It is Really Necessary?

Barbara

Princess
I don’t do the following because that’s more work: No conditioning washes, no pre poo, no hot oil treatment, no baggy method, and layering the hair with all those products. In fact, I never heard of these things until I stumbled across this forum. My stylists have never done these things to my hair either.

Is it really necessary to do all of this to achieve our hair goals? I don’t think so--at least not in my case.

My primary staples save me time plus they’re super moisturizing rich products, so these extra steps aren’t necessary. :nono:

In addition, I “doctor up” my secondary products (which I enjoy) to mimic my primary products. I get the same results for a fraction of the cost.:yep:

Nevertheless, it’s good to know the purpose of these “options.” One day I may do them if I don’t have anything else better to do—just to get rid of some products and to kill time. :lachen:

:look: Good morning!!!

So - What was the point of your Post???? I am curious......

ETA... AHHH........ I see..... Nope - not everything is neccesary. You have to find something.. and stick to that....whatever it is.

Last edited:
I dont' really think every single step is necessary. A lot of ladies here Keep it Simple, basic regimen and still have progress. I have my moods when i feel like doing 10 steps, and moods where I just wash and condition

With time, you will figure out what is necessary for your hair. For me I have to wash and Deep condition weekly, and moisturize every 2-3 days. I only cowash because I enjoy getting water on my scalp. I say don't do it if you are not enjoying it

I see the point of it and I've always wondered the same thing.

Back when I was a lurker, I saw women with beautiful hair but when I saw all the things they did to it as a part of their regimen, I was discouraged.

Only when I saw some women doing simpler things and their hair grew just as long without the 3 page long regimens, I decided that I was going to begin growing my hair.
Yeah, I brought all the hair products and nearly broke my bank account trying to play catch up.

But now, I'm realizing that with a few staple products, I can grow my hair to long lenghths.

The answer to your question is, "How long is my hair?". The point of this entire forum is achieving long hair. Longer than what you already have. If your hair is already long from what your stylist was doing to your hair then more power to you. But then, you would have had no reason to join the forum.

In my case what I was doing only led me to shoulder length hair, and not beyond. Once I decided that I wanted more I knew I needed to completely change my approach to hair care. So for me, many other steps became necessary.

I don’t do the following because that’s more work: No conditioning washes, no pre poo, no hot oil treatment, no baggy method, and layering the hair with all those products. In fact, I never heard of these things until I stumbled across this forum. My stylists have never done these things to my hair either.

Is it really necessary to do all of this to achieve our hair goals? I don’t think so--at least not in my case.

Hmm...well, I don't think so. For instance, the picture of my hair in my siggy is pre-LHCF, during a very abused period in my hair's life. It still grew...but very, very slowly. I lost a lot of length, and my hair was very unhealthy. I still don't do any of the things on your list except for layering hair with products, but my hair practices have improved because of these forums. Could I have gotten back to WL and beyond without LHCF? Yes. Will I do it faster (and healthier) with LHCF? I think yes.
So, not necessary, but I think it helps!

My hair would grow fine without the extras but I want great hair not good hair.

I think the little extras do make the difference in the appearance of your hair. I get complements from random folks- men (straight) and women on the street about my hair- not the style but my actual hair. This never happened before LHCF unless I just got it done or I was being complemented by a boyfriend. It a really weird experience but the extra moisture, oils, henna bring something special to the hair.

I continue to trim down my products but will always some extra things to take me to the next level.

The answer to your question is, "How long is my hair?". The point of this entire forum is achieving long hair. Longer than what you already have. If your hair is already long from what your stylist was doing to your hair then more power to you. But then, you would have had no reason to join the forum.

In my case what I was doing only led me to shoulder length hair, and not beyond. Once I decided that I wanted more I knew I needed to completely change my approach to hair care. So for me, many other steps became necessary.
I was BSL when I joined and I still felt the need and a reason to find a good site that was all about growing longer, healthier hair. :perplexed
To answer you question OP, all those extras you asked about are not needed for my personal hair care. But different strokes for different heads. I have other aspects of my life that are complicated and the last thing I need or have time for is a lengthy, 2 page, hair care regimen.

I was BSL when I joined and I still felt the need and a reason to find a good site that was all about growing longer, healthier hair. :perplexed
To answer you question OP, all those extras you asked about are not needed for my personal hair care. But different strokes for different heads. I have other aspects of my life that are complicated and the last thing I need or have time for is a lengthy, 2 page, hair care regimen.

