Itchy Scalp after the Conditioner Wash

Xcellence2

Okay Conditioner wash pros! I gave it a try last night and all day my scalp has been driving me nuts. Here is what I did ..........I massaged the conditioner (Vo5 smoothing i forgot who raved about it) and rinsed it out after the scalp massage with distilled water (I used 1/2 of a gallon so I am pretty sure I got it all out). Applied my leave in and frizz control. Used Olive oil to oil my scalp and pinned it up in a bun. What did I do wrong? I feel like I have ants in my head.

If anyone has the KEY ;-), please PM me or post ASAP. Thanks!

I think it's a reaction to the conditioner. I used the same VO5 strawberries and cream smoothing conditioner and had very tender,itchy scalp all day. I did another conditioner wash the next day with a different conditioner and it felt much better. I actually used a little shampoo on my scalp first by parting it section by section and massaging it in. i did not let the shampoo really touch my ends. i did this because i wanted remove all of the VO5 conditiner. then i used conditioner on my hair.

I've found that conditioners that smell really loud and fruity are bad for me. i think my scalp is extra sensitive to products with lots of fragrance or certain kinds of fragrances. That may be your problem. I can't use Herbal Essence products either because of the fragrances in it.

thanks a bunch keylargo. I think you might be right. Do you know of any relatively inexpensive conditioners that do not have the same effect? What about Aussie Moist? I am trying to do conditioner washes at least once a week to see if it agrees with my hair. I have to take the bar at the end of this month and there is no way in he** i could concentrate on my exam when I dying to scratch my scalp with a rake.

i completely understand. aussie moist didn't do much for me. i'm a pj so you know i've tried it.... i like the suave conditioners like the tropical coconut conditioner. it smells yummy but doesn't irritate my scalp. the suave professionals biobasics (biolage knock-off) is nice. also, the tresemme hydrology intense moisture conditioner is good too. they are all inexpensive.
my focus has been on moisturizing conditioners so that's what i usually look for. i conditioner wash daily and haven't had any buildup yet. it's been almost two months now and i can't imagine using shampoo regularly again.

I'm not sure. I have no problem with using any natural oils. It's not just an itch that I get from certain products- it's more like an irritated feeling that's really uncomfortably itchy. I guess it's close to an allergic reaction. I have to wash it out or my scalp starts to feel a little tender. If you're having that problem then I would avoid using whatever is causing it.

I have been using the olive oil for awhile so I am positive that is not it. I am also a PJ so maybe I will give the ones you listed a try. Key largo you said u wash everyday how do you wear your hair.

Part of my hair is in a weave. I condition wash the front and sides daily. I have a sewn in weave in the back. I redo it myself weekly. my stylist was doing it for me but as you know, she's fired. plus, i think i do a better job. this style works well for me because i can just slick the front and top of my hair back with gel and it blends in with the weave. the more i condition wash, the softer my hair is and the easier it is for me to blend in. so the weave is my protective style for the moment.

I have been suffering from an itchy scalp as well. I used the VO5 conditioner too. I rubbed it into my scalp when I was conditioning it. After hearing everyone's comments, this might have been my error.

When I first started doing conditioner washes the VO5 free me freesia scent made my scalp itch like crazy. Before I gave up I switched the conditioner with Suave coconut and I haven't had a problem since. I had also recently stop using conditioner on my scalp. I 've been massaging my scalp with aloe vera gel and a couple of drops of tea tree oil and condioning the rest of my hair. Haven't had a problem yet.

Same thing happened to me.
frown.gif
I even rinsed longer the next time thinking maybe I hadn't rinsed well. Still itched.
smile.gif
Now I just use Aubrey's poos which reminds me of a cond. wash.

[ QUOTE ]
never rub the conditioner into your scalp, concentrate on the hair itself during conditioning washes

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm curious... if you dno't rub your scalp, how do you get it clean during a conditioner wash?

I use the VO5 conditioner for washing my hair, however I use the Kiwi & Lime clarifying conditioner. Also, you would want to concentrate your scalp massage on areas prone to buildup. I would meticulously massage any area of my scalp I know where buildup occurs (for me it's in the crown). Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
never rub the conditioner into your scalp, concentrate on the hair itself during conditioning washes

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm curious... if you dno't rub your scalp, how do you get it clean during a conditioner wash?

