Joico at Walmart! What's Your Take on This Line?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I was in Walmart yesterday and was surprised that they now sell Joico products! I never tried any of that line but I've heard talk about it on here. So the PJ in me picked up the bottle of K-pak moisture recovery conditioner and read the ingredients. It had stuff like Argnine or Argon (sp), whatever the name of that oil is that's supposedly really good, and all kinds of other oils and cones of course. ETA: It also listed Chlorella as an ingredient. So I thought mmmmmm, these ingredients look yummy :lick:.

Silly me wasn't thinking and tried to be sneaky and squirted a bit on my finger to feel the consistency before deciding whether or not I wanted to shell out the $16.95 for the bottle. Then I said hmmm, let me see how it feels in my hair. So I rubbed it on a small lock of hair in the back and said mmmm. Then I read the bottle and realized it wasn't a leave-in !!! :bye: I almost panicked because I'm thinking it's a reconstructor and just said I'll just rinse it out when I get home. Of course I forgot about it completely until just now but I did moisturize last night as normal so hopefully I'm okay.

I never did buy the conditioner because I wanted to read up on it in here first. It seems to be a moisutirizing reconstructor??? Not sure. I'm looking for a moisturizing leave-in and not necessarily a conditioner though.

But oh well, just wanted to let you ladies know it's at Walmart (didn't see the leave-in though).

Last edited:
I would not buy salon hair products from Wal-Mart personally.

On the bottle of these kinds of products they always state something to the effect of, "We can only guarantee product authenticity if bought at a salon, or a salon product licensed dealer (like Trade Secret or JC Penny salons)."

I fear of products being watered down or ingredients being changed to accommodate for mass retailers’ production and profit margins (especially Wal-Mart).

Joico, however is a wonderful brand and I would recommend it, especially the reconstrutor.

Last edited:
I really don't think there is anything wrong with those products being sold in Walmart. Why would they water it down, heck, it's only a dollar or two cheaper than purchasing it the other places. I think they companies are just trying to justify their prices and control who sells it.

Walmarts often have a salon though. I saw them with nioxin products and others there. Once Walmarts start having salons, couldn't they sell those products?

Just wondering and perhaps offering an explanation?

Your right Meka, A lot of the Walmart's have a Salon now, I don't believe its legal to open up a product and alter whats in the already packaged bottle, But It is a possibility of it being "Old", Hence the chemical break down would change and may not be as effective. But then again it can also be old from a Salon, who is to know how long these products have been sitting "Anywhere". In My opinion, Go for It!

Last edited:
I buy non-salon products from Wal-Mart that work great in my hair so I don't see how buying salon brands would be any different. Now had you said you found them at a discount/drugstore website, then that might be cause for concern because there really is no way to tell how authentic they are when buying from an online seller. Another vote for go ahead and buy them from Wally World!

should be fine, just make sure you check the expiration dates.

I found an expired Chi Keratin Mist at Marshalls recently. I took it to the register and told them to check the products often.

I buy them at the walmart salons. Whenever I go there, I check to see if they are on sale.

@Bachelorette: I bought a bad bottle of Leisure Curl activator from a BSS ONE time and ever since then I have been smelling my products before I buy them.

I hate Wally World, but if they have good prices on Joico, I might get over it. :look:

They sell Joico at Walgreens too; just saw some yesterday, but I'm holding out until next year.

These are all good points and I wonder if you could compare the ingredients on a bottle from Walmart or wherever to one purchased in a salon. I'm pretty sure they couldn't advertise ingredients that weren't there. I'm seeing more and more formerly "salon-only" products popping up too and wonder how could this be.

And I never even thought about checking the expiration of my products I get from Marshalls and I get them all the time. Now I'll be going crazy looking at that too now LOL.

It's bad enough I always reach to the back of the shelf to check the copyright date on my hair dye at the BSS. I know it's just a copyright date but if there's one with 2003 on it and one with 2007 I'm definitely getting the 2007 one. The BSS store clerk tried to say I was crazy but I don't care.

@Hairsnob: Girl, everyone calls me crazy for sniffing and reading products lol but when they need hair advice I'm the one they turn to so I must be doing something right with mine. If you'd like to compare ingredients, print out or write down the ingredients from the salon's website (or a reputable website if the official one doesn't list them) and take that with you when you go hair shopping.

@Hairsnob: Girl, everyone calls me crazy for sniffing and reading products lol but when they need hair advice I'm the one they turn to so I must be doing something right with mine. If you'd like to compare ingredients, print out or write down the ingredients from the salon's website (or a reputable website if the official one doesn't list them) and take that with you when you go hair shopping.

Good idea!! Thanks!

I bought some moisture recovery balm from walmart and I will admit the first 3 uses I was kind of blah about the product and i assumed it may have had something to do with walmart because me experience with joico is always great. Anyway I picked the balm up again and this time using a more generous with a few mists of evoo. My strands were greatful. Moral of the story, walmart joico is a-ok with mswinky.

Last edited:
Joico is sold at the Salon inside wal-mart so doesn't that count for salon product.

I would not buy salon hair products from Wal-Mart personally.

On the bottle of these kinds of products they always state something to the effect of, "We can only guarantee product authenticity if bought at a salon, or a salon product licensed dealer (like Trade Secret or JC Penny salons)."

I fear of products being watered down or ingredients being changed to accommodate for mass retailers’ production and profit margins (especially Wal-Mart).

Joico, however is a wonderful brand and I would recommend it, especially the reconstrutor.

When I first started using Joico I was only using the reconstructor and it was so so. Now I use the entire line, poo, reconstructor, condition. It works so much better now that I use the entire line. I always purchase the combo packs from Penny's or Trade Secret. The combo packs are very easy to find around the holidays. It's just too darn expensive to buy separate.

I know all Walmarts with a salon sale professional hair products, I have never seen them in a regular Walmart. I guess I don't care as long as they don't change the formula.

I've used the ones that I've bought at the Salon and then the ones at Walmart and it is the same exact thing. Joico can only be sold in a salon, hence why it is being sold at the Wally World salon. Now, if it was being sold next to the suave shampoos and condish, it would be suspect as well, but it isn't. Besides, Joico doesn't have a "lesser" version of their products and I highly doubt that a company such as Walmart would risk a lawsuit with Joico.

The Super Walmart near me had them in the regular aisle next to the other "regular" shampoos. Of course they have a salon also but these items were on the shelves in the aisles. I guess it makes sense though, if they order them for their salon then they just order more for the shelves... I guess

I remember years ago Nexxus was the big salon product you could never buy in stores and now they're in every store you turn to.

I've never had any problems with products from stores like Walmart or Target. It seems like I have more problems with items I buy from the BSS's because they seem to itch my scalp more for some reason.

Back