Yes, I did say "Longer than what you already have".

My primary staples save me time plus they’re super moisturizing rich products, so these extra steps aren’t necessary. :nono:

In addition, I “doctor up” my secondary products (which I enjoy) to mimic my p rimary products. I get the same results for a fraction of the cost.:yep:

Nevertheless, it’s good to know the purpose of these “options.” One day I may do them if I don’t have anything else better to do—just to get rid of some products and to kill time. :lachen:

Well my stylist never did most of this stuff either. Never even so much as a Deep Condition. Never much at all except excessive trimming and relaxing my hair to death. If I continued to go by what my stylist told me I would be in the same shape that I was then.

Now that I found LHCF, my hair is growing and yes I have had to try numerous products and techniques to find what works. Hey I LOVE hot oil treatments because it makes detangling a breeze for me. Conditioner washes don't work for me but I tried. The list goes on....

I think that the answer to the question really is different for each of us. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa...

I don't think that everything we do here is a must for every head of hair, on or off this forum. But that's the point of a hair forum, joining individuals with like interest for hair care to discuss the different options, new craves and any and everything else deemed hair worthy. Because of hair boards I have been able to build a regimen with products and techniques that work for my hair type. Many of the things that I do to my hair are not conventional hair practices in every day life, however they are NECESSARY for me and my hair.

Co-washing
Tea Rinsing
Weekly protein treatments
Weekly DC treatments
Weekly Rollersetting

....and the list can go on and on, these are unconventional techniques for many but they would have to be.... because they yield such unconventional results for many!!!

I think different techniques and regimens work for different people. I think I have a simple reggie, but I enjoy hearing about the different techniques that others are trying because it's educational and gives me additional tips that I can use if I ever reach a plateau.

I think the trick with this site is finidng what works for you. Like it's been stated, not every product/technique works for every person. This site is GREAT at discovering and teaching new techniques and recommending great new products, its up to us as members to pick and choose what we want to use. Everything is not for everyone, but there HAS to be SOMETHING for someone on this site :yep:. Way too much great info to think otherwise. So to answer your question.. no it's NOT necassary (and probably not even intended/recommended) for us to do EVERYTHING posted on the boards.

I'd have to agree with previous posters.

I used to have a very complicated regimen, but I honestly enjoyed the self-pampering.

My hair's always been thick and lengthy (until I BCed 8 months ago, now it's short but, thick and on the grow).

Now, I don't care for such a complicated regimen and I'm being ruthless in seeing how little it needs by tweaking what I know works.

Do I really need a leave-in or just coconut oil (Oil)?

Do I really need heavy silicones to protect from heat (No -FOR ME, I'm saying that for ME...keep in mind I don't flat-iron or use uber hot blow dryers EVER)?

Do I really need a super rich DC (YES)?

I'm finding what I really need is a quality poo, DC, protein source (that I add to my DC rather than do two separate treatments) and coconut oil. Everything else like pomades or gels (for appearance only) or extra bells and whistles (special add-ins to my DCs to feel pampered) are just that...bells and whistles.

I enjoy them as the mood hits.

It's all what works for you. :yep:

You definitely answered your own question there. I agree, it's not all necessary, but it depends on the head. For example, I rinse my hair every day in the shower and then wear a puff. Some people consider every day rinsing excessive. I found that it works for me and fits in my lifestyle (mainly because I'm lazy). I haven't DC'd in a minute nor have I done an oil treatment or used a moisturizer other than water, because it's not necessary for me.

Hair is always growing. And by treating my hair according to its natural characteristics I've found that most things aren't necessary for retaining length. If I start to get complicated with my hair (straightening, dye, relaxer, henna, etc.) then I guess my regimen will have to get just as complicated to reflect the changes.

I dont think its necessary.

Now i have a ton of different products but i do not like spending days on end DC'ing and spending a whole day doing my hair just to retain length.

You can mess around and have your hair in a worse state than it was before because you are doing WAY too much.

Healthy hair shouldnt require 6 hrs of work and a 2 page blog. Thats not natural at all..

I really dont think all those are neccesary...conditioner washes are a waste of time, All I do is use moisturizing hair leave-ins daily to replace the need to conditioner wash.
pre-poo so not neccesary for me..once I shampoo my hair it gets rid of all the previous product I put in it anyway, the most important thing is what you put in your hair after u shampoo.
hot oil treatments to me arent neccessary for My hair, its just a greasy mess, my conditioner is all I need.
Baggy method I never tried it, but I heard it can cause breakage becuase of moisture over load
But I'm sure those methods are useful for some but not me.

