just a little something about hair and protein

580girl

Hi, I am currently in nursing school, and rght now I am studying the Integumentary sytem which is basically, Skin, Hair and Nails.

This is just something I wanted to share out of my book Med Terminology about hair, some of you prob already know this so feel free to help me out.

The Hair

Hair fibers are rod-like structures composed of tightly fused, dead protein cells filled with hard keratin, which is a fibrous, water repellent protein. The darkness and color of the hair is determined by the amount and type of melanin produced by the melanocytes that surround the core of the hair shaft.

Hair follicles are the the sacs that hold the root of the hair fibers. The shape of the follicle determines whether the hair is straight or curly.

Although hair is dead tissue, it appears to grow because the cells at the base of the follicle divide rapidly and push the old cells upward.

The body cannot store protein so it has to release it, which is released through the hair which is composed of dead protein and causes the hair to grow.

So that would make me think that protein is really an important factor, because the more protein that you put into your system, the body will have to release it.
I don't know maybe some of you can help me out with this, but I would think some of this would be true for hair growth.

Yep, protein is a very important factor in the production of healthy and strong hair, skin, and nails :yep:. Ever since I started drinking my protein shakes religiously I've noticed my nails have gotten much stronger, my skin is clearer and looks brighter, and my hair seems to be growing at a good rate.

Yep, protein is a very important factor in the production of healthy and strong hair, skin, and nails :yep:. Ever since I started drinking my protein shakes religiously I've noticed my nails have gotten much stronger, my skin is clearer and looks brighter, and my hair seems to be growing at a good rate.

Thanks for that response, you know I had been thinking about trying a protein shake, but for other reasons, then I didn't really know how important protein for the hair was.

What protein shake are you on? Where did you get yours?

I really wanted to start drinking protein shakes daily but I just dont like them. I have lots of it too.

OP, yes I think protein is really important.

Yeah, you need that protein in the body. My nails are harder, and hair has a new brilliance! I love it... I take Twinlab Amino Fuel 2000, body mass, 4 tabs per day.

That makes lots of sense! A lot of ladies drink protein shakes for growth, but I never knew WHY protein makes hair grow. I have a super huge tub of protein shake, guess I should get on it huh? :lol:

It does make a lot of sense. I notice that my hair grows pretty well when I eat a high protein diet and protein shakes. Good thread!

For those who are drinking protein shakes, are you drinking them in addition to your regular meals(like as a snack) or using them as meal replacements?

I drink protein shakes as a meal replacement. Anything that has calories needs to be factored when it comes to food intake. I used to drink protein shakes religiously a few years ago, before LHCF and my hair was at its most optimum state.

(going back to the basics)

Yep, this brought me back to my anatomy and physiology(and all that jazz) days! When I'm on a high protein diet for work outs I have always noticed a spurt in hair growth. I just need to work out hard like I used to and get rid of some fat! The integumentary system is a system and that's why I've always preached, what's good for the hair is good for the skin and nails. Thanks for sharing!

ETA~ I need to be drinking protein shakes like right now!

Yeah, you need that protein in the body. My nails are harder, and hair has a new brilliance! I love it... I take Twinlab Amino Fuel 2000, body mass, 4 tabs per day.

What exactly do those pills do? Are they protein pills? I tried to research it and all it said was for bodybuilding. Not that it would hurt to shape up but I want it for the hair. Also, does it have biotin in it; I can't do biotin it breaks me out. Are they other vitamins like this I can take also? I do have some protein shake stuff-just a little-I guess I need to use it up....
I like Detour protein bars but they are a little expensive.

It does make a lot of sense. I notice that my hair grows pretty well when I eat a high protein diet and protein shakes. Good thread!

This is true for me as well. My hair was in its BEST condition when I was eating a high protein diet and it grew fast. I had little to no breakage.
* off to have a protein shake* lol

Absolutely, protein is an essential needed element for your entire body. I love LIVING HARVEST HEMP PROTEIN POWDER. I have not had a protein shake in ages. I sprinkle it on salads once in a while; can be annoying at times when I crunch a grain but it is not nasty tasting at all. I kind of get a kick out of drinking "Legal Hemp:jail:":2cool:.

Hi, I am currently in nursing school, and rght now I am studying the Integumentary sytem which is basically, Skin, Hair and Nails.

This is just something I wanted to share out of my book Med Terminology about hair, some of you prob already know this so feel free to help me out.

The Hair

Hair fibers are rod-like structures composed of tightly fused, dead protein cells filled with hard keratin, which is a fibrous, water repellent protein. The darkness and color of the hair is determined by the amount and type of melanin produced by the melanocytes that surround the core of the hair shaft.

Hair follicles are the the sacs that hold the root of the hair fibers. The shape of the follicle determines whether the hair is straight or curly.

