Jada Pinkett-Smith's Regimen in Aug. Issue of Instyle

Someone asked in the August issue of Instyle (wonder if it was someone from here :lol: ) about Jada's regimen. This is what they said....

Q. How does Jada Pinkett Smith get her hair so pretty?

A. Eating healthy foods, drinking lots of water, and getting her ends trimmed every six to eight weeks are the basic steps in Pinkett Smith's regimen, says hairstylist Carla Gentry Osorio, who primped the star for the Reign over Me premiere in N.Y.C. Once a week, the star massages her scalp with a pre-shampoo deep-conditioning treatment (J.F. Lazartigue moisturizing mask) and leaves it in for 30 minutes. She follows with L'Oreal Nature's Therapy shampoo ($7) and conditioner ($9; 800-275-7255), which are both formulated with glycerin and herbal extracts to give hair a soft, silky texture. After styling, Pinkett Smith prevents frizz and adds shine with John Frieda Frizz-Ease hair serum.

(John Frieda Frizz-Ease hair serum, $10; at drugstores. J.F. Lazartigue moisturizing mask, $51; 800-359-9345. L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Smooth Unfrizz shampoo, $7; 800-275-7255.)

Cutiepie7691 said:
Someone asked in the August issue of Instyle (wonder if it was someone from here :lol: ) about Jada's regimen. This is what they said....

A. Eating healthy foods, drinking lots of water, and getting her ends trimmed every six to eight weeks are the basic steps in Pinkett Smith's regimen, says hairstylist Carla Gentry Osorio, who primped the star for the Reign over Me premiere in N.Y.C. Once a week, the star massages her scalp with a pre-shampoo deep-conditioning treatment (J.F. Lazartigue moisturizing mask) and leaves it in for 30 minutes. She follows with L'Oreal Nature's Therapy shampoo ($7) and conditioner ($9; 800-275-7255), which are both formulated with glycerin and herbal extracts to give hair a soft, silky texture. After styling, Pinkett Smith prevents frizz and adds shine with John Frieda Frizz-Ease hair serum.

(John Frieda Frizz-Ease hair serum, $10; at drugstores. J.F. Lazartigue moisturizing mask, $51; 800-359-9345. L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Smooth Unfrizz shampoo, $7; 800-275-7255.)
Forget her regimen...what's yours?! Your hair is gorgeous!

zora said:
What? No, Carol's Daughter? CD is a bunch of over priced stuff IMO anyway.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read it. I was certain that CD would have been included in there somewhere. But nope, it wasn't.

I was wondering where CD played into her regimen as well :( Either this information is wrong or I see we have another "Proactiv" situation here, where the celebs are not really using the products they are endorsing :pinocchio

MoMo said:
Forget her regimen...what's yours?! Your hair is gorgeous!

Thanks ladies,

I just really got my regimen down. I was jumping all over the place for a second, but I think I've found products that work for me. Simple is definitely better for my hair. I was doing everything everyone was recommending and it just wasn't working for me. Anyways, once a week, I shampoo with Keracare Hydrating Shampoo. I then deep condition for 20 mins. under the hood dryer with Keracare Conditioner for Color-Treated Hair (use to use Humecto, which I didn't like, but this is a keeper). I then rinse, apply Salerm 21 leave-in and rollerset. My hair is texlaxed, and although I can probably get away without using the flatiron, I like my hair better when I do. I have the pink Chi-bling and I use a product I purchased from Regis salon called Thermal Boost Heat Protectant Spray. It has a hold to it and is suppose to create volume. And every other week or so, I use Mizani Kerafuse (protein) mixed with Mizani Moisturefuse. That's about it.

Last edited:
Cutiepie7691 said:

My hair loves glycerin as well.

Cutiepie7691 said:
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read it. I was certain that CD would have been included in there somewhere. But nope, it wasn't.

I have always ???'d celeb's products they claim to use because don't they get paid to degree to say they use a particular product? So, they will say they use the products of whichever company is willing to pay more.

Right? or Am I just an mad black woman who doesn't trust anymore! :lol:

Energist said:
I was wondering where CD played into her regimen as well :( Either this information is wrong or I see we have another "Proactiv" situation here, where the celebs are not really using the products they are endorsing :pinocchio

I'm thinking that the stylist used these particular products for the movie she was in and probably decided to say she uses those things all the time to get her look. I don't know. I just figured people would be interested.

Keclee23[B said:
]I have always ???'d celeb's products they claim to use because don't they get paid to degree to say they use a particular product?[/B] So, they will say they use the products of whichever company is willing to pay more.

Right? or Am I just an mad black woman who doesn't trust anymore! :lol:

Lol. Well, you know they'll swear up and down they aren't getting paid to endorse certain products....but if she was being paid by CD, then Instyle surely slipped up on this one.

