I've updated my fotki...and I'm not happy!!!

kweenameena

Okay so I updated with some newer pics. There is no major difference between now and when I started my fotki last Dec. I've been on the board for awhile but I'm still doing all of the wrong things.
Setbacks for 2007:
-Dominican Blowout this summer-those are not for fragile hair. I left looking like a poofy mess and I had soo much breakage.:rolleyes:
-I had kinky twists that dried out my hair and caused a ton of shedding. Not a good look:nono:
-Then micro braids. The ***** that did my hair glued on my real hair. She didn't even braid my real hair all the way down. But I didn't realize until it was time to take them out:wallbash:
-When I straightened it....I couldn't stop clipping at my ends because they looked so fuzzy.

If you are out there hair twin...please help a sista out with your regimen.

All advice and comments are welcome. I feel like a newbie again!!!!! I swear I'm gonna get it right for '08!!!

http://public.fotki.com/kweenameena/ no password necessary

Your hair is pretty! Why are you doing all that stuff to it? Leave it alone and let it do it's thing :)

Awwwwww I'm sorry!!! That Dominican Blow Out is Treacherous..... its okay.... u listed your mistakes, realize what they are and you can learn from them. Make 2008 your year and do it right. Beginning right now treat your hair like gold. Take care of it and you should see results at least by Spring.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!! :drunk:

Awwwwww I'm sorry!!! That Dominican Blow Out is Treacherous..... its okay.... u listed your mistakes, realize what they are and you can learn from them. Make 2008 your year and do it right. Beginning right now treat your hair like gold. Take care of it and you should see results at least by Spring.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!! :drunk:

It really wreaked havoc on my hair....even though she gave me a trim.

:yep: ITA. Your hair is pretty. You just need to keep it simple.

Thanks for the compliment. I don't think I'm used to it being natural yet. I think I'lll keep it braided for the year. No micros or kinky twists. The senegalese twists don't seem to be too damaging and that's what I have in right now.

I think you hair is nice. I agree with the other ladies just do the simple things like wash and condition it. I have Fine/medium hair and I can't do alot of things to it like excessive heat, braids etc..

I understand your disappointment. But one thing that I think you should do is just "leave it alone"!! :grin:
Learn to love and appreciate your natural texture. Concentrate on finding good ways to detangle your hair. So you can limit breakage and manage your hair . I found that to be my biggest obstacle when my hair was natural.
Just b/c your hair is natural doesn't mean that you have to put into braids or twists.
You have beautiful hair, rembember there are alot of women trying to grow their perms out so that they can enjoy their natural texture and you are already there!!! Good job!!

I understand your disappointment. But one thing that I think you should do is just "leave it alone"!! :grin:
Learn to love and appreciate your natural texture. Concentrate on finding good ways to detangle your hair. So you can limit breakage and manage your hair . I found that to be my biggest obstacle when my hair was natural.
Just b/c your hair is natural doesn't mean that you have to put into braids or twists.
You have beautiful hair, rembember there are alot of women trying to grow their perms out so that they can enjoy their natural texture and you are already there!!! Good job!!

Thanks...I'm just not happy with the length yet to wear it out. It's too cold here to do wash and gos and I don't know how to make the twists stay in my real hair so I went and got me some senegalese with extensions. I hope it gets longer before July....I want to wear a big fro when my DH steps off the plane from Iraq (his request:rolleyes:)

You story brought back a lot of memories....I had micro braids done in 05 and a few weeks later when I was taking them out thats when i realised that she had used super clue on my hair rather than bonding glue....long story short I just took a scissors and chopped away this on the beginning of my natural transition....In a way she did me a favour but if she had not moved on to another salon would have ripped her head off her shoulders....But I have learned that micro braids dont do anything for grow because i wore them for years and there was no growth what so ever....I think its time to start babying your hair with lo mani hair dos

I hear that!!!!! There is nothing sexier and powerful looking than a
BIG afro on a Sister-Queen!! Good luck to you!!

It was soo much easier for me to maintain and retain my hair when I was relaxed. I went to Target yesterday and all of those relaxers were calling my name and giving me that come hither look.:blush:
If I haven't gotten any real growth by the end of February. I think I might just crossover to the other side! At least I'll be able to tell that it's growing and I can put it in some cute buns!

Kweena, I would suggest that you just find a good stylist. gET A good trim so you can start the new year off on the right foot. And get on your DC game.

ETA: You should be able to bun now. Your hair is longer than mine and I bun. I just add a little piece of hair around my ponytail for the bun.

Okay so I updated with some newer pics. There is no major difference between now and when I started my fotki last Dec. I've been on the board for awhile but I'm still doing all of the wrong things.
Setbacks for 2007:
-Dominican Blowout this summer-those are not for fragile hair. I left looking like a poofy mess and I had soo much breakage.:rolleyes:
-I had kinky twists that dried out my hair and caused a ton of shedding. Not a good look:nono:
-Then micro braids. The ***** that did my hair glued on my real hair. She didn't even braid my real hair all the way down. But I didn't realize until it was time to take them out:wallbash:
-When I straightened it....I couldn't stop clipping at my ends because they looked so fuzzy.

