Joico or Dominican products

leona2025

So I'm getting a little frustrated. I been around these boards for 3 years and I still don't have staple products. Everytime I wash and condition my hair I use something different. I mix and mix to use up everything and my stash is just about done. My hair is growing and flourishing, but I'm tired of having to put 100 leave ins in to get soft hair.

I don't have any products that I want to buy again beyond my PC Conditioner and Aphogee 2 minute and Duo Tex. Those are my only staples. I don't have anything I can put on my hair that moisturizes and provide slip. My hair is dry when the conditioner washes out. I'm tired of trying stuff. I did try several products from the Joico line, but I used them only once so my question is how many times do you have to use them to get the spectacular results everyone raves about.

I wanna try some dominican products, but I'm not sure if I wanna do a whole dominican reggie for a while or a Joico one. How long do you use products to determine whether they work for you or not?

Well, if I am happy with the results from the first use, then I will use again until I complete the sample. I highly believe in purchasing sample sizes of items FIRST before buying a larger quanity if you can.

For items that just don't work alone, I try mixing other items in to make it useful. If neither thing works, then I junk the product or pass it on to a friend. One woman's junk hair product is another woman's treasured hair product. :lol:

What makes it hard for you to find the right products?

Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm is wonderful! It took me a couple of uses to notice a significant difference. I leave in I liked when I was relaxed was Giovanni Direct and Sally GVP Paul Mitchell The Conditioner.

leona2025

Did you try clarifying before using this, that and the other. This is to ensure you start from a clean slate to ensure the product does/doesn't work.

Is your protein/moisture balanced?

A mistake I use to make is overhaul my regi week after week. Overhauling the regi did not give me the ability me to pinpoint what I was doing wrong and/or where I was going wrong. Now, I incorporate one new thing at a time to determine if it's good for me. Trying to many things at one time just leads you to believe nothing works when in essence something might works but it's hard to tell what is/isn't working because of consistenly overhauling your regi.

Well, if I am happy with the results from the first use, then I will use again until I complete the sample. I highly believe in purchasing sample sizes of items FIRST before buying a larger quanity if you can.

For items that just don't work alone, I try mixing other items in to make it useful. If neither thing works, then I junk the product or pass it on to a friend. One woman's junk hair product is another woman's treasured hair product. :lol:

I don't know. Maybe I expect too much from my products. All I really want is soft detangled hair with slip after the conditioner is washed out. I want it to airdry soft too. That's it. I'm not looking for a miracle. I wish I could find one line with everything I need.

Hehehe want much? Just joking.

Those sound like basic goals. But if you want one complete line, I can't think of any one line that most people here on LHCF use from start to finish. If you look at people's reggies, they generally are cobbled together with the condish/DC being the main star along with their leave-ins.

Have you read the product descriptions for the different lines within Joico? I posted it over in the other Joico thread. Look and see if any line sounds close to what you want your hair to end up like (i.e. strong and silky or if your hair is damaged/colored/relaxed).

I'm curious, what do you have in your current stash? What do you like or dislike about what you have?

divachyk I do clarify, but not often. I use Tresemme Clarifying Shampoo. My main shampoo right now is ORS aloe creamy shampoo. I love it and it leaves my hair soft and detangled, but if I use it too many times it will dry out my scalp. I also like PC Control Shampoo. In my history of shampoos these are the only two I have every loved. My hair doesn't like shampoo too much and they all seem the same. I have several protein conditioners which I love, but no moisturizing ones every impress me. I always use PC control conditioner also.

Typically I don't overhaul weekly. What I do it I wash and use my protein conditioner and then I try a moisturizing one. I have all kinds of sample packets from Sallys and I have bought the sample ones from ulta. My hair just feels rough. Lately I've been using Redken Allsoft Shampoo, Conditioner, and deep treatment, but it's nothing to write home about.

mzteaze Ok Here is what I have right now. I don't have a lot cause I got my stash down.
Nexxus Humectress
Mane and Tail Conditioner
Color Me Sexy Deep Conditioner
ALL WAYS Natural Conditioner Moisturizing

They were never spectacular, but they were alright. They just don't work for me anymore at all. It's like I never put conditioner on. I've also tried almost every packet of moisturizing conditioner in Sally's. They feel great and silky when I have them on, but when I rinse them off that's it. I use my leave ins to achieve soft hair.

I'm not familiar with any of your conditioners at all. But if you aren't seeing a difference in terms of soft hair...

