It seems there aren't any....

• Thread starter Thread starter legs71
  • Start date Start date
L

legs71

It seems there aren\'t any....

hairdressers that specialize in maintaining natural pressed hair. I'm in the process of transitioning from braids after 3.5 years to pressed natural hair, but it would help a great deal if I could find a salon that caters to those of us who want the relaxed straight look minus the chemicals. I love the benefits of growing my hair out natural and I don't want to have to give them up...just yet. Thanks to this board I now know to do to maintain my hair, but styling is another story. There is the option of having my mother press my hair and have my cousin who owns a salon to flat iron and wrap it. I need some help from someone who is knowledgeable about natural hair so they can lay down the groundwork and I can take it from there. Any suggestions? Also can anyone reccomend a natural salon that specializes in press and curl? If at all possible I'd like to remain natural and avoid having my hair relaxed.

Re: It seems there aren\'t any....

My hair stylist's clients have natural and relaxed hair. My hair stylist is located in Maryland. I don't know where Spring Vallety is. If you list the state you live in I'm sure someone on the board could recommend a stylist.

sbaker,

I'm located in New York 45 minutes from the city and 20 minutes from northern , New Jersey. With my newfound hair obsession I can see myself relocating based on my hair. LOL

Hey Legs,
You might want to visit nappturality.com. they have a salon referral thing for places that press natural hair. Some places i know are Sirca Design, Afrigenix, and Jelani Salon. Also, you might want to page Leejure. She gets her hair pressed and its gorgeous. I think shes in NY too.
hth
cara

Actually almost every stylist that in the salon that I go to is natural but don't seem the press hair often. And they seem to wear their own hair in twist or braid outs or just shake and go. I think they mostly blow out natural hair to get it straight if you want it that way but I have seen one of them use a ceramic flat iron recently. The salon is called Shades and it's in Livingston, NJ. They are very very good with taking care of hair both natural and processed but they ain't cheap. If you want more info let me know.

Hey Legs,
You might want to visit nappturality.com. they have a salon referral thing for places that press natural hair. Some places i know are Sirca Design, Afrigenix, and Jelani Salon. Also, you might want to page Leejure. She gets her hair pressed and its gorgeous. I think shes in NY too.
hth
cara

She may want to be careful with that. NP does not advocate heat straightening and discussion on the topic is banned. The post will be closed immediately.

I just can't believe there aren't people who specialize in pressing natural hair. The majority of the time that I had straight hair it was press and curl, not relaxed. And last time I got my hair straightened it was via old school pressing comb in a salon. Where are you located?

I think that's exactly why, Mwedzi - it's old school. There are few ladies in the salons today that know how to wield a pressing comb with style and grace, without killing your hair in the process - I really think it's a 'dying' talent, so to speak.

Using pressing combs and keeping healthy hair was the 'thing' in our grandmothers generation, I think. Our moms were mostly relaxed, rather than pressed - only little girls got pressed until they were old enough to get a perm, ya know?

I think that's exactly why, Mwedzi - it's old school. There are few ladies in the salons today that know how to wield a pressing comb with style and grace, without killing your hair in the process - I really think it's a 'dying' talent, so to speak.

Using pressing combs and keeping healthy hair was the 'thing' in our grandmothers generation, I think. Our moms were mostly relaxed, rather than pressed - only little girls got pressed until they were old enough to get a perm, ya know?

Maybe it varies by region, or maybe my family is the anamoly, but most of my family is "natural" in the not-relaxer sense. We are almost all 4b and almost none of us have a relaxer, my generation, my mother's, and my grandmother's.

But even if only little girls are getting pressed now, that must mean there are still people who can press hair, right? Shoot, even I have basic pressing skills. But I see more and more people are choosing the flat iron, which I think is actually harder to get straight hair with.

Most salons use a C iron with a Marcel stove now in addition to the electric flat iron. Luckily my hair doesnt take extreme heat to get it straight so either or can be used on my hair. I do my own deep conditioning and reconstructor treatments at home though. The salon charges extra for that.

My grandmothers stylist still uses a pressing comb. when I was a child she pressed my hair until the curl pattern was non existant :look: hence why I had no clue that I had extremely curly hair when I first went natural...i dont go to her anymore though.

I don't know, it's happening a lot lately. I think there must be a feature on the forum that drags up old posts randomly. I refuse to get fooled again. I watch the dates on everything now. LOL!

Back