JBCO/Castor Oil Experts ... Help!

LaPetiteCoquette

While in NY I always ordered my JBCO from Sam's Caribbean. Tropic Isle I believe is the brand. It's amber coloured, says its raw and unrefined, and it's the consistency of most other oils though a little thicker of course. Now I live in Toronto and in one of the BSSs I found this other castor oil. It doesn't say "Jamaican" or "black" though in the back it says that this is the type used in the Caribbean, Africa, US (confused by that one), etc. It is black, like brownish black and really thick, kinda like motor oil. :ohwell: Does anyone have experience with both and can tell me which one is better, more pure, etc.? I have to say I do love the Tropic Isle one (it makes my hair feel lovely). So I might have to suck it up and pay $15 for it from honeyfig.com (though I feel like it's way overpriced).

Last edited:
While in NY I always ordered my JBCO from Sam's Club. Tropic Isle I believe is the brand. It's amber coloured, says its raw and unrefined, and it's the consistency of most other oils though a little thicker of course. Now I live in Toronto and in one of the BSSs I found this other castor oil. It doesn't say "Jamaican" or "black" though in the back it says that this is the type used in the Caribbean, Africa, US (confused by that one), etc. It is black, like brownish black and really thick, kinda like motor oil. :ohwell: Does anyone have experience with both and can tell me which one is better, more pure, etc.? I have to say I do love the Tropic Isle one (it makes my hair feel lovely). So I might have to suck it up and pay $15 for it from honeyfig.com (though I feel like it's way overpriced).

Hmm, I'm not too familiar with Toronto, but I know it has a large West Indian community (I have family up there from the islands originally). Anyways, I'm sure that you could probably find Tropic Isle JBCO at a West Indian grocer or a West Indian health store. Try there first, instead of paying shipping and handling again. In NY, I've found Tropic Isle JBCO in the BSS and at a health store that caters to West Indians (the kind selling all those tonics, herbs, and Koromantee type stuff, lol).

What is the name of the thicker castor oil that you found in the BSS?

*warning: this will not answer your question*

you get JBCO from sams club? as in the cousin of walmart, sams club?!

do they sell it in the store too?!

^^^ OOOPPS, let me fix that in my first post (typing too quickly). I meant Sam's Caribbean (or www.sams247.com). Sorry for the mixup and thanks for your response. Yeah, some of the Toronto ladies on here kindly directed me to two Caribbean stores. One had that blackish one I was talking about. I will check out the other one before I order. I bought it b/c I ran out of my other one, but I will still keep looking out. Just wanted to see if there was any difference.

^^^ OOOPPS, let me fix that in my first post (typing too quickly). I meant Sam's Caribbean (or www.sams247.com). Sorry for the mixup and thanks for your response. Yeah, some of the Toronto ladies on here kindly directed me to two Caribbean stores. One had that blackish one I was talking about. I will check out the other one before I order. I bought it b/c I ran out of my other one, but I will still keep looking out. Just wanted to see if there was any difference.
aww mannnnn.

well i guess i will end up getting it online anyway, lol

i hate shipping charges!

^^ No it's like a white label. And it's in a plastic bottle. :ohwell: I am used it being in a an brown bottle. I used it and is a little thick for my hair, and I have 4B/zzz hair so that's saying a lot. I guess I will keep looking out for the other type (like Sam's has) and use this one in my conditioner to finish it.

Back