It's better straight after a certain length?

tthreat08

I just thought I'd throw this out to you ladies. I've noticed something with my own hair and wondered if anyone else feels this way. For a loooooooong time (even before I was even trying) I've worn a bun for convenience and then to help retain growth. My hair has grown very nicely this way. However, for the past month and half or so, I've worn my hair out (straight) with one week of bun wear in between. I moisturize the ends daily, but I've only worn the bun for one week during the past 1.5 months. It SEEMS to me that my hair seems to be thriving EVEN more since I've done this. I am thinking (that FOR ME) it seems after a certain length, my hair is actually more manageable and thrives more if I wear it straight as opposed to the conditioner washed bun. I would CO wash every other day minimum. I've always known that it's possible to reach great lengths without protective styles (as evident with the many examples here on this board). However, I thought that without them, it would take longer to reach growth goals. I think different maybe....

Anyone else feel this way?

well not the straight thing... :look: but i don't feel my growth has been hindered by not wearing protective styles, if that's what you mean. i almost always wear my hair "out" and i've still been able to retain most of my length.

Yeah, for me, whenever I wear wash and go styles with the ends exposed, I get those little single strand knots. The only way I can avoid them with my hair in it's natural state is to wear a braid out. So, that's why I said straight. Your hair is beautiful!

Well I hope your correct because my husband told me yesterday that he's tired of this bun and that means it's time for me to make a change.

LOL!

Well I hope your correct because my husband told me yesterday that he's tired of this bun and that means it's time for me to make a change.

LOL!

LOL! I know what you mean. I believe you can do it as long as you treat your hair with respect and conitinue to provide it with whatever it needs (moisture, protein, etc.)

Yeah, for me, whenever I wear wash and go styles with the ends exposed, I get those little single strand knots. The only way I can avoid them with my hair in it's natural state is to wear a braid out. So, that's why I said straight. Your hair is beautiful!

sorry i guess i didn't edit quickly enough... :blush:

yes, single-strand knots are the bane of my existance :lachen: but you see i haven't learned anything cuz i still wear my hair out... :drunk: thanks for the compliment though! :grin:

LOL!

tell him you're tired of his hair style and see what happens... i say don't change yours until he changes his :look:

(okay for real, don't do it if it's gonna cause marital discord though :lachen: )

When I was SL, I wore protective styles 95% of the time because I felt they were a necessity for me to get to APL, mainly because I was concerned about my hair breaking on my shoulders or collars. But now that I am passing BSL, I would like to "enjoy" my hair more.

So this summer, I plan to take a break from the bun; at least, not wear it so often...this will make DH happy. I think I can do this and still maintain its health. As you mentioned, there are ladies on this board with beautiful hair that don't do protective styles. Also, I love the compliments that I get when I wear my hair down. :look:

Same here, which is why I was trying to find a product to protect my hair while straight and keep my hair from reverting (I'm natural and past brastrap length pulled...on my way to mid back which is my goal). Lala told me about moisture block, so I'm using that today. I find the straight thing to be true with me also.

Same here, which is why I was trying to find a product to protect my hair while straight and keep my hair from reverting (I'm natural and past brastrap length pulled...on my way to mid back which is my goal). Lala told me about moisture block, so I'm using that today. I find the straight thing to be true with me also.

Yeah, I think the key to whether or not it's effective is dependent upon HOW you get your hair straight and the care you take to do it.

When I was SL, I wore protective styles 95% of the time because I felt they were a necessity for me to get to APL, mainly because I was concerned about my hair breaking on my shoulders or collars. But now that I am passing BSL, I would like to "enjoy" my hair more.

So this summer, I plan to take a break from the bun; at least, not wear it so often...this will make DH happy. I think I can do this and still maintain its health. As you mentioned, there are ladies on this board with beautiful hair that don't do protective styles. Also, I love the compliments that I get when I wear my hair down. :look:

ITA. I think after APL when you are past that hair rubbing on your shoulders phase, it is safer to wear it down.

Yes I see what you're saying. Even before joining the board I never ever wore my hair out. I always put it up, in a clip, curls something because it just didn't look right just out straight. Maybe it was because I never had it cut in any style.

It would stick out in the back when I wore it out straight and I hated that. I'm sure you guys probably know what I'm talking about (I hope so). I thought if my hair was a lot longer and maybe thicker as well that it wouldn't stick out. I haven't worn it just out in a long time so maybe when I get to BSL I will try it and see if it still sticks out.

Yes I see what you're saying. Even before joining the board I never ever wore my hair out. I always put it up, in a clip, curls something because it just didn't look right just out straight. Maybe it was because I never had it cut in any style.

It would stick out in the back when I wore it out straight and I hated that. I'm sure you guys probably know what I'm talking about (I hope so). I thought if my hair was a lot longer and maybe thicker as well that it wouldn't stick out. I haven't worn it just out in a long time so maybe when I get to BSL I will try it and see if it still sticks out.

Did it stick out as in it was stiff??

I experience the knots also as a natural. I would love to consider straightening more often to offset this. What method are you using to straighten?

