JenniferMD? Can we have step by step instructions on your Ripple Effect Bun?

tthreat08

I looked at your album, and love the ripple effect bun. I can't quite figure it out though. It's a style I think we could all enjoy!

Thanks!

tthreat08 said:
I looked at your album, and love the ripple effect bun. I can't quite figure it out though. It's a style I think we could all enjoy!

Thanks!

I believe she's posted these instructions before. Let me go and find it for you. BRB

btw, threat08: Your hair is simply gorgeous!!!

onepraying said:
I believe she's posted these instructions before. Let me go and find it for you. BRB

btw, threat08: Your hair is simply gorgeous!!!

Weeeellll.....it looks like she posted step-by-step of a blow out.... :ohwell:

sorry...

She has posted the steps before. I think she used something to make her hair curl, like an activator.

Queenie said:
She has posted the steps before. I think she used something to make her hair curl, like an activator.
I knew she did! I tried looking under ripple effects because I think she used John Frieda Ripple Effects to do it.....oh well... :ohwell:

Speaking of Jennifer MD....she said awhile back that she was gonna post a step-by-step of her twist out. I know there are pictures of the process in her journal, but she said she would post on how you actually make the twists. Does anyone know if she ever did? If not, can someone tell me how you do them? They're like cornrows, but using two strands instead of 3.

Yu could always to a flat twistout and then put it in a bun. Does the same thing for me. Maybe she does something differnt. Bumping for her technique....

I'm so sorry I'm late ya'll.

I put instructions in my album for the ripple effect bun. But I'll elaborate here:

Step 1:

100_2004-th.jpg

Wash the hair with your preference of shampoo and conditioner.

Step 2:

100_2054-th.jpg

Tie a scarf around the edges of your head...like a headband. This is to make sure that your edges stay straight and also aids in the final look for the bun. Then swoop up the two front sides and secure with bobby pins. Afterward you have the desired front look apply John Freida's ripple effect spray on your wet hair and scrunch.

Step 3 (optional):

100_2055-th.jpg

Depending how full you want your ripple effect bun you scrunch more or less. I wanted a fully bun so I did extra scrunching for more shrinkage.

Step 4:

100_2058-th.jpg

This is where it gets tricky. I used a narrow elastic head band to tie the lose hair together to form the bun. You wrap the band around the hair loosely so your bun won't lose width, then you form the bun and secure it with bobby pins. I used four here...the less you use the better.

You can see the enlarged instructions here: http://public.fotki.com/JenniferMD/2005/may/

Phoenix--I did say I was going to post some pics of the twist...but I can't seem to capture the concept. It's sooooo simple, I promise. I even tried to take pictures last night (I wore my twistout today) and I feel like it looks more complicated than it really is. Maybe I just need to post what I took and leave it up to you guys if it helps any?

JenniferMD said:
Phoenix--I did say I was going to post some pics of the twist...but I can't seem to capture the concept. It's sooooo simple, I promise. I even tried to take pictures last night (I wore my twistout today) and I feel like it looks more complicated than it really is. Maybe I just need to post what I took and leave it up to you guys if it helps any?

Thanks for responding. I guess I just need to play around with my hair and figure it out. I just don't like to comb and mess with my hair when I don't know what I'm doing. I feel like it puts too much stress on it. But I'm sure I can figure it out. Did you decide to go ahead and post the pics you took? They may be some help.

JenniferMD said:
I'm so sorry I'm late ya'll.

I put instructions in my album for the ripple effect bun. But I'll elaborate here:

Step 1:

100_2004-th.jpg

Wash the hair with your preference of shampoo and conditioner.

Step 2:

100_2054-th.jpg

Tie a scarf around the edges of your head...like a headband. This is to make sure that your edges stay straight and also aids in the final look for the bun. Then swoop up the two front sides and secure with bobby pins. Afterward you have the desired front look apply John Freida's ripple effect spray on your wet hair and scrunch.

Step 3 (optional):

100_2055-th.jpg

Depending how full you want your ripple effect bun you scrunch more or less. I wanted a fully bun so I did extra scrunching for more shrinkage.

Step 4:

100_2058-th.jpg

This is where it gets tricky. I used a narrow elastic head band to tie the lose hair together to form the bun. You wrap the band around the hair loosely so your bun won't lose width, then you form the bun and secure it with bobby pins. I used four here...the less you use the better.