I see the point of it and I've always wondered the same thing.

Back when I was a lurker, I saw women with beautiful hair but when I saw all the things they did to it as a part of their regimen, I was discouraged.

Only when I saw some women doing simpler things and their hair grew just as long without the 3 page long regimens, I decided that I was going to begin growing my hair.
Yeah, I brought all the hair products and nearly broke my bank account trying to play catch up.

But now, I'm realizing that with a few staple products, I can grow my hair to long lenghths.

Thanks for being so understanding.

I really dont think all those are neccesary...conditioner washes are a waste of time, All I do is use moisturizing hair leave-ins daily to replace the need to conditioner wash.
pre-poo so not neccesary for me..once I shampoo my hair it gets rid of all the previous product I put in it anyway, the most important thing is what you put in your hair after u shampoo.
hot oil treatments to me arent neccessary for My hair, its just a greasy mess, my conditioner is all I need.
Baggy method I never tried it, but I heard it can cause breakage becuase of moisture over load
But I'm sure those methods are useful for some but not me.

Helpful comments . . .

Now i have a ton of different products but i do not like spending days on end DC'ing and spending a whole day doing my hair just to retain length.

You can mess around and have your hair in a worse state than it was before because you are doing WAY too much.

Healthy hair shouldnt require 6 hrs of work and a 2 page blog. Thats not natural at all..

Exactly! That's what I mean. No offense to anyone.:nono:

Less manipulation is better.

I think different techniques and regimens work for different people. I think I have a simple reggie, but I enjoy hearing about the different techniques that others are trying because it's educational and gives me additional tips that I can use if I ever reach a plateau.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I think the trick with this site is finidng what works for you. Like it's been stated, not every product/technique works for every person. This site is GREAT at discovering and teaching new techniques and recommending great new products, its up to us as members to pick and choose what we want to use. Everything is not for everyone, but there HAS to be SOMETHING for someone on this site :yep:. Way too much great info to think otherwise. So to answer your question.. no it's NOT necassary (and probably not even intended/recommended) for us to do EVERYTHING posted on the boards.

Yes for those who are first starting off on their hair journey, then there is a period of "trial and error," but I'm referring to those who've done more than enough for years and know what works for their hair. On the other hand, I guess some have the time to go through all these steps and they enjoy it. Their techniques are helpful to others, though. I don't mean anything negative.

You definitely answered your own question there. I agree, it's not all necessary, but it depends on the head. For example, I rinse my hair every day in the shower and then wear a puff. Some people consider every day rinsing excessive. I found that it works for me and fits in my lifestyle (mainly because I'm lazy). I haven't DC'd in a minute nor have I done an oil treatment or used a moisturizer other than water, because it's not necessary for me.

Hair is always growing. And by treating my hair according to its natural characteristics I've found that most things aren't necessary for retaining length. If I start to get complicated with my hair (straightening, dye, relaxer, henna, etc.) then I guess my regimen will have to get just as complicated to reflect the changes.

You're most certainly right. I was just rambling off to kill time at work.

Last edited:
Hmm...well, I don't think so. For instance, the picture of my hair in my siggy is pre-LHCF, during a very abused period in my hair's life. It still grew...but very, very slowly. I lost a lot of length, and my hair was very unhealthy. I still don't do any of the things on your list except for layering hair with products, but my hair practices have improved because of these forums. Could I have gotten back to WL and beyond without LHCF? Yes. Will I do it faster (and healthier) with LHCF? I think yes.
So, not necessary, but I think it helps!

I agree and your hair is gorgeous!

I don't do all the extra stuff either. Even though I have tried some of these things like co-washing and airdrying, I never stuck with it because it wasn't best for my hair. And I like to keep it simple and I don't like fooling with my hair all the time.

I operate under the principle: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I only consider doing the extras if there is something going on that needs to be addressed. For example: when the cold weather started, I noticed my scalp was dry and even saw some flakes (probably from the dry indoor heat). Normally I don't prepoo at all but I started using EVOO on the scalp as a prepoo and its working wonderfully.

In the summertime I sweat a lot so I tend to wash my hair more often. My hair dries out if I use shampoo too often so that's when I will do the co-washing instead.

So basically I try to keep it simple and add other items as necessary.

Back