Bump. Can anyone answer this question? I have been doing conditioner rinses daily (found out I wasn't really doing washes because I wasn't rubbing it into the scalp) for about a month straight. A couple of days ago I decided to do a REAL cowash and I used Mane N Tail on my scalp like I would shampoo. My scalp felt a little irritated and sore. Last night I used Nature's Gate Tea Tree con on my scalp and though it wasn't as bad as the MNT my scalp feels slightly irritated. I try not to use conditioners with a bunch of chemicals on my scalp but how do you get it clean? Are you ladies actually rubbing the cheapies on your scalp? I'm not talking about cleaning the scalp with baking soda or ACV but conditioner. Does anyone have any recommedations for a natural conditioner that won't irritate the scalp when massaged in?

Bump. Can anyone answer this question? I have been doing conditioner rinses daily (found out I wasn't really doing washes because I wasn't rubbing it into the scalp) for about a month straight. A couple of days ago I decided to do a REAL cowash and I used Mane N Tail on my scalp like I would shampoo. My scalp felt a little irritated and sore. Last night I used Nature's Gate Tea Tree con on my scalp and though it wasn't as bad as the MNT my scalp feels slightly irritated. I try not to use conditioners with a bunch of chemicals on my scalp but how do you get it clean? Are you ladies actually rubbing the cheapies on your scalp? I'm not talking about cleaning the scalp with baking soda or ACV but conditioner. Does anyone have any recommedations for a natural conditioner that won't irritate the scalp when massaged in?

I use Hair One Olive Oil and that will be my long time lover, I am very attached! :lick::lick:

I use Hair One Olive Oil and that will be my long time lover, I am very attached! :lick::lick:

You know what I use to use Wen and then I stopped because I was using heavy cones but now I am not. I forgot all about Hair One-that stuff is meant to go on the scalp. I am going to pick some up after work today. Thanks!

Co washes are more for added moisture to your hair than to clean your scalp IMO. Shampoo should be used sparingly to cleanse the scalp and not necessarily on the length of your hair.

Co washes are more for added moisture to your hair than to clean your scalp IMO. Shampoo should be used sparingly to cleanse the scalp and not necessarily on the length of your hair.

You know, that was my initial take on the whole conditioner washes. I would not massage the con into my scalp and use shampoo when I felt I had build up. I am going back to that because it was working for me. I was just reading some threads where people said they could get their scalp just as clean with con as with poo. Thought I'd try it and I think after suffering an irritated scalp from two different cons it's safe to say con on the scalp is not for me. :nono:

this ^^^^:yep:

also, in your op you said you used 1/2 gallon of distilled water.
1/2 gallon is really not alot of water. also, was the water warmed? warm water helps to remove the residue.

i agree that using a small dab of shampoo on your scalp only will get the residue off your scalp. then try again with another conditioner. i like the tresemme brand for drugstore cheapie conditioners that have good quality. also, garnier brand is good. i have tried their sleek and shine and like it. also the length and strength line is nice too. they have a moisturizing line that is probably a good bet.

one technique to try is to apply the conditioner to dry hair. then rinse the hair well. again, make sure you focus on your hair only. not the scalp. :)

this ^^^^:yep:

also, in your op you said you used 1/2 gallon of distilled water.
1/2 gallon is really not alot of water. also, was the water warmed? warm water helps to remove the residue.

i agree that using a small dab of shampoo on your scalp only will get the residue off your scalp. then try again with another conditioner. i like the tresemme brand for drugstore cheapie conditioners that have good quality. also, garnier brand is good. i have tried their sleek and shine and like it. also the length and strength line is nice too. they have a moisturizing line that is probably a good bet.

one technique to try is to apply the conditioner to dry hair. then rinse the hair well. again, make sure you focus on your hair only. not the scalp. :)

Oh, I didn't start this thread. This is an old one from 2003 that I bumped up.

i have to take special care not to get all the conditioner on my scalp, because my scalp will itch too. i just think its making my scalp clogged up. so i avoid the roots and scalp as much as i can, i when i rinse it out i have to do it in sections to make sure my scalp is cleansed. ♥

Maybe your scalp actually needs a wash :look:

Could be but I just washed with shampoo 3 days ago. I just wanted to see if I could keep my scalp clean with con. My scalp does not itch but it is irritated, sore. So it's not a clealiness issue and it only felt this way right after I massaged these conditioners into my scalp which I usually don't do with any con.

Back