If you are out there hair twin...please help a sista out with your regimen.

All advice and comments are welcome. I feel like a newbie again!!!!! I swear I'm gonna get it right for '08!!!

http://public.fotki.com/kweenameena/ no password necessary

Hey,

I think you should try to find ONE thing that works for you. I guess stop switching hair styles so much because that is putting wear and tear on your hair also making it more fragile.

I think maybe sticking with the wash and sets getting deep conditioning with each visit will show you better results. Maybe get only the roots blown out or flat iron your roots at home yourself after your wash and sets.

I have a friend with very fragile thin hair, on top of that she has severe dandruff/dry scalp. Yet her hair keeps on growing (now past bra) because she has a simple routine of wash and sets every two weeks with deep conditioning she only flat irons once or twice.

Simplicity is key imo with growing healthy hair.

You have beautiful hair, remember there are alot of women trying to grow their perms out so that they can enjoy their natural texture and you are already there!!! Good job!!
Your hair is beautiful- Let it be it!

I feel you wholeheartedly on the unhappy part but in all honesty I think your hair looks good. Find what works for your hair and keep it simple! I'd say find out more about a braid stylist before paying them or letting them touch your hair. I heard so many stories about different kinds of store bought leave-ins and tried some of them to no avail.:nono: They left me moisturized at first... then a coated sticky dry mess. Know what I found out? Mixing glycerin with water (I forget who turned me onto this but THANK YOU!!! YOU ROCK) Girl I sprayed my hair two days ago and it's still retaining mad moisture. It's so soft too. Simplicity is the key I think.

I agree w/ the other ladies kweena...let the fro be:yep:. It's soo cute! I enjoyed seeing the new pics and I'm sure '08 will bring tons of growth for you!

Kweena your hair is very pretty...just let it do its own thing its hair it wants to grow and look good!
I can see you are very dedicated to your hair with all the things you are trying but just take a step back from the hard work and let it grow

Make sure you takes pics of your afro and let us see them!

Uzz

Kweena, I would suggest that you just find a good stylist. gET A good trim so you can start the new year off on the right foot. And get on your DC game.

ETA: You should be able to bun now. Your hair is longer than mine and I bun. I just add a little piece of hair around my ponytail for the bun.

You know of a good stylist that does natural hair. After I take out these twists, I'm scared to go back and get more braids because they like to pull the crap outta my hair and my hair is so fragile. But then again...it grows so much in braids!!!

My hairline is not ready for me to wear buns!:look:

Hey,

I think you should try to find ONE thing that works for you. I guess stop switching hair styles so much because that is putting wear and tear on your hair also making it more fragile.

I think maybe sticking with the wash and sets getting deep conditioning with each visit will show you better results. Maybe get only the roots blown out or flat iron your roots at home yourself after your wash and sets.

I have a friend with very fragile thin hair, on top of that she has severe dandruff/dry scalp. Yet her hair keeps on growing (now past bra) because she has a simple routine of wash and sets every two weeks with deep conditioning she only flat irons once or twice.

Simplicity is key imo with growing healthy hair.

Is she natural? I remember when I was relaxed and I got wet sets every other week...my hair grew really long. I might just start back doing that. The only thing is that they won't last now because I'm natural.

You know of a good stylist that does natural hair. After I take out these twists, I'm scared to go back and get more braids because they like to pull the crap outta my hair and my hair is so fragile. But then again...it grows so much in braids!!!

My hairline is not ready for me to wear buns!:look:

Sorry I can't help you hun. I only go to my stylist for trims and straightening. He's good with that in regards to natural hair but the majority of his clients are relaxed. If I do a natural style I do it myself.

Sorry I can't help you hun. I only go to my stylist for trims and straightening. He's good with that in regards to natural hair but the majority of his clients are relaxed. If I do a natural style I do it myself.
I think I might try the girl name Tanisha that everyone talks about over at NP. She has pretty good reviews so far.:yep:

Does your hair revert back completely after you get it straightened or do you end up with pieces that don't revert back?

before i learned to braid my own hair, i made sure i took the stuff i wanted them to use on it...i didn't trust anyone to put anything after i had a VERY bad experience that cut my hair from the root... i think you've got very pretty hair. You might want to check out www.growafrohairlong.com for some tips and stuff with braids, but the ladies on here got you covered too.

Mixing glycerin with water (I forget who turned me onto this but THANK YOU!!! YOU ROCK) Girl I sprayed my hair two days ago and it's still retaining mad moisture. [/quote]

Question for luvmuhgrass - what are your porportions for the glycerine and water mix?

It reverts completely. I've had it straightened maybe 4 times this year and it's fine.

ETA: Who's Tanisha?

She works at the place called Shapes or something like that! If I were on my home computer I could tell you everything.

She also works out of her home, I believe. It might be spelled Tanesha.

Back