Just a Poll, no serious discussion needed lol--Y are you natural or relaxed?

Why natural, Why relaxed

• Relaxed--Style/Look/Trend

Votes: 35 11.9%
  • Relaxed--Natural wasnt working

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Relaxed--Save Time/Easier

Votes: 50 17.0%
  • Relaxed--Just been this way most of life

Votes: 43 14.6%
  • Natural--Style/Look/Trend

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Natural--Health/Personal beliefs-decisions

Votes: 86 29.3%
  • Natural--Save time/Money

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Natural--Just been this way most of life

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 28 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm allergic to something in the relaxer products....my scalp would scape up really bad . Went natural for two years...decided to relax again and all my hair fell out literally.

finally went to a dermatologist for a diagnosis.

been natural again for over two years .....never lookin back

transitioning to natural because my hair was no longer healthy while relaxed and i was loosing way to much hair. I also use way to much heat when relaxed trying to get ALL the frizz out. Transitioning has made me accept the frizz.

I'm transitioning back to natural because my scalp simply cannot handle relaxers anymore -- even the mild ones (I'm always left with scabs). Also, my relaxed hair is thin and see-through; my natural hair at least gives the illusion of thickness.

Relaxed- been this way all my life. Didn't even know relaxers where permanent until shortly before I joined this board :look:

currently transitioning to natural because I don't see the point in relaxing. All I do with my relaxed hair now is put it in a bun or ponytail. Why not do that as a natural and not have to put chemicals in in my hair. I may be able to add another lazy style as a natural. wash n gos.

I guess straight hair for me is boring. I've only been relaxing all this time because I didn't know any better.:ohwell:

I voted Nature-Save time and money. I wasn't keeping up with my touch ups. So I just transitioned without a BC for the second (or possibly 3rd time in my life.) during 1993. So far soo good!:grin:

Relaxed. Easier for me.I love the way I look with straight hair, and I work out, swim, work full time, two kids, a husband, and a dog (hee-hee) I wouldn't have time to press it .

I've been relaxed, natural, relaxed again and am now transitioning. I miss the versatility of hair styles and the ease. By ease I mean I don't have to learn any special skills to maintain... Natural had it's bad days too, but I don't have to worry about learning to do my touch-ups or paying someone $75 to do it for me (that's what it costs me), trying to mesh my schedule with my hairdresser's openings, etc. It's purely a lifestyle preference thing for me, no deep spiritual, health-concious reasons.

I'm transitioning to natural because I've never experienced my natural hair. I've been relaxed since I was 12 and I never ever dealt with my natural hair. I want the versatility that naturals have which is the option to wear your natural curls and coils or straight. Moreover, I love big curly, natural hair and that's what I want. If I want to wear my hair straight I have the option of rocking a wig, weave or just straighten.

My sister is natural and has been for the last 7 years and I love:love: her hair. She lets me do her hair sometimes and I just love it. It is not hard to manage at all and it is so soft. I got her into the habit of deep conditioning at least once every 2 weeks, using a leave-in and moisturizing often. I've even given her some of my products that work wonderfully on my hair and also in her hair. Doing my sister's hair and looking at all the styles she does to her hair has definitely inspired my decision to become natural. It has also shown that being natural doesn't have to be a challenge (which I used to believe).

Lastly, I also feel like my hair could be so much healthier without the chemicals.

:::coughtexturizedcoughcough:::

It was an accident. :look: I hate relaxers (for me) but I thought I hated my natural hair after a bad straightening job and wound up thinking relaxing was a good idea. It was a last resort (unfortunately) Put that crap on my head and about 30 seconds later realized I was making a mistake. And viola... 10 months down the drain:lachen:

Hair looks and feels the same. Same texture and all. I could have lied and told folks on here I'd never done it (nobody would know the difference from pictures) but whatev. I forgot how seriously resistant my hair is :nono: It was easy to detangle at first but as far as blowdying and everything else its still the same gigantic mess. I have actually had better results from a coconut/lime treatment :giggle:

I'll get it back though lol. Still transitioning.. just means I have to BC the relaxed hair in November 08 and the texlaxed hair May 09. :perplexed Let this be a lesson!:nono:

Well, I always admired people that wore their hair natural. I love all of the different styles, too. So I decided to go natural myself. No regrets.

I voted that natural just wasn't working for me. I hate having my natural hair combed, period. I used to be scared to death to have my natural hair combed and now I can just sweep my fingers/a comb through it and go. I'd pay almost any reasonable amount to get my hair relaxed, in fact, I have paid up to $130.00 for a relaxer. That alone should tell you how strongly I feel about having my relaxer. I love having my hair relaxed. Even this relaxer stretch is driving me up the wall and that's why I wear my wigs and falls to prevent me from combing it. I save that for when I DC.

