Janky A$$ Aveda Consultations

J, I don't want to say it, but i think all aveda salons are garbage....even though i've only dealt with two, couple that with your experience, and its enough to make me not step near one again...

one time i went to one by my home time.... what a catastrophe...it cost as much as a perm for just a simple condition treatment.... and the one (count him..) ONE black person they had in there who by the way had NO HAIR they said he was experienced with "my kind of hair (whatever the heck that means...i was currently growing out a perm at the time and had several months new growth but my natural texture is about a 3C- better than my matted relaxed hair)"....

i was satisfied with how the treatment went.... that being because i wasn't dealing with "baldy" either.... he was really pompous too...and then once i got it rinsed out, he tore his fingers thru my hair (FIRST SIGN HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING) and then when we sat down to comb it...he asked when the last time was i had received a cut. i explained that i trim individually the strands and he said that i don't do a good job, and he proceeded to cut off WAY MORE than a DUSTING.....

then he said i needed to (and i quote) "get it cut regularly to make it grow" (SECOND SIGN HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING" and i was terribly offended but just sat there. then i asked if i could just go home like that because i had a feeling he would use heat and i'm just not into heat like that anymore he said "nope not until we style it" so i asked if he knew two-strand twist cornrows..... his response, "no but my wife probably does.." (a**hole- much help that does she wasn't even there!) (3RD SIGN HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING) and then he i asked if he could do a rollerset and "no i'm going to straighten it" (i don't know perhaps temporary insanity on my part?" he straightened it and i ended up looking like "A MIXED SHIRLEY TEMPLE"....

NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN! im so taking things into my own hands...i dont care if i never color again!

Last edited:
JCoily said:
At this point I was done and my mind was made up that he wasn't getting his hands on my hair. (BTW - not once during the entire 'consultation' did he touch my hair to assess $hit) So I decided to wrap up by asking how much it would cost. Now previously the owner/manager guy gave me a pricelist and I figured it would be around $300, plus they had a special for 1/2 off on the first visit. Well the stylist told me that the price list wasn't for African American hair. He quoted me prices that were $5-$20 above the listed prices for services. For color, highlights, a 'cut/trim', straightening and styling, his quote was close to $450, before the 1/2 off coupon.

Is that even allowed?:eek: :eek: :eek:

meia said:
J, I don't want to say it, but i think all aveda salons are garbage....even though i've only dealt with two, couple that with your experience, and its enough to make me not step near one again...

It wouldn't have occurred to me to even try a white salon, but Aveda was getting the thumbs up across the hair boards for nappy hair color.

Dammit, don't make me have to fly to DC to get Miko or Titi to cut and color my hair.

SexySin985 said:
Is that even allowed?:eek: :eek: :eek:
Nope, it is discriminatory to just spit that out. But the stylist was black and throughout the conversation he kept going all 'sista girl' on me, so his inappropriateness mode was in full swing.

Now I am normally really laid back when talking to folks, but I take my hair and my money hella seriously, so I was in bi'ness mode with the dialogue with old dude. Whereas, he was trying to kick it and I wasn't there looking for a new friend. I was looking for someone to do my hair the way I wanted it did.

thos eprices are outrageous, but its hard to find salons anywhere that are familiar with "highly textured hair" and how to treat it.

JCoily said:
After reading all the salon horror stories I figure I'm getting everything understood about what I want and what they are going to do before I ever sit in a stylists chair.
Way to handle your business, J!

I understand what he meant by a trim and cut being the "same" thing as far as price. At Hair Cuttery for instance, the price is the same no matter how much you want cut, whether it's a dusting or a style cut. A proper trim involves going into the hair in sections and making sure everything is blended after the ends are removed. Salons that have a lower "trim" price may just be evening up or blunting the perimeter, thereby leaving much of the ends untouched. That's not a good and thorough trim. It's always a good idea to find out what their definition of a trim is.

Highly textured hair does involve more time and skill for many services, but it was obvious those stylists were clueless on how to handle it. I wish I was there to hook you up.

balisi said:

I understand what he meant by a trim and cut being the "same" thing as far as price. At Hair Cuttery for instance, the price is the same no matter how much you want cut, whether it's a dusting or a style cut. A proper trim involves going into the hair in sections and making sure everything is blended after the ends are removed. Salons that have a lower "trim" price may just be evening up or blunting the perimeter, thereby leaving much of the ends untouched. That's not a good and thorough trim. It's always a good idea to find out what their definition of a trim is.

Highly textured hair does involve more time and skill for many services, but it was obvious those stylists were clueless on how to handle it. I wish I was there to hook you up.

Balisi, Thanks for clearing that up. I remember watching some makeover show (I think it was makeover manor on tv one) and the stylist was saying that whether its a trim or a cut, it's the same amount of work for the stylist fingers so she didn't see the point in charging two different prices. I didn't realize people had different definitions of trims.

balisi said:

Good looking out! Girl if I was down where you at I'd be all up in ya chair! :D

It wasn't so much the price that I took issue with. The difference between cut and trim to me was about the amount of length being cut off.