I am SO glad I did not give in a buy some of this stuff! Nobody here had really given it a good grade, but with CD being on Oprah and Tyra... And on her website she makes it sound SO good! Then on eBay... People are bidding like crazy on this stuff! Oh well! Glad I caught myself! I still think I'm gonna whip me up so products similar! I made me a hair oil the other day that I need to go talk about in the July Hits thread! Oh! Cutiepie7691, I'm probably gonna order me some KeraCare for Color conditioner! Lovely hair, lady! I'm still using my Humecto b/c I bought a dern tub :ohwell:...

All I know is a while ago I bought all that crap
because she said she attributed her hair growth
to it... ALL OF THE CAROL'S DAUGHTER PRODUCTS
she suggested were WHACK... except for the
Lisa's Hair Elixir... I liked that... but I learned
to make my own and it doesn't cost $20/bottle.
She's part owner of CD isn't she?

And isn't that a wig she wears... the wavy/curly one?
Her hair may be long but it's not that thick/full.
I saw an e-bay listing for a "lace front" and they
were using Jada's Pic.

Cutiepie7691 said:
I'm thinking that the stylist used these particular products for the movie she was in and probably decided to say she uses those things all the time to get her look. I don't know. I just figured people would be interested.

Well, whatever she is doing, Jada's hair is beautiful. Also, Cutiepie7691, you are blinding with the shine in your hair!

Talipoohz_Momma said:
I am SO glad I did not give in a buy some of this stuff! Nobody here had really given it a good grade, but with CD being on Oprah and Tyra... And on her website she makes it sound SO good! Then on eBay... People are bidding like crazy on this stuff! Oh well! Glad I caught myself! I still think I'm gonna whip me up so products similar! I made me a hair oil the other day that I need to go talk about in the July Hits thread! Oh! Cutiepie7691, I'm probably gonna order me some KeraCare for Color conditioner! Lovely hair, lady! I'm still using my Humecto b/c I bought a dern tub :ohwell:...

Yeah. I like it. Now I'm not sure how it acts the closer you get to needing a touch-up. Only time will tell. It worked wonders last week and I was about 2 weeks post. This week, still good, but it didn't feel as good as it did last week. But since you have the Humecto in the tub, I heard that's thicker than the one in the bottle, so I'm not sure if it's comparable or not to the conditioner for color-treated hair. I had the one in the bottle and I didn't care for it.

SouthernTease said:
All I know is a while ago I bought all that crap
because she said she attributed her hair growth
to it... ALL OF THE CAROL'S DAUGHTER PRODUCTS
she suggested were WHACK... except for the
Lisa's Hair Elixir... I liked that... but I learned
to make my own and it doesn't cost $20/bottle.
She's part owner of CD isn't she?

And isn't that a wig she wears... the wavy/curly one?
Her hair may be long but it's not that thick/full.
I saw an e-bay listing for a "lace front" and they
were using Jada's Pic.

Seems like I did see somewhere that she and Mary J. contributed to the company, but I don't know if they are "part owners." And as far as lacefronts, I don't know. I know she has a nice grade of hair (so does her mom....I remember her on Oprah), but these days you never know. I don't even try to figure it out anymore.

*Makes note to pick up some Biosilk next time I am out*. How do you apply it to your hair?? Sorry to get off topic! Forgive me Ladies!

XXXtacy said:
I thought her and will are part owners of Carol's Daughter. :ohwell:

Not all investors believe in the product :eek: ...what they do believe is the product is going to make money for them. :cool:

Personally, I think CD's products are overrated.

ONAMSHN said:
*Makes note to pick up some Biosilk next time I am out*. How do you apply it to your hair?? Sorry to get off topic! Forgive me Ladies!

No prob. I usually put a little in my hands (about a dime or nickle size) right before I unwrap my hair in the morning. Just swirl it around my wrapped hair b/f I take it down. It's light, but if you put too much, your hair may end up a little greasy. That usually doesn't happen to me until the end of the week though, when it's time to wash again anyway. Some people are apprehensive about using it because it contains SD alcohol. But I've personally never had a problem with it. I'm assuming b/c it's used in small amounts. Hope this helps.

zora said:
What? No, Carol's Daughter? CD is a bunch of over priced stuff IMO anyway.

Cutiepie your hair is lovely!

Yea...when I clicked on this thread I was sure I was gonna see a lot of CD products, but actually, having used that mess, I'm wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't use it on a regular basis. Honestly I'd rather put crisco in my head.

chayil0427 said:

Yea...when I clicked on this thread I was sure I was gonna see a lot of CD products, but actually, having used that mess, I'm wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't use it on a regular basis. Honestly I'd rather put crisco in my head.

Thanks Chayil. And Crisco! :lachen: CD has to be some bad stuff if you prefer Crisco! I thought about buying it when I contemplated going natural a few years ago. I'm glad I didn't. I've already wasted too much money on products that didn't work :ohwell: .

chayil0427 said:

I wanted to tell her the same thing...very nice head of hair!

Re CD...LOL...you too huh?!

wow, how is she gonna wear fake hair in an ad for hair products?! isn't that false advertising or something...? I still have faith that it's her real hair and that she uses CD products mostly... :look: :yep:

Back