHSR with other water based conditioners decrease the amount of buildup?

Thanks for sharing the link!

i mix mine with aloe vera juice, honey and hairveda cocasta oil, :lick:
i haven't experience any build up, i only use it to DC once a week and i clarify once a month.
but i just tried the jessicurl too shea and loveeeeeeeeeeeed it, and because i can buy a gallon of it, i am really considering switching:grin:
ingredients are yummy as well and it doubles as DC and leavin as well (saving!!!)

Product Description

Too Shea is intended to be a daily rinse-out conditioner for dry, coarse hair, though I've heard from some finer haired curlies that it works wonders for them too. All right! It is pretty moisturizing, and may be too heavy for curls that weigh down easily. Since some people WANT their hair weighed down, however, it can serve that purpose as well. If your hair is at all damaged, this is a great conditioner for you. Too Shea! is also popular as both a leave-in conditioner AND as a deep treatment. So you can pretty much use it however you like. I’ve even used it as hand lotion!

Ingredients:
Water infused with Lemongrass, Nettle, Burdock, Kelp, Marshmallow Root,Horsetail, Basil, Bay Leaf, Oregano, Rosemary, Peppermint, Sage, and Thyme; Aloe Vera Juice, Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, Lecithin, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

hope this help

Back