I've done the big chop, now I need help

ArrrBeee

I did the BC on Saturday. My hair is now about an inch long all over. I have been doing conditioning washes and following up with Elasta Mango butter, but my hair still seems dry. Any suggestions on a routine and products for moisture? I think that my hair type is 3b/4.

Thanks

I heard adding honey (which is a humectant that attracts moisture) and EVOO oil to your conditioners adds moisture. I plan to do this and also Motions silk protein conditioner which improves moisturization by 300%. A lot of ladies here liked it. I'll let you know if my hair is more moisturized after doing this.Do a search on moisture and see what comes up.

When I big chopped, my hair was not happy till I found Kenra moisturizing conditioner. I conditioner washed daily. I would just play around with different combinations of products each morning till I found the right combo. For me the key was putting the shampoo bottle down and reaching for the conditioner instead. I still shampooed but about once every 2 weeks.

Oils to seal moisture in (like plain olive or coconut oil) after using something moisturizing and water based like EQP Mango Butter, and glycerin sprays have been working for me. :)

These are all great tips. What seems to work for me is:
1. washing my hair with conditioner, using shampoo only on my scalp
2. adding oils to my conditioner
3. sleeping with a satin bonnet on my head every night
4. minimal heat
5. staying away from products that contain drying ingredients such as certain types of alcohol, silicones and harsh detergents

Thanks for the tips. I think that with me having 5 days of experience with natural hair (after 22 years of relaxing) I just have to get comfortable with the process.

I added EVOO and honey to Suave milk and honey conditioner for a CW this morning. I checked out the kinky-curly website and I will order some products.

You ladies are the truth! :)

Congrats on your chop. I'm newly natural too.
My hair does well with:

conditioner washes 2x weekly
shampoo once a month(diluted Dr. Bronners 18in1, V05 Kiwi & lime)
Shea butter, shea butter & coconut oil- just tried shealoe last night (we'll see)
no heat
satin bonnet
My hair doesn't like protein very much, it gets soooo hard & dry

Last edited:
When I was natural, I found that butters (shea, mango, avocado, etc.) did not do much for my hair. No moisturization, even if used on wet hair and air dried. Shea made my hair look dull. Shea OIL worked well though. Honey didn't do much either. You will definitely have to experiment to find what works for you and your hair.

Shea butter and diluted glycerin spray like sta sof fro

Also, creams like Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil, EQP Mango butter mixed with oil can be moisturizing.

Back