January 2024 Hits Misses or On The Fence?

Current Continued Hit(s): :up:

In no particular order -
K18
Olaplex 0 & 3
Redken Acidic Bonding Pre-Poo
Curlsmith Salve
Curlsmith's Cleansing Conditioner
Neges Banda Hair Food Pomade
Soultanicals Fenugreek Pomade
HennaSooq's Clay Wash
Sarenzo Products
APB's Keratin DC'er
Komaza Protein DC'er
Joico K-Pak
Nexxus Keraphix
KeraCare Dry & Itchy Scalp

Some old hits that I just rediscovered:

- Camille Rose Coconut Water line, especially the Penetrating Treatment. Moisture on 10!
- Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise. Excellent protein/moisture balance DC. Always leaves my hair strong but hydrated.
- SheScentIt Plum Nectar & Agave Moisture Rich Hair Mayo. I needed to do a heavy protein treatment after taking out a 6-week protective style. I added a collagen/keratin/wheat protein mix to some of the SheScentIt DC, and my hair still came out very moisturized after I rinsed it out. Bringing this back to the rotation.

I'm realizing how much my hair loves proteins with cholesterol in it, like the last 2 DCs that I mentioned. If anyone has any other hits that have it, please let me know!

Current hits:
Clarifying with Kinky Curly Come Clean
Treatment Combo- Olaplex #4/5
Moisturizing Combo- Amika Hydro Rush Shampoo/Conditioner
Protein- Adwoa Baomint Deep Conditioner
Style- Mielle Pomegranate and Honey Mousse/Coiling Custard
Mimi’s hail oil
Wigs
Microtrimming

Looks like a hit. NYC gel topped with Mixed Chic’s mousse! I almost threw it away. I saw a stylist on IG topping a gel with a mousse. It makes my hair less firm but more style able. Let me go check to their site to see if they have it. However, I’m sure any good mousse will work. The stylist used Ouidad gel and another mousse I can’t recall.

Some old hits that I just rediscovered:

- Camille Rose Coconut Water line, especially the Penetrating Treatment. Moisture on 10!
- Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise. Excellent protein/moisture balance DC. Always leaves my hair strong but hydrated.
- SheScentIt Plum Nectar & Agave Moisture Rich Hair Mayo. I needed to do a heavy protein treatment after taking out a 6-week protective style. I added a collagen/keratin/wheat protein mix to some of the SheScentIt DC, and my hair still came out very moisturized after I rinsed it out. Bringing this back to the rotation.

I'm realizing how much my hair loves proteins with cholesterol in it, like the last 2 DCs that I mentioned. If anyone has any other hits that have it, please let me know!
Do you order Camille Rose from her website?

Continued hit for me is the SheScentIt okra conditioner. I didn’t follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner this past wash day and the results were great! Every year I lie and say that I am only going to buy all of my products from just a few brands and SSI is always one of them lol.

HIT
Mielle Babassu Mint Deep Conditioner
Sarenzo products
Olaplex 3,4,5, and my favorite #6

Miss
Irestore - Shampoo and conditioner

miss: as I am curl enhancing
bekura beauty honey latte leave in hair milk

these products left my hair so dry. I mosturize my hair at night but by morning, my hair is bone dry. smh. I'm low porosity.

I'm gonna use up what's left and by Friday both products should be gone. I'm getting knotless braids done soon thank god

Miss
Kinky Curly Knot Today as a Leave-in Conditioner---this was an "on the fence" a month or so ago but now I can officially say it is a miss for me. Even using it with a modified version of the "Kimmaytube" recipe, my hair feels more dense and just all around drier than when I use other leave-in conditioners. My hair is low density for the most part so it feeling more dense isn't much of a problem but I don't like how rough and dry my strands are the next day. I am used to my hair feeling soft, supple and moisturized for several days after using a leave-in conditioner. I should not have to moisturize my hair that soon after a shampoo and intense deep condition but with this leave-in conditioner I do. What's even worse is that it is quite hard to get the moisture back into my hair with my regular daily moisturizers. Oh well. I gave it a good trial but now I have 1.5 bottles to either ditch or repurpose some other way. I blow dry my hair so maybe it works best on air dried hair or maybe it doesn't mesh with the heat protectant I use IDK. I barely experiment with the wash n go style but maybe I will see if it works best with layering under a curl product whenever I decide to do that style sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Hits
Mist spray bottle:
Love having this so much. It helps to make my hair damp and not too wet before I apply a moisturizer and oil.

Inspired Naturals Triple Shea Butter: This is pretty good on my skin over lotion but the real gold is using this on my hair. My hair feels so soft and plump/strengthened (almost how it feels after a steam treatment). It makes my hair easier to detangle with my hands or combs. I like this so much I bought another one to gift to my mom. :)

Alodia Flourish Hair & Scalp Herbal Infusion: This oil has saved my scalp from the cold weather and irritation from hair dye. Heed the directions that say to only use a few drops at a time because this stuff is powerful.

Miss
Trying to wash my hair without sections.
Yeah, that was not a great idea. lol Thankfully, my hair didn't mat but it was much harder to clean my scalp and there was more tangling then usual. My hair is grazing BSL.

Fear of booking a salon appointment. I just can't bring myself to do it seeing as my last appointment at the salon was disasters. I need a trim. :cry3:

HIT
Head and Shoulders Royal Oils Shampoo. Tried it this past wash day. I was not expecting much, but I really enjoyed this one. The shampoo is a creamy texture with a good lather. I felt it cleansed well. And it is helping keep flakes and scalp irritation at bay.

Back