Jherri Curl ROLL CALL!

preciousjewel76

So, how many of you also suffered with one of those dreaded jherri curls? I had a "Leisure Curl" from 7th-9th grades (about 1988-1990). I swear that my hair hasn't been the same since:lol: . My mom persuaded me to get a curl so she wouldn't have to do my hair anymore. Quite frankly, I hated the durn thing! I had to cut off my relaxed hair to get the curl, then cut off the curled hair to get it relaxed again.:ohwell: NO FUN!

Who else had one? What were your experiences? Did you have to wear a baggie on your head?

P.S. - I *wish* I could find a picture of Keenan Ivory Wayans' "Jerry Curl" character from the movie "Hollywood Shuffle"!:lachen:

Personal Jheri Curl Stats

Name: Supergirl
Age at The Time of JCV*: Age 5
Describe Your Jheri Curl Experience: It was stinky, other kids made fun of me, had to sleep with plastic bag every night (baggie method is not a new thing!), but my hair got longer. :)

*JVC=Jheri Curl Victimization
Edited: Whoops, meant JCV

Last edited:
Supergirl said:

Describe Your Jheri Curl Experience: It was stinky, other kids made fun of me, had to sleep with plastic bag every night (baggie method is not a new thing!), but my hair got longer. :)

WOW, you were a baby when you had a curl!:eek: Poor thing. I didn't have to wear a baggie with the Leisure Curl; it was supposed to be the "next thing" in JC technology or something because they billed it as a "dry curl". I used activator gel instead of spray/baggie.

Oh, GOD! Yes I sure did.

I mentioned in a previous post (in another thread) how my mom had no clue how to care for my hair and drug me to an evil stylist who I hope has eternal gonorhea for what she did to me!

It was like 1991 or 1992, when the whole world could not stop making fun of Jherri curls. This :censored: stylist proly had 50 boxes of jherri curl chemicals that nobody would buy and boy did I pay the price.

I didn't wear a baggie on my head because I had literally NO IDEA how to care for this style. The stylist told my mom all kinds of lies, whatever she wanted to hear, just to get that money. :dollar: I looked so damn ruff, y'all. :cry2:

Let me find that :censored: somewhere... ooohhh...:hammer: :angry2:

:lachen:
Crlsweetie:
JC victim
Age at time of crime: 8 or 9
Lenght of JC torture time: about a year

My mom's best friend was a kitchen beautician and put on in my hair. UGGGH. The smell if that stuff is horrific. It was never cute, always greasy or dry (cause my mom didn't buy or couldn't afford the JC juice) Thankfully, I didn't suffer too much long term damage.

crlsweetie912 said:
:lachen:
Crlsweetie:
JC victim
Age at time of crime: 8 or 9
Lenght of JC torture time: about a year

My mom's best friend was a kitchen beautician and put on in my hair. UGGGH. The smell if that stuff is horrific. It was never cute, always greasy or dry (cause my mom didn't buy or couldn't afford the JC juice) Thankfully, I didn't suffer too much long term damage.

Awww man, that stuff STINKS! I still remember the scent of it. I *hated* going to the salon to get my curl "touch-up" because of that stench, plus it took forever to get all those tiny perm rods put in my hair.:mad:

Oh Yes Baby!! I was one to, I had it about from 4th grade to sixth grade, My mama took me to this old lady who cut all my hair off to like 3inches boy I was crying, then she put the JC Rollers in there and all that Solution, when she took the rods out it was nice and curly but GREASY! That damn bag squished and crampled all night long, my pillow case was stained from the juice, I never kept it neat, it just looked a mess, I didn't cut it out I just stopped getting a touch up and used a Curling iron and before you know it I was out of that JC if they only knew all we needed was to never get a Relaxer and use JC Juice LOL!!! Oh! then the old lady fuffed my curl with a FORK!!! (as in knife and FORK)She said it was better than a Pick! My mama was just lazy and didn't want to do my hair, she kept hers all rolled up and neat.

Supergirl said:

I had a jheri curl at age 5 too. What the heck was my mom thinking?:lol:
She's had a Leisure curl for as long as I can remember...she still has it now. I one time pursuaded her to wear her hair differently and get it straightened, and you know what....It was so long and healthy.....since she never does anything to it but apply more curl activator:lol:

Care free Curl
Wave Nouveau all thru high school.

Yeah I had a plastic cap I wore to bed. You should have seen the backs of our couches... looked just like Coming to America

:lol: I had a leisure curl too! I had it done when I was 8 or so. I just remember really moist hair and the smell of the products. My stylist also called it a 'dry curl', but there was nothing dry about it!

SoulGlo.gif

*raises hand reluctantly*

I was a Jherri curl victim during Jr. High (87-88). :mad: :lachen:

preciousjewel76 said:
So, how many of you also suffered with one of those dreaded jherri curls? I had a "Leisure Curl" from 7th-9th grades (about 1988-1990). I swear that my hair hasn't been the same since:lol: . My mom persuaded me to get a curl so she wouldn't have to do my hair anymore. Quite frankly, I hated the durn thing! I had to cut off my relaxed hair to get the curl, then cut off the curled hair to get it relaxed again.:ohwell: NO FUN!

