Its only hair, if it breaks I'll just buy some more!

Lynnerie

This is what one of my 15 year old students said when another girl said that extentions broke her hair off because she left them in too long. She says "so what,its only hair if my hair falls out I'll just buy some more." I love what weaves and extensions do for our hair by helping some women reach their hair goals. But do you think that women especially young girls are becoming dependent on weaves and don't know how to care for their own hair? I see so many young girls with thinned out broken off hair like they're 80 years old but they're 8! Or little girls with heavy braids down to their waist. :nono:

What's your view? Do younger girls depend to heavily on weaves?

I truly think so.. being a young girl myself.. I think to many of us rely to much on weave. I know that once I take my hair out of whatever style I have , I become dumbfounded on what to do with my hair.. so I get another style with weave.

Wow, I never really thought about the younger generation of women not knowing how to care for their hair. Many of them are practically BORN with weave. I always thought many young girls wear weave because they like the style, not because they didn't know how to manage their real hair. :ohwell: Interesting.

Yup, I think there is some truth to that. Our culture is obsessed with celebrities, whom a good majority of our young people look up to. Many of the female celebrities (black and white alike, but especially black) wear hair weaves.

Denim And Leather said:
Yup, I think there is some truth to that. Our culture is obsessed with celebrities, whom a good majority of our young people look up to. Many of the female celebrities (black and white alike, but especially black) wear hair weaves.

I agree. So many people need to learn how to love their own hair.

But, I am guilty of it. As a matter of fact, when I decided not to wear weaves I had a hard time getting used to it. I almost gave up, but this board helped me get through. I can see some women just saying forget it.

yes it saddens me to see little girls ages (1-10) with extentions and weaves in their hair. It's a little girl at my daughter's school that constantly wears them and now everytime I comb my 4 year old daughter's hair, she always says, "Mama I want my hair like Jasmine." I tell her no that her hair is just as beautiful as Jasmine. She doesn't understand that Jasmine's hair isn't real. :ohwell:

I didn't realize weaves and extensions was a popular trend with the younger generation. Most little girls I see have either relaxed or natural hair. I think older and younger generations alike depend on weaves and extensions. I don't see one depending on it greater than the other; seems pretty equal to me.

It's not that they don't know, its just that is what they are used to. I know being young myself. I wore braids (extensions) all through 4-6 grade...For the record, it is not a bad thing. The only thing people fail to do is upkeep it. Keeping a child's hair braided is good for busy moms who have no time to fool with hair every morning, and for moms WHO JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO HAIR...(I know moms like this as well.)

I am thankful for LHCF for helping me, If not for you all I would be wearing a WIG, instead of trying to grow my own hair. Do not get me wrong wigs are good, but I need to care for my own hair also.

cluelessaka said:
This is what one of my 15 year old students said when another girl said that extentions broke her hair off because she left them in too long. She says "so what,its only hair if my hair falls out I'll just buy some more." I love what weaves and extensions do for our hair by helping some women reach their hair goals. But do you think that women especially young girls are becoming dependent on weaves and don't know how to care for their own hair? I see so many young girls with thinned out broken off hair like they're 80 years old but they're 8! Or little girls with heavy braids down to their waist. :nono:

What's your view? Do younger girls depend to heavily on weaves?

To be honest, I used to be like that. Even though I was at the salon every week and had countless cuts and treatments to get rid of damage from high school up until a few years ago it was like my hair would not thrive. I would chop it all of and start over. For it to grow back to neck/barely grazing shoulder length and then I'd have a set back and have to start over. I got to the point where I felt like no matter what I did, it wasn't going to grow so I figured what the hell I might as well do what I want to my hair anyway. Meaning, weave it, braid it and whatever else. I could always buy some more hair. :look: Let's just say I'm glad I got out of that state of mind. :lol:

i think most females do in general

nearly every black female i see regardless of age is wearing a weave or wig and then when you do see them without it you can see bald spots and broken off hair. i think most of us are trained to believe we need fake hair because our hair doesn't grow.

i remember when i was in HS and had hair problems i was encouraged to get hair pieces since i had "bad hair" that "wouldn't grow". no one thought to assess why i was having hair problems