Do you have course or fine hair?
Are you relaxed or natural?
Does your hair dry quickly? or extra slowly?
Is your hair strong? breaking? damaged? colored?
I notice that you are Houston - how does your hair react to humidity?

Also, do you condish with heat (under a hooded dryer)? with a plastic cap?

Sorry for the thousand questions - it just seems like a basic place to start to help narrow down the products and/or technique that will work for you.

mzteaze

Do you have course or fine hair? I have coarse hair
Are you relaxed or natural? I'm relaxed
Does your hair dry quickly? or extra slowly?My eyes dry fast, but it takes 2 to 3 hours to airdry completely.
Is your hair strong? breaking? damaged? colored? My hair was damaged in the front, but in general it's pretty strong although I'm having some shedding.
I notice that you are Houston - how does your hair react to humidity? I don't know lol.

Also, do you condish with heat (under a hooded dryer)? with a plastic cap? I usually just leave the conditioner on for a few hours while I do chores. I do use heat and a cap every now and then.

Sorry for the thousand questions - it just seems like a basic place to start to help narrow down the products and/or technique that will work for you.[/QUOTE]
I don't mind the questions lol

I wouldn't recommend an all dominican regime. I only use deep conditioners. Their shampoos are very drying and their products have lots of "bad" ingredients (mineral oil, sulfates, cones)

My favorite dominican conditioner is baba de caracol deep treatment. It has protein but it leaves my hair so silky, smooth and moisturized
The good thing about dominican products is that they are cheap so you can experiment with them. When I buy salon brands I feel like I have to commit. You often have to use things several times to get the full effect so sample sizes aren't always a good idea

@divachyk I do clarify, but not often. I use Tresemme Clarifying Shampoo. My main shampoo right now is ORS aloe creamy shampoo. I love it and it leaves my hair soft and detangled, but if I use it too many times it will dry out my scalp. I also like PC Control Shampoo. In my history of shampoos these are the only two I have every loved. My hair doesn't like shampoo too much and they all seem the same. I have several protein conditioners which I love, but no moisturizing ones every impress me. I always use PC control conditioner also.

Typically I don't overhaul weekly. What I do it I wash and use my protein conditioner and then I try a moisturizing one. I have all kinds of sample packets from Sallys and I have bought the sample ones from ulta. My hair just feels rough. Lately I've been using Redken Allsoft Shampoo, Conditioner, and deep treatment, but it's nothing to write home about.
I like ORS Creamy Aloe and never had an issue with drying. It's marketed a product that neutralizes, chelates and clarifies so maybe it's too harsh for your hair. I like Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair. I have some WEN and Hair One poo but it has -cones and I'm not sure how I feel about that just yet. What about something simple like V05 shampoo? Could it be that you're using protein too frequently? I learned I can't use protein weekly.

[USER]divachyk [/USER] I actually don't have a problem with using protein. My hair loves it and I use it once a week. When I got the dried scalp it was because I loved the shampoo so much that I was using it 3 times a week or so:lachen:.

Joico is somewhat pricey for me to purchase and not like it. I would feel like I HAD to use it all. I wonder if sample sizes of the products I want to try can be found on ebay. In general if I use a conditioner and my hair feels rough afterwards I don't give it a second chance.:ohwell:

I don't know. Maybe I expect too much from my products. All I really want is soft detangled hair with slip after the conditioner is washed out. I want it to airdry soft too. That's it. I'm not looking for a miracle. I wish I could find one line with everything I need.

Hey Hun! Ok, you and I seem to have the same hair type or very similar. I love, love, love Joico, but the only line that gives me great results is the K-Pac line. I've tried the moisture recovery, even the silk results lines and was not impressed. The K-pac line did wonders for my hair, please visit my picture trail for pictures.

Ok, in reference to the bolded, have you tried anything from shescentit.com. If you have not, I highly recommend the fortifying mask. If all you want is soft, detangled hair, then that is exactly what you will get. I leave it on for no less than 30 mins and my hair literally melts in my hands! :lick: It is by far the best conditioner I have ever used, hands down. It is now my one and only conditioner and that's saying a lot for me because it beat out my beloved K-Pac.

You can get samples from Ulta.

I am thinking maybe you need to up your moisture from your description. The moisture retention line might be a good fit.

Also, try searching for "travel size" containers on Amazon and other websites.

You can get samples from Ulta.

I am thinking maybe you need to up your moisture from your description. The moisture retention line might be a good fit.

Also, try searching for "travel size" containers on Amazon and other websites.

Excellent idea!

Back