You can see the enlarged instructions here: http://public.fotki.com/JenniferMD/2005/may/

I remember these instructions! I also remember being totally confused.... :look: Now I know why......... I couldn't understand why in step 2 you swooped the two front sides up. You don't mention this in the album..anyway, I don't see how it ties into the effect of the bun...do you do it to get a puffier front look? Then pull it down so you can secure with the hair band?

onepraying said:
I remember these instructions! I also remember being totally confused.... :look: Now I know why......... I couldn't understand why in step 2 you swooped the two front sides up. You don't mention this in the album..anyway, I don't see how it ties into the effect of the bun...do you do it to get a puffier front look? Then pull it down so you can secure with the hair band?

:lol: I can see how it's confusing. I swooped the two front sides up to help with the placement of the bun and for a puffier front look. I never pulled it down in the last step. The headband is tied to the hair in the second step.

See
100_2055-vi.jpg

100_2058-vi.jpg

JenniferMD said:
:lol: I can see how it's confusing. I swooped the two front sides up to help with the placement of the bun and for a puffier front look. I never pulled it down in the last step. The headband is tied to the hair in the second step.

See
100_2055-vi.jpg

100_2058-vi.jpg

Beautiful. Love it!:grin:

PNutBrwnKink said:
Does your hair have to be long to do this? I have about 7-8 inches of natural hair. TIA

Not at all, if you can get your hair to bunch up in a bun then you're good :up:

Brinasia said:
Does your have to be natural to ripple like this?

Definitely not, I'm not natural. I used john freida's ripple effect spray for relaxed hair to get my hair to curl up like that. Some people say it's discountined, but I think it depends on your area because I always see this product when I'm in the BSS.

Jennifer, you are my hair inspiration!! :D I wanted to know if you could list what products you use. I did not see it in your album. Not for this particular style, but in general?? Relaxer, shampoo, conditioner, etc...

Oh...I didn't imagine that it would look like that at all...it looks good...Thanks for the pics. Next time I do a braid/twist out...I'll give this a try.

peacelove said:
Jennifer, you are my hair inspiration!! :D I wanted to know if you could list what products you use. I did not see it in your album. Not for this particular style, but in general?? Relaxer, shampoo, conditioner, etc...

Oh my gosh, YOUR hair is stunning!!!! Can I get a list of YOUR products? :lol: I'm in the midst of revamping my entire regiment and implementing entirely new products. When I went to Spain I picked up a couple of products that I'm using right now. But for the most part, with the pics in my album I've used NTM poo and conditioner. For a moisturizer - soft sheen's gold creme. I've been pretty bad with relaxers (I use whatever my stylist is using and she's been switching up) Affirm, Exclusives, Opitium and Motions (all lye though) And I use kemi oyl for days when I need a little bit of shine.

JenniferMD said:
Oh my gosh, YOUR hair is stunning!!!! Can I get a list of YOUR products? :lol: I'm in the midst of revamping my entire regiment and implementing entirely new products. When I went to Spain I picked up a couple of products that I'm using right now. But for the most part, with the pics in my album I've used NTM poo and conditioner. For a moisturizer - soft sheen's gold creme. I've been pretty bad with relaxers (I use whatever my stylist is using and she's been switching up) Affirm, Exclusives, Opitium and Motions (all lye though) And I use kemi oyl for days when I need a little bit of shine.

Oh thank you for the compliment! But that is only because you have not seen the FRONT. :lachen: I cannot seem to find the ideal product mix - but I am on a mission to get to your length and nice and even. I love your styles and I currently do the one week heat one week no heat regime. I may switch to more no heat though to see if I can get this growth really going.I have to try NTM again, I tried it once and don't remember what I thought about it! But I love the leave in.

But thanks for getting back to me. Also, if you all cannot find the ripple effect, maybe you all can try Dream Curls by John Frieda. That works really nice and for those that know Tracey (color master!) she used that all the time for her wash and goes to help curls.

I love that bun Jennifer, so pretty. I bet it would look nice with a flower or chopsticks too. I'm going to try it out but for some reason I'm all thumbs when it comes to buns.

Back