It's so sad, but I believe that the words weave, wigs and fake hair are synonymous with black females. We're trained from the womb that those of us with textured hair MUST manipulate it to acheive beauty. It must be twisted or braided tightly months after birth to feign some semblance of straightness. :lol: I do believe we have a coded "no nap" policy within our culture. Of course, when Africa sings from within your natural locks, you are then taken into the HEAT manipulation stage, PRESSING or Flat Ironing. By age 8 you're up for consideration for a relaxer. By teens, you've graduated up to adult relaxers, now being seduced by racks of Korean, European and Indian hair of all lengths, textures and colors. Beckoning you to buy and try them as an alternative to your short abused tresses.

Soon, you're hooked! You're a wanton weaving woman! By now, you're a Pro at bargaining with Quan-Lee over the price of his Remi. You know exactly when the next shipment of his 18inch, wavy with burgundy color tips will be in. You discover that you no longer have to struggle with your own locks to make them acceptable to you. You now relax only to blend into the wig, weave or purchased hair of your choice. You cornrow your natural hair to hide it, not to guard it from the elements, but to have it serve only as an anchor for you to lock glue or sew to it. You no longer regard your own hair as even anything to present. Most likely it isn't, thanks to your neglect and disregard. Your hair has now become only an anchor for the more pleasing and presentable euro/korean/indian hair. :(

Yes, I beweave that if the hair breaks that many young black girls will simply buy some to replace it. Their mothers are most likely as bald as they are, so they'll be good Guides in the country of Fauxhairland.:lol: I do know that there are women who must wear faux-hair due to permanent hair loss.

I was at the mall and road up the elevator with two of the most adorable four year old twin girls. As I chatted with their mother about the sales, I looked down at the girls, they had braided extensions. OMG! They were four and had someone elses hair woven into theirs. Noooo! Not that soon! Of course I said nothing, but extensions at four? Come on!

No, I've never really resided in the country of Fauxhairland and I have nothing against those that do. Personally, I'm just cheap like that! I just hope that those that do reside in Fauxhairland are as informed as LHCF members about the caring of their own tresses underneath. JMO

Here's to meeting more "cousins of Niko" that can take down a bun and you go WOW at the length of their home-grown hair! No rows, no thread, no glue, no tracks! Tell Mr. Lee to keep it on the racks! You're already covered! :lol:

bmoreflyygirl said:
To be honest, I used to be like that. Even though I was at the salon every week and had countless cuts and treatments to get rid of damage from high school up until a few years ago it was like my hair would not thrive. I would chop it all of and start over. For it to grow back to neck/barely grazing shoulder length and then I'd have a set back and have to start over. I got to the point where I felt like no matter what I did, it wasn't going to grow so I figured what the hell I might as well do what I want to my hair anyway. Meaning, weave it, braid it and whatever else. I could always buy some more hair. :look: Let's just say I'm glad I got out of that state of mind. :lol:
BTW - I think your natural hair looks beautiful. :)

A high school girl I work with in a dept store told me it was cheaper to pay 300.00 for braids and wear them for six months than pay some one to do her hair every week WTF.

I think too many women are dependent on weave in general. I was out the other day and was around about 10 other black women & I was the only one not wearing a weave who wasn't rocking a super short cut.

I think so...

When I lived in DC I would see elementary school girls with individual plaits (in colors like pink, yellow, green, purple, orange and MORE) down past their bottoms.

They had that Essence editor hairline thang going on and you could tell it was very heavy, just by the way they moved their heads.

:ohwell:

I don't understand how a child can walk around with 15 packs of Kanekelon on their heads with their parents approval.

definitely! because u used to think the same way, about the breakin hair and just buyin more. but i didnt want to be feelin a handful of tracks for the rest of my life. i want a head full of flowin hair all mine that myself and my bf can enjoy cuz i lovvve head rubs :D

I think that some women are dependent on weaves an extensions regardless of age. But I do agree that when younger girls start out wearing weaves and extensions, it takes them a longer time to let them go because they've never experience their own real hair.

Back