Isopropyl Myristate-Very BAD????

Mzbrickhouse

Someone please tell me it ain't so. A friend told me that any hair product with Isopropyl Myristate is VERY BAD. She said she saw it on Oprah a year ago or so. It can cause blackheads and pimples. I heard it's a very harsh chemical that is the main ingredient in Liquid Wrench, a rust remover. It's been over a month since I have been using products with this only because I am on a new hair regime thanks to this board
smile.gif
. But from my oil sheen spray, to my african essence oil-free silicon drops, and a couple others, which all smell fabulously and make my hair super shiny, all have this isopropyl myristate. I guess one really does have to stick to natural products as much as possible. Has anyone else heard this?

WOW! I'm glad you asked this. I just bought a Hot Six oil spray that has this. I could have gotten the one that was not a spray and didn't have this, but I didn't know if this was bad or not. I hope someone answers soon!
ohwell.gif

I just did some research and IT'S TRUE!
This ingredient is not one of the best!
Alot of products have this in them!
(ie. Nair hair remover)

*if it's not one thing, it's another!*

Almost makes you wanna, use water and nothing else...and that would have to be distilled water.

On the other hand IMHO, I'm not going to worry about every litte ingredient as long as my hair is flourishing.

I kind of compare it to food...if I worried about all the pesticides, what they feed the cows and all sorts of other stuff, I wouldn't be able to eat anything.

I'm not saying I'm not cautious about these things...

I just did several searches. They all say the same thing. It may cause dermatitis and blackheads. Here is one of my finds:

Isopropyl myristate Part natural, part synthetic emollient and lubricant. Used to lessen greasy feel of products where other ingredients have a high oil content. Can cause allergic reactions. Can aggravate acne.

Isopropyl misterate is a bad ingredient in skin care if u have acne prone skin. Considering it is a non greasy emollient it shouldn't be a problem for hair unless u wear your hair against your against your skin (eg bangs) and u have acne prone skin

I've also read that it increases the absorbtion (sp?) of common impurities found in cosmetics. Normally these impurities don't cause any problems. But when they are combined with Iso-- Myr---, the absorbtion rate is increased over 200x!
shocked.gif
That's probably what causes the breakouts...

I've noticed this ingredient is in PCJ hair grease. A children's product.
nono.gif

This ingredient is in Africa's Best Carrot Oil but I havent experienced any problems with the product so far so I wouldnt be worried.
smile.gif

Back