Who else had one? What were your experiences? Did you have to wear a baggie on your head?

P.S. - I *wish* I could find a picture of Keenan Ivory Wayans' "Jerry Curl" character from the movie "Hollywood Shuffle"!:lachen:

***dies***

NappyParadise said:
Oh Yes Baby!! I was one to, I had it about from 4th grade to sixth grade, My mama took me to this old lady who cut all my hair off to like 3inches boy I was crying, then she put the JC Rollers in there and all that Solution, when she took the rods out it was nice and curly but GREASY! That damn bag squished and crampled all night long, my pillow case was stained from the juice, I never kept it neat, it just looked a mess, I didn't cut it out I just stopped getting a touch up and used a Curling iron and before you know it I was out of that JC if they only knew all we needed was to never get a Relaxer and use JC Juice LOL!!! Oh! then the old lady fuffed my curl with a FORK!!! (as in knife and FORK)She said it was better than a Pick! My mama was just lazy and didn't want to do my hair, she kept hers all rolled up and neat.

Yep, I had a carefree curl back in the day. I got it at age 9 or 10 and then got rid of it in the Fall of 1989 when I started 10th grade. :eek: Man my hair went through some changes when I got rid of the curl to get a relaxer.

Hi, my name is sequoia ... and i used to have a jherri curl... :perplexed

the 1 good thing was that it made my hair thick. but i also had my orange activator dripping down my face esp. since my mom believed that more was more. Had it from age 5-11.
i do not miss the patches on every surface i rested my head on or the fact that my hair stayed the same length for 6yrs.

Divalicious said:
:lol: I had a leisure curl too! I had it done when I was 8 or so. I just remember really moist hair and the smell of the products. My stylist also called it a 'dry curl', but there was nothing dry about it!

SoulGlo.gif

No you didn't.....:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: , not the Soul Glo!!!!!

I had a Jherri Curl when I was 10 and one time the lady left the chemical on tooooo long and I had scab sores/crusts in my hair. My hair was stuck to the crusted scabs! However, my hair has bounced back from that ordeal! I had to go to school looking a HAM!

Last edited:
I had a drippy juicy jherri curl! *drip drip*

I had one in the 6th grade.It was pretty though. It was big curls cut into a bob. :D

OMG!!! Sore topic.:mad: Yeah I was a Jherri Curl victim too. My mom cut off my APL length hair to get one of those Mo Fo's. I felt to ashamed and embarrased when I have nice thick long hair one day and have short greasy smelly hair the next. She was the reason my hair was so jacked up. I went from natural to pressed to jherri curl to relaxed. Mind you she never messed up her long BSL ( at that time) with that crap.:mad: Really sore topic....

tnorenberg said:
OMG!!! Sore topic.:mad: Yeah I was a Jherri Curl victim too. My mom cut off my APL length hair to get one of those Mo Fo's. I felt to ashamed and embarrased when I have nice thick long hair one day and have short greasy smelly hair the next. She was the reason my hair was so jacked up. I went from natural to pressed to jherri curl to relaxed. Mind you she never messed up her long BSL ( at that time) with that crap.:mad: Really sore topic....

It's OK girl....let it out, just let it out!

I swear, there should be some kind of Jheri Curl Survivor's support group.:look:

I had a wave nouveau for 6 months and loved it. My hair never grew so fast and I didn't need the "jheri curl juice". :lol: My pet peeve was shelling out the dough to get touch ups.:D

preciousjewel76 said:
It's OK girl....let it out, just let it out!

I swear, there should be some kind of Jheri Curl Survivor's support group.:look:

For real girl!!!! I'm having flashbacks now :drool: :crying3:

DDtexlaxd said:
I had a wave nouveau for 6 months and loved it. My hair never grew so fast and I didn't need the "jheri curl juice". :lol: My pet peeve was shelling out the dough to get touch ups.:D

^5 DDtexlaxd... I had a jheri curl and I loved it too, except for the juice dripping part, but I was very economical with the juice. I argued that the plastic cap kept my hair juicy enough so I didn't add more every day. Jheri curls were my introduction to the world of chemicals. My mom didn't have anything to do with it. I was at an age where I could do whatever I wanted but she didn't approve of chemicals so I never heard the end of it. Particularly when I got burned during a touch up. And "touch-ups" was a dirty word to her. Why I had to keep going back to the stylist for sth to be done, like I had some disease that needed treatment, just boggled her mind. LOL Wait, I even have a pic. One thing I loved about JC was how fast my hair grew with it.

Much as my mom was anti-chemicals, she did get a jheri curl eventually but treated it more like wave nouveau (using very little gel and no spray) and combed it out into a TWA 'fro. She loved the big curls but not the juice.

We both suffered damage from overprocessing (Anyone remember curls that don't spring, but just hang? Yep! That's what happened to mine. I transitioned in braids to natural first, cutting off the JC hair that didn't break off. before ever trying relaxers on my virgin hair.)

Last edited:
Back