I don't have a response really but the OP, you and your hair are very pretty. You look like a friend of mine. Anywho keep doing what you are doing because your hair looks great!

I experience the knots also as a natural. I would love to consider straightening more often to offset this. What method are you using to straighten?

Those dang knots!

Well, I either roller set and then flat iron the roots, OR, I blow dry with a leave-in on low setting with tension. I just started doing the latter. I pull my hair while I run the blow dryer across the length. I don't focus on the ends. At the end I hit the ends briefly on a cool setting. My hair comes out really shiney and soft. Then I flat iron. This has worked for me thus far.

I understand what you are saying OP. When your hair is shorter its not only good to wear it up for protection but its almost easier to do so because you have less hair and hair doesn't really stay in place as well when you wear shorter hair down unless its cut into a style, which it probably isn't if you are growing it out. This is why its really not a big deal for me to do protective styles 90% of the time.

When the hair gets longer imo it seems easier and more manageable to just wear it down alot more of the time. Once it gets past APL the hair is heavier and longer and its somewhat harder to pin it up/bun it because its so much more hair to work with. You no longer have to worry so much about the ends rubbing against clothes, and the hair kinda falls into place because you have more of it. Just make sure your ends stay well moisturized and don't use alot of heat and you should be good.

I'm inbetween shoulder and APL, but once I get about an inch past APL I will probably slow down on the protective styles/every other day cowashing as well.

I understand what you are saying OP. When your hair is shorter its not only good to wear it up for protection but its almost easier to do so because you have less hair and hair doesn't really stay in place as well when you wear shorter hair down unless its cut into a style, which it probably isn't if you are growing it out. This is why its really not a big deal for me to do protective styles 90% of the time.

When the hair gets longer imo it seems easier and more manageable to just wear it down alot more of the time. Once it gets past APL the hair is heavier and longer and its somewhat harder to pin it up/bun it because its so much more hair to work with. You no longer have to worry so much about the ends rubbing against clothes, and the hair kinda falls into place because you have more of it. Just make sure your ends stay well moisturized and don't use alot of heat and you should be good.

I'm inbetween shoulder and APL, but once I get about an inch past APL I will probably slow down on the protective styles/every other day cowashing as well.

I agree with this too.

really??? i woulda thought it would be easier to put longer hair up in a quick ponytail or bun that shorter hair cuz shorter hair needs pins, clips etc. to keep it up and in place. but what do i know, this is the first time my hair has been past APL and i mostly wear it shrunken so it just barely touches my shoulders. :drunk:

i am intrigued by this thread, i feel like i learn something new every day on this site (STILL)

Well...my girl's hair is APL and she wears it down all the time. It's very healthy-looking. I think it's because she doesn't heat-style.

But I like this thread.
I was saying to myself beforehand, "What's the point of having long hair if you're just gonna bun it up all the time...Just cut your losses and get as sew-in or lacefront!"

Cause...I mean yeah--'we' have to do certain things to our hair to combat dryness and/or breakage, but c'mon--black folks hair ain't THAT fragile.
And if it were, all the effort it took to grow it wouldn't even be worth it in the end, imo...

Hmmm, great thread!

I know that I've read that the longer your hair grows, the stronger it becomes (given that you are performing healthy hair practices).
Perhaps this is why you see better retention with your straightened hair once it reaches beyond APL/BSL as oppose to CL or SL.

Last edited:
Im just taking a stab in the dark but maybe you just see more length because its straight? IMO i want longer hair to do alot of buns and updos.These got easier as my hair got longer from my own experience. personally I dont like my hair out and i dont find it a waste of time/money because Id rather have the real thing. someone elses hair sewn/glued/clipped into my head dosent have than same satisfaction as my own hair no matter how well it blends. plus i dont like having my hair straight that often also i havent seen many(maybe 5 or so) who could get away with frequent straightening and retain length and curl pattern. unless the latter dosent matter to you I think you can go for it.

I just thought I'd throw this out to you ladies. I've noticed something with my own hair and wondered if anyone else feels this way. For a loooooooong time (even before I was even trying) I've worn a bun for convenience and then to help retain growth. My hair has grown very nicely this way. However, for the past month and half or so, I've worn my hair out (straight) with one week of bun wear in between. I moisturize the ends daily, but I've only worn the bun for one week during the past 1.5 months. It SEEMS to me that my hair seems to be thriving EVEN more since I've done this. I am thinking (that FOR ME) it seems after a certain length, my hair is actually more manageable and thrives more if I wear it straight as opposed to the conditioner washed bun. I would CO wash every other day minimum. I've always known that it's possible to reach great lengths without protective styles (as evident with the many examples here on this board). However, I thought that without them, it would take longer to reach growth goals. I think different maybe....

Anyone else feel this way?

I can sooooo relate on this one.I haved been co-wash bunning daily since starting my journey.After I hit bsl,straightening is sooo much easier for me.I was worried that I might be using too much heat but my hair is thriving...besides that I have all of the proper tools and products now so it makes straightening a breeze.I never thought I would be able to conquer straightening my own natural hair at own let alone retaining length but its working.

Back