Jeri Curl and Type 4A

Robin41

Can somebody tell me how to do the jeri curl look and the best products to use? I'm still on a quest to find the easiest, no frills, low maintenance hair styles to get me thru the winter and I'm told you can get a curly look by applying hair polisher and curl activator to wet hair.

I'd like to hear from those of you who've tried this, especially 4A's. I'm thinking that as soon as my hair dries, it's gonna look dry and hard and not be the soft curly look I'm going for.

Any suggestions?

Relaxed - about half-way through to my regular 8-week touch-up so I've got about a 1/2 inch of new growth.

Okay.

I'm not relaxed so my advice won't help but other members are. They'll give you suggestions for getting the jheri curl look. Just give 'em a sec. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm relaxed also, but I'm curious about this...how could this be with relaxed hair? Most relaxed hair is straight. Mine is underprocessed from a no-lye mess, and looks curly, but all I get is a big afro puff. Anyone have any insight on this??

I have type 4 hair and the only way I have found to come close to this is wet setting with bantu knots.

I tried the wet hair with activator, Sebastian wet, and other gels (separately, not together) all i got was a mess. It would kinda wave but it would be hard and dry.

Apply a setting cream or leave in conditioner and try plaiting or twisting you hair when it's damp. Finger fluff when it's dry. Depending on the size and number of twists, the hair will be tightly curled or wavy.

I'm SO glad I asked ya'll before I tried this. I think I'll pass on the scrunchie look (I'm thinking all I'd get is a mess too, Carrie) and keep looking for low-maintenance hairstyles.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I am able to accomplish the look (while relaxed) by just washing my hair and then adding my typical products, but also a gel.

Natrlchallenge said:
You can't mix a jheri curl w/ a relaxer. Pls make sure u don't make that mistake
I was just going to post this too! Mixing it with a relaxer is a sure way to have no hair in no time. I've seen it happen.

Back