It's so hard to say goodbye to the Dominican Salon

Carrie A

I used to love getting a Dominican blowout doobie wrap but I've been taking a break since transitioning. I swung by my local Dominican salon today looking for Lacio Lacio. They showed me Silicon Mix. Anyway when I opened the door I could barely see for all the smoke. Once I got back in my car I scratched my nose and my hand (the one I was holding the leave in bottle with) smelled like burned hair. I just don't think I can subject my hair to that much heat anymore.

i know what you mean. i go to the dominican salon every once in a while and the last time i went a different chick did my hair and she burned my scalp EVERYTIME she tried to get my roots (i only get the roots blown out). later that day when i went to work this guy was standing over me and was like "you need to stop doing whatever it is you are doing because the top of your hair is thining". that ruined my day.

I know what you mean too! I haven't been to the Dominican Salon since early September. I'm trying to cut down on it.

Won't lie they do a wonderful job with the bounce..but at the sake of your hair frying in front of your eyes like the sun came down and said hello.

i used blowouts to get through the first 8 months of my transition...then i felt the itch and went back there 2 or 3 months after my BC and vowed to never go back. all that dag on heat, then they only left the DC in for 8 minutes, THEN they used no heat protectant. my ponytail rollersets come out better than that mess.

I thought I was the only one. I actually got split ends from my hair being blown out with too much heat. I haven't been back since March and have no plans of going back.

i think i went maybe 3 times...i couldnt take the pain :nono: I wonder if they would let you bring your own ceramic blow fryer into their salon and then you can tell them what setting to put it on. Let them go from there...:brainy:

Last edited:
I went Sunday and the burnt smell has just now dissipated from my hair. :nono: I have never had that experience before. At this place the dryer was way hotter than I remember it ever being before. I think from now on when I do go (which is only every few months anyway) I'm going to pass on the blowout part and just get a roller set. If I feel the need, I will just lightly blow out the roots at home.

For me, I can't stand how itchy and dry my hair is afterward. I also hate how thin/fine/feathery they make it. I like my hair to have bounce AND weight to it. I also hate how rough they are when shampooing (especially my edges which are fragile).

I don't think I'm gonna go again either.

I used to love getting a Dominican blowout doobie wrap but I've been taking a break since transitioning. I swung by my local Dominican salon today looking for Lacio Lacio. They showed me Silicon Mix. Anyway when I opened the door I could barely see for all the smoke. Once I got back in my car I scratched my nose and my hand (the one I was holding the leave in bottle with) smelled like burned hair. I just don't think I can subject my hair to that much heat anymore.

that is the exct reason why i want to learn how to rollersert myself...the heat is waaaay to much for my scalp,and the smell is horrible:nono:

The first time I went, my hair was banging but that smell of burnt hair went everywhere I did. And they put relaxer to the tips of my hair in order to get it straight, guess what breakage city. Ugh no mo Doms fo me

i guess im the odd one.. but i only get my roots blown out and my hair never smells burnt.. i agree that too much is not good for you hair but im just sharing my input

I think I will keep going. I went sunday and I loved how the lady got the ends to stick right on the roller for my rollerset. That darn PIBBS was so hot, I am still enjoying the stick straight ends, nicely curved due to my rollers...and I am 8 weeks post.

I will go only for the roller set. I think I will let them do all alter ego next time. The lady who was about to do the blowout said she thought it was healthier for my hair anyway [roller set only] I hope this works out, I want to be bsl all over, not just nearing it in the back.

IMHO they can be good if you let them know what you want.

Back