itchy scalp with no dandruff means...???

Sherbetcane

Lately my scalp itches soo bad i totally have to use a brush to scratch my scalp every morning during co washing. and it doesnt even help. i have no dandruff so i dont know what could be the cause. i am newly natural. Anyone having the same problem and how did u treat it??

I am still new to the thread and I got the idea of cowashing my hair from here a month or so back. I understand that you all cowash and leave the conditioner product in your hair. Your scalp's pores may be clogged with the cowash.

I cowash a little differently- So basically I use the conditioner like this:

Put the conditioner in my hair for 50-11 hours (I learned 50-11 from the dumb questions topic:grin:) (I make my own conditioner with certain oils and moisturizers)

Rinse the conditioner out really well out of my hair.

I would usually get an itchy sensation (gross, I know:perplexed), if I did not wash the conditioner out well enough.

I then sit under the dryer (low heat) and presto. I have very short hair (mid ear length- MEL :rolleyes:) So I flat iron once a week to make sure I don't look like a new cast member of Color Purple.

Last edited:
Hey there - if your scalp isn't flaking or showing any signs of irritation, it may just be growth! My sister says after using her oil mix she has an itch-fest a couple days later. Have you started using anything topically to stimulate your scalp? This sensation could just be your follicles showing you they're active.

Is the cowashing helping your moisturising issues now BTW?

Last edited:
I was always told if your scalp is itching like crazy it meant hair growth. Rapid Hair Growth.

so what does 50-11 mean..?then probably i have to cut down on co washing or maybe i just dont wash out the conditioner well enough? am sure i do..or.

i started using green oshba oil. i know probably no one heard of this oil. i only use this mixed with olive oil for hot oil treatment, its a once a week thing. wassup pookiwah... your glycerine and aloe vera thing worked wonders on my dry hair. thanks again.

You're welcome, glad to be of assistance. So what's in your green oshba oil then?

i never thought it could be the oshba oil. My roomate just suggested it helps in hair growth, shes arab and has long silky hair. i just thought to give it a try. I used it instead of castor oil to seal in moisture after the glycrine and aloe vera mix and it wasnt working great the way castor oil did. So i just mix it with olive oil and go under a steamer. i started this abt 2weeks ago. if it is stimulating my scalp and growing my hair then i guess its good news. but i just cant stand the itching!! geez

You may need to clarify - you might have build up on your scalp. Or you might have some sort of scalp infection/bacteria/fungus, etc. Try using tea tree oil or clarify with baking soda. I have itching at my crown and henna helps stop that for me.

I personally don't buy that whole growth = itching.

Hey there - if your scalp isn't flaking or showing any signs of irritation, it may just be growth! My sister says after using her oil mix she has an itch-fest a couple days later. Have you started using anything topically to stimulate your scalp? This sensation could just be your follicles showing you they're active.

Is the cowashing helping your moisturising issues now BTW?

I'm glad you posted this Pookiwah because I thought it was just me. My scalp gets itchy when my hair is growing too. :yep:

My scalp is itchy only after wash days (twice a week) - thats why i think Co-washing is the culprit. I, too, DO NOT believe itch means growth....

Well I know that I'm not allergic to any of my products, very rarely have build up on my scalp, and I do go through periods where my scalp tingles rather than itches, quite often. I do attribute it to my hair growing - may not be the case for everyone. Allergies can be serious though, so I would say check it out by switching products and analysing the effect if you suspect that. Each to their own.

It sounds like you're allergic to one of your products.

I was just going to suggest the same thing about an allergic reaction. I get the same itch sometimes with no dandruff and it's usually after I used a new product. I'm trying to pinpoint the ingredients in certain products. So far I'm learning to look out for parabens in the list.

thanks guys!! i have had no issues with the conditioner or shampoo... i think i am just gonna stop using the oshba oil. maybe it will solve my problem.

I was going to say some of the things suggested:
  • an allergic reaction (something you ate or products you used)
  • product residue (not rinsing conditioner off properly)
  • dry skin (need to drink more water and consume products with essential fatty acids (like oily fish) or take EFA supplements)
  • some skin condition that needs your attention (see a dermatologist)

I never think of itching scalp as a sign of new growth. :nono: Never seen any scientific evidence of that being a fact, but rather it's more associated with hair loss so I take it seriously.

I never think of itching scalp as a sign of new growth. :nono: Never seen any scientific evidence of that being the fact, but rather it's more associated with hair loss so I take it seriously

are you trying to scare me.........:perplexed.

Am not loosing any hair though..

i started using green oshba oil. i know probably no one heard of this oil. i only use this mixed with olive oil for hot oil treatment, its a once a week thing. wassup pookiwah... your glycerine and aloe vera thing worked wonders on my dry hair. thanks again.

What is green oshba oil?

What I mean is - What's in it and where do you get it? (PJ in me strikes again)

Last edited:
I never think of itching scalp as a sign of new growth. :nono: Never seen any scientific evidence of that being the fact, but rather it's more associated with hair loss so I take it seriously

are you trying to scare me.........:perplexed.

Am not loosing any hair though..

Not at all. I am telling you the truth. Itchy scalp to me means it's time to massage like crazy to ensure good circulation and that follicles are being nourished. I have experienced hair loss when my scalp was itching on the very spot that was itching. And if you don't believe me, do a Google search for itchy scalp and see what you find. I'm just telling you what is out there per trichologists. Not saying that's what's going on with you. I actually listed several things that could be responsible for an itchy scalp. Hair loss is just one of the things an itchy scalp could be warning you about; not the only one.

This thread was right on time because I have had itching in three different spots on my head for the past few weeks. My head has itched so much it is sore in the itchy spots. I haven't had any breakage or hair loss in those spots.

I assumed it was itchy because of dryness even though my hair and scalp had been moisturized. So this week I decided that after washing and moisturizing my hair and scalp with homemade shealoe butter with coconut and castor oil mixed in I baggied my whole head. Lawd it was hot and my head sweated all nite even though I was sleeping directly under the ceiling fan that's over my bed....:lachen:

I haven't had any itching today. So I guess my scalp was dry and needed some extreme moisturizing.

Could be hair growth causing those itches. Could also be something in your products that's irritating your scalp.

oshba is a green plant with grows in desert areas like the middle east. this product was made in saudi arabia and was quite expensive compared to other oils.

When I experienced really bad itches it was one of three things.

1. Dry scalp. I started drinking loads of water, taking fish oil supplements, and misting my scalp with a rosewater/glycerin mix. It took a few weeks but it helped ALOT.

2. Allergens. Certain things make me itch like I have fleas. As much as I love CON it makes me itch. WEN (Almond Mint) and Paul Mitchell Lavender Mint have been so awesome for my scalp. I can use something once and it's ok, I use it again and I itch... these two shampoos have been consistently soothing to my scalp. :yep:

3. Crazy growth. This is different for me because it tingles a bit as opposed to itch. It's a different feeling. (I'm hyper sensitive)

Back