I didn't mention this in the original post but I told him that if I got my hair flat ironed, I'd only be wearing it until my hair reverted then it was back to a puff so it wasn't necessary for my hair to be perfectly even. He seemed to be under the impression that he would be derelict if he let me leave without shaping my hair.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Balisi, Thanks for clearing that up. I remember watching some makeover show (I think it was makeover manor on tv one) and the stylist was saying that whether its a trim or a cut, it's the same amount of work for the stylist fingers so she didn't see the point in charging two different prices. I didn't realize people had different definitions of trims.
Yeah, the way a lot of stylists look at it, anytime we have to pick up our shears, razors, clippers, whatever, it's going to be the same price, especially at salons known for cuts, which typically do good cuts.

I just remembered the time I had one of my co-stylists highlight my natural hair. She told me it would be easier and faster for her if I straightened my hair first. I complied, since I was getting it done at a deep discount and didn't want her further intimidated by my natural glory. But if I was paying full price it would have been a different story. I'm going to try a different stylist I work with for my next set of highlights, and dang it, I'm not straightening a :censored: thing!

JCoily said:
Good looking out! Girl if I was down where you at I'd be all up in ya chair! :D

It wasn't so much the price that I took issue with. The difference between cut and trim to me was about the amount of length being cut off.

I didn't mention this in the original post but I told him that if I got my hair flat ironed, I'd only be wearing it until my hair reverted then it was back to a puff so it wasn't necessary for my hair to be perfectly even. He seemed to be under the impression that he would be derelict if he let me leave without shaping my hair.
That's when you show him (on your hair, between your fingers) exactly how much you want cut. That's how the white girls communicate and believe me, it is very effective. :lol: Oftentimes, you just gotta make sure you and your stylist are on the same page. In fact, a good stylist will be the one to make sure ya'll are on the same page before he/she picks up the cutting tool.

And if they insist on straightening your hair first, they should be prepared to do the straightening at no additional charge. If they don't agree, they are not equipped to cut textured hair in its natural state and you might need to find a stylist who is.

I just wanted to say that I think you can sue if someone treats you badly or tries to charge you extra based on your hair type. There was a case against Hair Cuttery about this very issue in Maryland.

The stylist there would wear gloves when they did Black women's hair and would charge extra for their services. Some ladies got together and filed a discrimination suit against the company.

sunshinelady said:
I just wanted to say that I think you can sue if someone treats you badly or tries to charge you extra based on your hair type. There was a case against Hair Cuttery about this very issue in Maryland.

The stylist there would wear gloves when they did Black women's hair and would charge extra for their services. Some ladies got together and filed a discrimination suit against the company.
I sure hope they won their case against HC. :mad:

^^Ditto! I knew about charging higher prices, but not about wearing gloves :perplexed I wonder if that stylist goes swimming and gets the pool cleaned after seeing black people in it.

balisi said:
That's when you show him (on your hair, between your fingers) exactly how much you want cut. That's how the white girls communicate and believe me, it is very effective. :lol: Oftentimes, you just gotta make sure you and your stylist are on the same page. In fact, a good stylist will be the one to make sure ya'll are on the same page before he/she picks up the cutting tool.

And if they insist on straightening your hair first, they should be prepared to do the straightening at no additional charge. If they don't agree, they are not equipped to cut textured hair in its natural state and you might need to find a stylist who is.[/quote]

Oh I didn't know that! They usually charge me and arm and a leg to straighten my hair, then charge me for a cut :ohwell:

At Renee's in Owings Mills Mall they define a trim as cutting an inch or less of hair off. I can't remember if there are 2 different prices for cutting the hair into a style vs. a trim.

bmoreflyygirl said:

The guy who does my highlights does not straighten my natural hair to apply them. He lightens my hair allover and then adds the highlights. I love the way he does them and I constantly get compliments on them walking around. That is how I figure a stylist has some skill - can they "do" my hair such as a trim, cut or color without straightening it. If so, and it comes out to my standard, then they got skills in my book.

balisi said:
Yeah, the way a lot of stylists look at it, anytime we have to pick up our shears, razors, clippers, whatever, it's going to be the same price, especially at salons known for cuts, which typically do good cuts.

I just remembered the time I had one of my co-stylists highlight my natural hair. She told me it would be easier and faster for her if I straightened my hair first. I complied, since I was getting it done at a deep discount and didn't want her further intimidated by my natural glory. But if I was paying full price it would have been a different story. I'm going to try a different stylist I work with for my next set of highlights, and dang it, I'm not straightening a :censored: thing!

CurleeDST said:
At Renee's in Owings Mills Mall they define a trim as cutting an inch or less of hair off. I can't remember if there are 2 different prices for cutting the hair into a style vs. a trim.

Hmm... I popped in there once a few years ago. A friend of mines used to get her hair done there. She said they were expensive and stopped going. I didn't like the vibe in the shop when I was there just for that few minutes...