Last edited:
I am a natural wannabe.:rolleyes: I am not good at styling my hair natural and I get disgusted. I'm relaxed and am now transitioning to texlaxed.If I can master my natural texture, I'm hoping to be natural again some time next year.

I am a natural wannabe.:rolleyes: I am not good at styling my hair natural and I get disgusted. I'm relaxed and am now transitioning to texlaxed.If I can master my natural texture, I'm hoping to be natural again some time next year.

How do you transition to texlaxed? Did you stretch a long time and then relax or did you just start texlaxing at your next touchoup?

I just really wanted to know for real why everyone was either relaxed or natural...we dont have to discuss why or talk about which one is better

Meant to put under natural that chemicals werent working--dangit. Ohwell

Well, I voted natural-health, personal decisions, but health wasn't really a concern because I don't think relaxers made me or my hair unhealthy.

It was more about feeling a pull towards my natural texture. The longer I stretched, the more I wanted to see. It's not a statement or a style, it's just me, if that makes sense. I wanted to know and experience my real hair.:yep:

Not only that, but I'd pretty much done all I could do with straight hair. I'd had short relaxed hair, medium length relaxed hair, and long relaxed hair. It was time to move on.:grin:

I'm transitioning back to natural (I'm 1 year post) because a) I wanted to experience my natural hair the right way (I've been natural before, but I always pressed it straight); and b) the older I get, the more my scalp cannot handle chemicals. I just had to accept that as fact. So natural, here I come ...

I voted relaxed saves time and easier. I had seriously considered going natural early on in my journey because I thought that relaxed hair was harder to grow. However, after a 8 month stretch, I caved in and went back to relaxing. My main reasons for not sticking to my natural journey was because my hair would knot and tangle a lot which resulted in me loosind A LOT of hair. :wallbash:

once when i came in for a touch up, my stylist told me that my natural texture was such that i did not "need" a relaxer & that flat ironing would get it straight. that was the last time i relaxed (save for a minor relapse last summer w/ a texturizer :wallbash:). i'm transitioning again & i will not do chemicals again including color.

Versatility and for the purpose of imitating styles/cuts I see and like in mags.
I don't think I ever received so many hair compliments from random strangers than when my hair was natural and in tight twists or puffs. I'd twist them very tightly so they curled onto themselves. Every one said I looked like some exotic model. I think relaxed hair makes me look a bit more ordinary and I really miss my kinks and my trademark afro puff :sad::sad:
The only thing stopping me from going natural is that I think I really like the styling options with relaxed hair. Rocking a fantastic cut with natural hair isn't the same.

My dream would be to switch back and fourth between natural and straight (w/o frizz).

When my mom passed away last January, I wanted to honor her memory by b/c'ing. But I had already did a touch-up, so in April I started wearing braids and continued until January of this year. I'm wearing wigs now, but by may I will cut off the relaxed hair and start anew with life and honoring my mother.

How do you transition to texlaxed? Did you stretch a long time and then relax or did you just start texlaxing at your next touchoup?

I was planning on transitioning to natural, BC and then texlax that way I won't overlap chemicals. Since learning how to flat twist, I am considering going natural again.:rolleyes: I am giving myself a year to decide.

Dang I didn't realize that relaxed were a minority on this site!! The main reason why U'm relaxed is because I've been this way since I was 13!! Plus, I would go natural but you never know how my head looks under this hair. I might have lumps and a funny shaped head so I can't do the whole BC think :lachen: It's easy for me to style my hair since it's relaxed and I love the sexy look of relaxed. I can make it look curly and coiled with rollers so I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I believe relaxed hair can be just as healthy as au naturale sooooo I rather work with what I got than start all over!

Before going natural I had been relaxed for a long time and didn't even know I had the option to stop relaxing. I like the versatility of my natural hair and the ease of wash and goes. Even wearing it straight has become easier now that I've come up with a good method to keep it from frizzing.

i am relaxed because i've been that way all of my life. actually i am 21 years old and still really dont know my true texture:ohwell:. but i am transitioning and i went to a dominican salon for the first time on saturday and saw how much natural hair i have. i have at least six inches and i'm so happy i want to do away with the relaxers.
i like relaxers because of versatility and it's so sleek and sexy:grin: but i hate them because you have to know how long you can stretch and your hair breaks and if you are like me your hair gets thin so this is why i want natural hair.

I am relaxed and I know nothing else but that, having been relaxed since age 12. I would really like to deal with my own natural hair but I'm afraid of it breaking or having to cut it off. My natural hair, it seems from the new growth, has a lot of deep wave and tiny tight curls to it. I like curly hair better than straight but I think it seems you can do more styles with straight hair.

Back