Jamaican Ladies, come on in! Bridal Shower advice please!

TraciChanel

Hi Ladies,
I'm throwing a bridal shower for one of my friends who is Jamaican. I thought it might be nice to make it a Jamaican themed shower, since she's so far from home. I wanted to do a brunch shower. Can you ladies give me some ideas on what I can have on the menu? Like for instance, would stew peas and steamed rice be a good idea as one of the foods? Also, any other ideas on decor, music, etc., etc. would be GREATLY appreciated! TIA!

Prob should post in off topic. But I think festival, ackee and salt fish, lots of provision, liver, fish, jerk, mackerel, peas and rice mixed, curried goat etc. Drinks rum punch, Jamaican Sorrell etc.

Is this a surprise? Cuz I dunno what I would think if someone threw me a trini shower lol

Brunch...ok..

fried dumplings (johnny cake)
codfish fritters and/or ackee and saltfish
fried plantain
rundown (mackerel cooked with coconut milk- I don't like it , never had it...but some of my family really like it)

maybe also jerk chicken and rice and peas to add some more lunch-like options

Last edited:
Prob should post in off topic. But I think festival, ackee and salt fish, lots of provision, liver, fish, jerk, mackerel, peas and rice mixed, curried goat etc. Drinks rum punch, Jamaican Sorrell etc. Is this a surprise? Cuz I dunno what I would think if someone threw me a trini shower lol

Yes, it's a surprise! Tell me, if you were far away from home, would you like a Trini shower? Or do you think it's too much? Don't worry, I'm thick skinned, won't hurt my feelings, :lol: Just wanted to make it special for her. What do you think?

ETA: Thanks LiftedUp! How have you been?

Last edited:
Brunch...ok.. fried dumplings (johnny cake) codfish fritters and/or ackee and saltfish fried plantain rundown (mackerel cooked with coconut milk- I don't like it , never had it...but some of my family really like it) maybe also jerk chicken and rice and peas to add some more lunch-like options

Thank you so much LeftRightRepeat! I appreciate it :-)

Prob should post in off topic. But I think festival, ackee and salt fish, lots of provision, liver, fish, jerk, mackerel, peas and rice mixed, curried goat etc. Drinks rum punch, Jamaican Sorrell etc.

Is this a surprise? Cuz I dunno what I would think if someone threw me a trini shower lol

A food and drinks selection would be cute as long as you, or whoever know how to cook it well/authentically lol.

I'm also not sure about a full Jamaican themed shower. I'd go more traditional shower and splash in a little surprise here and there like a course of food, or something. If you know what music she likes then try to find artists similar and maybe play it a section of the time amongst other things.

I'm sure if I threw a party for a chinese friend and made chinese food, paper lanterns, painted dragons ect.. they would smile, but probably be like :look: inside. I'd tread carefully with bride related stuff. You know your friend better than anyone on here though:lol:.

Brunch...ok..

fried dumplings (johnny cake)
codfish fritters and/or ackee and saltfish
fried plantain
rundown (mackerel cooked with coconut milk- I don't like it , never had it...but some of my family really like it)

maybe also jerk chicken and rice and peas to add some more lunch-like options

This all day, i'm sure she would really enjoy the ackee and fried plantains green and ripe plantains.

A food and drinks selection would be cute as long as you, or whoever know how to cook it well/authentically lol.

I'm also not sure about a full Jamaican themed shower. I'd go more traditional shower and splash in a little surprise here and there like a course of food, or something. If you know what music she likes then try to find artists similar and maybe play it a section of the time amongst other things.

I'm sure if I threw a party for a chinese friend and made chinese food, paper lanterns, painted dragons ect.. they would smile, but probably be like :look: inside. I'd tread carefully with bride related stuff. You know your friend better than anyone on here though:lol:.

Please don't over do it with the food but almost everyone i know Caribbean loves plantains so adding that would be nice and we almost always miss ackee. If you could get cocktail patties too that would be a nice addition as finger food.

i agree here i dont think a full jamaican...(brap brap pull uppp baby shower theme bob marley playing in the background works..I'm being silly and sarcastic:lol:)

i do think adding a bit of a jamaican touch to different food/beverage options..would work

like you- i go hard for my friends and would be planning so hard adhering to the theme:lol:

i would have maybe a table with Jamaican dishes on it---and of course some other food options for the guest as well

for desert please dont forget the bread pudding or rum cake...yummm!!:yep:

very sweet of you to plan for her and acknowledge her background...:yep:

Thank you ladies so much for your input. I definitely don't want to offend her by over doing the Jamaican theme. Thank you all for your HONESTY! Much appreciated :yep: Ok, I can easily get ackee and cocktail patties and the other foods you mentioned. I will throw in some other dishes as well to have a balance.

Yes, it's a surprise! Tell me, if you were far away from home, would you like a Trini shower? Or do you think it's too much? Don't worry, I'm thick skinned, won't hurt my feelings, :lol: Just wanted to make it special for her. What do you think?

ETA: Thanks LiftedUp! How have you been?

idk it may be weird but I'd chalk it up to coming from the heart lol. I agree with the person who said to try to get the food from an authentic cook.

Everything especially the bolded. I would be touched that they threw in a couple of Trini themed aspects. Like some music, drinks and food.

But you will know your friend best :)

Back