Its been way tooo long!! Gym goers please advise

itsdiddy

Its been forever and a day since I've been on LHCF!!!! I miss it and all the wonderful hair (and life) advice that everyone has. I've had a major set back on my hair and it went from being APL to now at shoulder length... So I guess really not THAT major but I'm a baby so Imma call it major. I self relaxed on Sunday and while there are a few underprocessed in the jungle I call my crown, it came out pretty good. So I decided to take my hair, its length and health into my own hands and I'm not going to a salon NO MORE!!!

BUT while I've had my LHCF hiatus I've gained 15 pounds. And I'm determined to lose it and maybe 5 more before my bday (in May) so I'm wondering, gym goers, how do you deal with your hair before during and after the gym? Anybody go in the am and deal with it before work??PLEASE HELP. Lord knows I don't need another excuse to not go to the gym:wallbash:

Girl, I def feel you on this one. I always used my hair as an excuse not to work out, but 20 lbs later, I am depressed. I have just recently started working out more consistently. I used to go to the salon every two weeks, but i recently stopped so that could no longer be my crutch as to why I dont work these pounds off. Right now, I do twist-outs and buns. Wearing my hair out and working out is not an option, because I am ten months post, and I sweat soo bad in my roots.

Bumping for answers cause I want to know too!

Good luck with you weight loss! I want to lose 20lbs too. Side note, I am a May baby too! lol

I can't help you because my hair is natural. However, can you bun or pull it up
and exercise during the week and wear it down on the week-ends(no workout)?

Yay to the May babies! and to the question about my calorie intake - I went through and am going through some family tragedies and I am an emoitional eater (hence the 15lbs) but I've gotten a lot better emotionally and my eating is not the same. I've already lost 4 by not doing anything but still... gotta work it out and keep it tight.

I think buns and ponys are my best bet but I wanted to hear what other people r doing

bump bump bump

I usually work out after work and school, this way I have a chance to moisturize, seal and allow my hair time to set before the next day. I sweat in my head a lot so working out in the morning is not an option for me. After each work out I spray my hair lightly with a leave-in conditioner and seal with castor oil, I lay my edges down with pomade and tie it up...in the morning my hair is soft and well conditioned. HTH

I remember seeing a newscast about black women's hair and going to the gym. They were saying that a lot of the relaxed ladies were wearing straw sets when working out and that it worked out well.

I am natural, but don't wash each time I workout, though I do sometimes. If my hair is straight, I keep it in a high pony with a cloth bandana around my edges.

Good luck losing your 15 lbs!

I usually work out after work and school, this way I have a chance to moisturize, seal and allow my hair time to set before the next day. I sweat in my head a lot so working out in the morning is not an option for me. After each work out I spray my hair lightly with a leave-in conditioner and seal with castor oil, I lay my edges down with pomade and tie it up...in the morning my hair is soft and well conditioned. HTH

So do you wear a pony tail usually? I sweat in my head alot too. And how often do u wash ur hair?? thanks for the help

im natural- but when i straighten, I wear plaits for a braid outs. It stretches my roots out which usually are thwe first to revert. I workout in the evenings as well so I can wear the plaits to bed and do a braidout in the a.m.

i hope this helps.

im transitioning and wear my hair straight. I just put my hair up loosely (make sure no hair is touching your neck or skin) and tie a scarf around the perimeter (NOT the entire head) and work out. I work out 5 days a week and never have a problem with reversion this way.

hth

So do you wear a pony tail usually? I sweat in my head alot too. And how often do u wash ur hair?? thanks for the help

I usually twist my hair on top of my head securing it with a hair pin (NOT BOBBI PIN). I only wash my hair once a week. I let my hair dry before I apply my leave-in and oil. HTH

I empathize with you right now because I am going through the same thing. I have recently started working out 4 days a week. I go before and after work. I have natural hair, but I do wear it straight sometimes. When my hair is curly I just go for the gusto work out and it is never really a problem. When I wear my hair straight, I am still working on the perfect method. This last time I wore my hair straight I decided to work out, I would still have to wear my hair close to my head. I did a satin scarf and had the hair in the ponytail. However, I did not count on my ponytail being so long that the sweat from my neck and back would make the ends revert. My next attempt with straight hair will be a bun or pinned up hair with the scarf. Let me know if you find something that works...I might have to do the same.

:hiya2:
Had a similar setback in December last year but I'm finally over it now and my hair's really grown :yep:

I go to the gym 5-6 mornings a week. I'm currently transitioning so my hair's either in my braids (no extensions), see siggy (which I can cowash easily or on days I don't cowash, I allow my hair dry before spraying with moisturising spritz and sealing) or in my curly styles, which I'll have to cowash after working out and put in flat twists or cornrows, and accessorise with a headband or scarf, I take them out once my hair's dry (mostly midday @ work) for my curly look.

Earlier stages of my transition, I used to pin up my damp hair (leavein applied and detangled) and hold back with a headband or scarf.

HTH!

Back