I've started somthin' with My SouthernTease Signature Bun!

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I wanted to shout out SouthernTease! Grrrrl!! I was in a meeting this morning and everyone started gushing over this bun!! They wanted to know how to do it. I told them and they were shocked and pleased to find out how easy it is to do it. I just wanted to thank you so much for sharing your technique with us all. I just LOVE the ease and how classy it turns out each time. A million times thank you!:drunk: I'm on the bootcamp and I'm bunning every single day. I'm doing mostly your bun because it's so easy on the hair- no tugging at all. THANK YOU!

Pics of my bun today are in my siggy. My hair was sprayed with a conditioner/water mix and put into this bun to airdry this morning.

Last edited:
Can you see these? It's so weird... cuz I can see them all. Maybe I have to upload them onto my fotki first.
tn
tn

Aww shoot! Okay... I have to post them later them because I'm at work so I tried to copy and paste them. :sad:

Okay ladies, I'm home so I was able upload onto fotki. I hope these show up... Here's the pics of my SouthernTease bun I did today (I used hairpins instead of chopsticks today)!
SouthernTeasebun1-vi.jpg

SouthernTeasebun2-vi.jpg

That is sooo cute, I Love it, Do You have a informational or something to instruct how this is done, I would Love to do mine?

I keep trying to do this and I never do it right for some reason. It looks so easy too I'm missing something I think lol

Where are you having a problem? Maybe I can help.

At first, my problem was that I was trying to grab all of the side AND bottom hairs to pull up, I found out that I didn't need to do that. Now I Just pull up the side hairs and I still have the bun look. From the side view, it looks kinda like my hair is just bunched up at the bottom of my head. It looks nice that way too, but from the full back view, it looks like a full big ole bun.

Thank You so much for the Link, They make it look so simple, I cannot wait to try, That is so flyy!

Where are you having a problem? Maybe I can help.

At first, my problem was that I was trying to grab all of the side AND bottom hairs to pull up, I found out that I didn't need to do that. Now I Just pull up the side hairs and I still have the bun look. From the side view, it looks kinda like my hair is just bunched up at the bottom of my head. It looks nice that way too, but from the full back view, it looks like a full big ole bun.

Well number one my hair is so thin it doesn't even look right for me to do it really. So I had fake hair and it looks like she just flips it up maybe? And then starts twisting the sides up but mine never looks good.

Well number one my hair is so thin it doesn't even look right for me to do it really. So I had fake hair and it looks like she just flips it up maybe? And then starts twisting the sides up but mine never looks good.
I see where you would be conderned, BUT, if you practiced it, I bet you could do it. You can add hair if you like, but I get you could do it with your own hair too :yep:. When you flip your ends up, you push your hair down a bit. When you do that and pull up the sides, you get a fuller-looking bun. My bun looks thick, but I have a fresh relaxer, it's just looks big. I agree with you that she flips her ends up, but I think she places the sides onto the flipped up ends. When you're done, it looks like you've twisted the sides. I hope I explained that well...:perplexedHTH

Isn't it the easiest, classic bun style!!! I wear my ST bun regularly when my hair is straightened. I cut off too much hair to still do the ST bun with wet hair, but I will be back to that point before the end of 2009 and I will rock my curly ST bun.

That is the single, best thing I've ever seen!!! You best believe I'll be doing the ST bun TOMORROW! :grin: Thanks ST and Hairapy!

Last edited:
Quick question. What are you using to secure the hair? Can you post pics if possible? Ilike the bun..thanks :)

Quick question. What are you using to secure the hair? Can you post pics if possible? Ilike the bun..thanks :)

I used regular-sized hairpins (not bobby pins). I flipped my ends up, then I placed the right side of my hair over the ends and secured with a few hairpins. I repeat this step with the left side. It works better for me using either hair pins or a medium-sized claw clip placed where the ends and both sides meet- the style lasts all day. When I use sticks, I end up having to take it out to redo it sometime during the day- I haven't mastered using the sticks yet. :lol: HTH

Thanks for making this thread HAIRapy and to SouthernTease for a bun technique that works even with my fine/thin strands! :bighug:

I was doing something similar all this time, but I could never get it to look good all the time. Some days my bun looked down right pitiful. After watching SouthernTeases video, I tried it over and over and now I have the hang of it. This is great!

This bun method helps me look good even when I am 11-12 weeks post relaxer and I have 2 different hair textures showing :yep:

HAIRapy... it's super cute!
The keywords are practice and experiment... right?
Some people want things spoon-fed to them, they don't realize that if they just keep trying they could come up with their own way of doing things.
Yay for you using my bun as inspiration and crafting your own take on it.
I luvs that! :yay:

I just have to report back...

I did the SouthernTease last night and you couldn't tell me I wasn't fly!!! :drunk:

We went to dinner with two other couples and I kept getting compliments on my hair. I love how full this bun makes the hair appear. At one point I almost got a little self conscious because one of the girls kept saying "geez your hair must be soooo long". I just smiled and took another bite of my Pad Thai noodles...I was just fine with letting her think I had some FlowerHair under there :yep::lachen:

To answer Faith's question: I secure it with a Flexi-8 clip.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies.
JoyandFaith, what does the Flexi8 clip look like? I was thinking of just using the little claw clips.

Back