IT'S OFFICIAL (LAP)

Faith

I'm going back to natural. I have been thinking about it off and on since I relaxed it August 2004. But seriously considering it since October. Well, I decided Saturday to go for it.

I had some preconceived ideas of what relaxed hair would do and how I would wear it and it's not what I'm experiencing/what I thought at all. I thought I would wear my hair out all the time and relaxed hair would be easier to comb/deal with. SO NOT TRUE! I'm finding my natural hair was stronger and it was EASIER to comb. Imagine that...EASIER TO COMB...lol. And I had LESS tangles natural. The tangles now have thinned my hair...its obvious in pics. Also my 4a hair is thriving (and thrives in any circumstance) BUT my 4b part is having problems growing and splits a lot now...which wasn't the case when it was all natural.
I have come to the conclusion *my* 4b hair is not doing well relaxed/texturized. At all. My sister has that issue too. Hm!
Also I hardly had split ends when I was natural. I could trim 2x a year and my hair was great. And hardly any breakage. I miss all that.

Anywho, so I have decided I'm going to consider myself ALMOST NATURAL (cause I'm not there yet...almost). Instead of transitioning..lol. Almost can mean anything..lol.
Almost natural cause I have about 2" of natural hair and 7" of texturized hair and another 8" relaxed (this is all the textures on ONE strand...lol). The term transitioning doesn't seem to have an END for *me* and when I hear it I think "well when is it done? When is it over?" It seems never ending so I have come up with almost natural. Just so I have that "natural" goal in my head. Makes it easier....lol. So I start by slowing chopping off 1" every 3 months instead of relaxing every 3 months (1st one is Dec 30th). And this way I maintain the length and gain thickness.

I'm not going to lie..I will blowdry every 2 weeks on LOW heat. I will do this when I become fully natural as well. I figured out why I gave up on my natural hair. It's the kind of hair that takes the shape it's in and in order to change the shape/style again you HAVE TO WET IT. So I got frustrated. But if I blow dry it gently I have more flexibility. I noticed my relaxed hair is like that too.

So the plan is trim every 3 months. Wash/blowdry every 2 weeks. And take it from there. Already with my afro roots my hair is THICKER on the bottom and stronger.

So I'm back naturals... <vbg>

Shhh..I just can't tell my mother (she's natural). I think she thinks if I'm natural I won't get a man..lolol. Not sure..lol. At least my sister can be my almost natural partner (she's going back to natural hair too).

Last edited:
you'll be fine, just do what you feel is best for you. The right one will accept you no matter how you style your hair . :)

*Dee* said:
you'll be fine, just do what you feel is best for you. The right one will accept you no matter how you style your hair . :)

Amen! Congrats on your decision...I'll definitely have my eye on your progress since I'd like to go down the same path soon...

Good luck!

Congraulations! I like the idea of "Almost Natural"!

I'll definitely be following your progress since my final relaxer was on Oct.7, 2 days before yours!

So the plan is trim every 3 months. Wash/blowdry every 2 weeks. And take it from there. Already with my afro roots my hair is THICKER on the bottom and stronger.

So I'm back naturals... <vbg>

Shhh..I just can't tell my mother (she's natural). I think she thinks if I'm natural I won't get a man..lolol. Not sure..lol. At least my sister can be my almost natural partner (she's going back to natural hair too).

this will work out great for you...i did it the same way..and didnt do the big chop..natural hair so in right now...people will be lookin.

Congrats on the decision! As you very well know, I am on the fence right now, just trying to get all the information (and courage) as I possibly can, cause information (and courage) is POWER! Seriously though, I think if I am armed with enough information on the things I need to do to handle/maintain the textures, I will do fine...

Thanks Ladies. I know it wont be easy but I'll take it one wash day at a time.

Now I just need to know what products 4a/bs...4bs are using for moisture. I know I saw something about Asha products, CD and now some 4a/b creme? Hm!

Back