Can someone clear something up for me, please? Is there a difference between an Aveda salon and a salon that uses Aveda with Aveda trained stylists? I thought it was the Aveda salons that were getting all of the raves? Also, there is something called an Aveda Concept salon that's cheaper and I thought where the stylists were actually trained in the product usage? The Concept salons, I thought were also cheaper?

Am I completely confused on this one?

I'm glad the OP asked some really good questions beforehand. That seemed to save her a lot of possible grief later.

Wow really? I got my hair pressed there by a stylist named Summer. Renee is born again and my neighbor told me about them because she liked the vibe in there with the gospel music, etc.

The few times I went to summer I really liked her. She has natural hair and flat irons it regularly so much so I could NOT tell she didn't have a relaxer! She really got my natural hair straight (I have pictures in my fotki). She did the curls picture I have in my fotki.

I let them "trim" my daughter's hair.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Hmm... I popped in there once a few years ago. A friend of mines used to get her hair done there. She said they were expensive and stopped going. I didn't like the vibe in the shop when I was there just for that few minutes...

Kimberly said:
Can someone clear something up for me, please? Is there a difference between an Aveda salon and a salon that uses Aveda with Aveda trained stylists? I thought it was the Aveda salons that were getting all of the raves? Also, there is something called an Aveda Concept salon that's cheaper and I thought where the stylists were actually trained in the product usage? The Concept salons, I thought were also cheaper?

Am I completely confused on this one?

I'm glad the OP asked some really good questions beforehand. That seemed to save her a lot of possible grief later.

I went back and read some old posts. I think that the actual Aveda Institute schools are the ones that get the best reviews, not necessarily the salons.

CurleeDST said:
Wow really? I got my hair pressed there by a stylist named Summer. Renee is born again and my neighbor told me about them because she liked the vibe in there with the gospel music, etc.

The few times I went to summer I really liked her. She has natural hair and flat irons it regularly so much so I could NOT tell she didn't have a relaxer! She really got my natural hair straight (I have pictures in my fotki). She did the curls picture I have in my fotki.

I let them "trim" my daughter's hair.

Really? IDK the people were looking at me weird. They were acting like they didn't want me to make an appointment. This was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I was still relaxed then and I wanted to speak to a stylist about my hair because I had some questions. Everybody acted like they were too busy to talk to me. I don't think Renee was there that day. I don't remember who I spoke with. I didn't like the vibe and walked out.

JCoily said:
I went back and read some old posts. I think that the actual Aveda Institute schools are the ones that get the best reviews, not necessarily the salons.

Okay. I thought it was something like that. I've bought Aveda products from salons that were not "Aveda" but (I think) just Aveda trained. So, since you saw it was the Aveda Institutes with the raves, will you find one of those in your area and give them an interview? Maybe they will measure up?

FeelinIt said:
My assumption is that it takes more product and time to do our hair then it would be to do other folks hair.

I don't know somebody help me out with that one.
I agree...some salons charge by the hour...

Let's take NATURAL-haired African-American woman versus a straight-haired Caucasian-American hair woman... they both want their hair washed and straightened at the salon...the salon charges $90 per hour... it's going to take longer to straighten the NATURAL-haired African-American woman's hair, so she's just going to have to pay more...

But $450 for a hair service is OUTRAGEOUS and WAY TOO MUCH!!!

Now if it's a RELAXED-haired African-American woman, I do not see why it would take longer to do than a straight-haired Caucasian-American woman's hair because their hair is both straight and can easily be washed and straightened at a salon.

Poohbear said:
I agree...some salons charge by the hour...

Let's take NATURAL-haired African-American woman versus a straight-haired Caucasian-American hair woman... they both want their hair washed and straightened at the salon...the salon charges $90 per hour... it's going to take longer to straighten the NATURAL-haired African-American woman's hair, so she's just going to have to pay more...
But $450 for a hair service is OUTRAGEOUS and WAY TOO MUCH!!!

Now if it's a RELAXED-haired African-American woman, I do not see why it would take longer to do than a straight-haired Caucasian-American woman's hair because their hair is both straight and can easily be washed and straightened at a salon.

Well... it depends on the stylist. Mines has it down to a science. My hair is neck/chin length now and my stylist got it straight in a half hour. That was including the wash. I never got my hair straightened that fast even when I was relaxed. He said most of his clients aren't in his chair longer than an hr to an hr and a half no matter how long their hair is.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Well... it depends on the stylist. Mines has it down to a science. My hair is neck/chin length now and my stylist got it straight in a half hour. That was including the wash. I never got my hair straightened that fast even when I was relaxed. He said most of his clients aren't in his chair longer than an hr to an hr and a half no matter how long their hair is.
Oh yeah! Thanks for mentioning that....I forgot to mention length of hair in my little example. :Blush2:

Let's say both of the client's had hair that was armpit to brastrap length. ;)

I also wanted to share my experience at an Aveda salon...it took my stylist 1hr & 45mins to wash, straighten, & trim my hair. They had 3 people on my head several times so that it wouldn't take up too much time! LOL! I have very dense super tight coily hair that's nearing APL. I paid $90 (which I think is expensive but I went there for a one-time experience so it was coo' with me).

Last edited:
Back