Although hair is dead tissue, it appears to grow because the cells at the base of the follicle divide rapidly and push the old cells upward.

The body cannot store protein so it has to release it, which is released through the hair which is composed of dead protein and causes the hair to grow.

So that would make me think that protein is really an important factor, because the more protein that you put into your system, the body will have to release it.
I don't know maybe some of you can help me out with this, but I would think some of this would be true for hair growth.

Great info 580girl -

Is there a particular type of protein or just any kind i.e. Soy Protein, Whey Protein, etc.?

Thanks Again!

Great info 580girl -

Is there a particular type of protein or just any kind i.e. Soy Protein, Whey Protein, etc.?

Thanks Again!

I think it would depend on what you like, because their are alot of foods that have a lot of protein in them to like red meat, eggs etc. So I think either one would be just fine. You could prob get tablets to if you don't want to do the shake.:yep:

Thanks for your responses, glad I could help. I think we could all benefit from some kind of protein. I think I will to GNC and find me a shake.

I started eating two eggs a day c/o the egg thread, mine are cooked of course, but I'm sure that and other stuff is leading to an increase in growth. So I agree with the whole protein thing.

However, everything in moderation because too much protein also places a strain on the kidneys

That's one of the issues with the ATKIN'S diet.

I tend to like to eat things with a lot of protein: eggs, peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, almonds, yogurt, cottage cheese so I'm good to go.

I just wanted to add this...

The Good Protein Chart

Fish & Seafood

Seafood is one of the best sources of protein because it's usually low in fat. Fish such as salmon is a little higher in fat but it is the heart-healthy kind: omega-3 fatty acids.
White-Meat Poultry

Stick to the white meat of poultry for excellent, lean protein. Dark meat is higher in fat. The skin is loaded with saturated fat, so remove skin before cooking.
Milk, Cheese Yogurt

Not only are dairy foods excellent sources of protein but they also contain valuable calcium. Choose skim or low fat dairy to keep bones and teeth strong, prevent osteoporosis and enhance weight loss.
Eggs

Eggs are one of the least expensive forms of protein. The American Heart Association says normal healthy adults can safely enjoy an egg a day.
Beans

One-half cup of beans contains as much protein as 3 ounces of broiled steak. Plus, these nutritious nuggets are loaded with fiber to keep you feeling full for hours.
Pork Tenderloin

This great and versatile white meat is 31% leaner than 20 years ago.
Soy

Twenty five grams of soy protein daily can help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Combine soy protein foods like tofu with a healthy low fat diet.
Lean Beef

Lean beef has only one more gram of saturated fat than a skinless chicken breast. Lean beef is also an excellent source of zinc, iron and vitamin B12.
Protein on the Go

Grab a meal replacement drink, cereal bar or energy bar. Check the label to be sure the product contains at least 6 grams of protein, and is low in sugar and fat.

have you tried mixing a shake in a blender with fruit? Tastes really good..

no i havent tried that. What type of fruit should I use? so I add milk or just water with it? I would like to try it with fruit because I have so much of it, it would be a shame for it to waste like that. Plus I want the extra hair growth:grin:

no i havent tried that. What type of fruit should I use? so I add milk or just water with it? I would like to try it with fruit because I have so much of it, it would be a shame for it to waste like that. Plus I want the extra hair growth:grin:
i know the question wasnt directed to me...but i make my smothies by buying those fruits in a bottle that they sell @ Giant for $1 each (i normally buy strawberries/ peaches), then blend it with the coressponding yougurt flavor...for example, i would put strawberries+ strwberry yogurt+ protein shake+ water/milk + ice = yummy smoothie!

Great info. Here's a list of high protein foods.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

Shortcut: An ounce of meat or fish has approximately 7 grams of protein.
Beef
Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce
Chicken
Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
Drumstick – 11 grams
Wing – 6 grams
Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams
Fish
Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein
Pork
Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams
Eggs and Dairy
Egg, large - 6 grams protein
Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
Beans (including soy)
Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
Nuts and Seeds
Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 19 grams
Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

That makes lots of sense! A lot of ladies drink protein shakes for growth, but I never knew WHY protein makes hair grow.

ITA! It is nice to know the science behind protien and hair growth! Thanks OP!

UPDATE: When I read Cathy Howse's book, Ultra Black Hair Growth II, she completely discounts the effects of adding protein to your diet in relation to hair growth. She says something to the effect of, "Protein may give you a larger waist line, but does little for hair growth... I am paraphrasing, of course.

But the data in your text book completely contradicts Ms. Howse's assertions in her book.

Last edited:
OP, great thread! I love beans and eat them several times a week. But, I have protein shakes and flax seed powder in my pantry that I never touch. As Loca said, I'm not a fan of the protein shakes. Reading this article gives me the motivation to start blending it with fruit especially now that I plan to start up on the work outs again.

Back