Is Wrapping The Hair Damaging?

Sincerely_Ciara

As some of you may know, I had a major trim (from 2 inches past shoulders to chin length). I wrap my hair, alternating sides, since I can no longer fit my hair in a ponytail to do the baggie method. So my question is, what effects does wrapping have on the hair when its done daily?
This seems to be the only way I can do my hair at night to keep it straight and manageable. My styling options are limited since cutting my hair and this seems to be the only dependable method.

Thanks, Ciara

for me that was the reason for my thin ends thanks to someone on this board (dnt remember who right now) that suggested i do the mohawk method mayb you should try that for a month or so. If you don't mind me asking why did you have to do a major trim? as for me and my thin ends i'm slowly growing and cutting them away. HTH

disgtgyal said:
for me that was the reason for my thin ends thanks to someone on this board (dnt remember who right now) that suggested i do the mohawk method mayb you should try that for a month or so. If you don't mind me asking why did you have to do a major trim? as for me and my thin ends i'm slowly growing and cutting them away. HTH
What is the mohawk method?

I'm curious too, whats the mohawk method?
I had a major trim because of thin ends. I couldn't take it anymore. I hated looking at them. lol.

Continued wrapping is not good for certain types of hair. In my case my hair and my daughters is coarse (thick strands). Wrapping over time caused the hair at the nape to break off. I guess if you could imagine coarse hair like a piece of wire bent back and forth repeatedly will eventually break, where as hair more finer like for example a piece of thread will not. Now our hair is not like wire but that was just an example.

What I've found that works is to comb the hair back from my face on each side and then using my fingers section the hair in the middle and then divide those section in half, either way you wind up with four sections. I then take the top two sections and fold the left side over the right and secure with a hair clip, and then the two bottom sections. The result is my nape is left more folded not wrapped. But the bulk of the hair will give it the wrap configuration.

I hope this was not too confusing. The other thing is to get a spray bottle with a fine sprayer. Mix Infusium, glycerin and spring water. Lightly mist the nape of your neck and sides. This will stop your hair from breaking.

ElizaBlue said:
Continued wrapping is not good for certain types of hair. In my case my hair and my daughters is coarse (thick strands). Wrapping over time caused the hair at the nape to break off. I guess if you could imagine coarse hair like a piece of wire bent back and forth repeatedly will eventually break, where as hair more finer like for example a piece of thread will not. Now our hair is not like wire but that was just an example.

What I've found that works is to comb the hair back from my face on each side and then using my fingers section the hair in the middle and then divide those section in half, either way you wind up with four sections. I then take the top two sections and fold the left side over the right and secure with a hair clip, and then the two bottom sections. The result is my nape is left more folded not wrapped. But the bulk of the hair will give it the wrap configuration.

I hope this was not too confusing. The other thing is to get a spray bottle with a fine sprayer. Mix Infusium, glycerin and spring water. Lightly mist the nape of your neck and sides. This will stop your hair from breaking.

this is good info that I can start using right now cause my hair at the nape has broken a lot from relaxer damage and wrapping( I had it tapered down I'm hoping it will grow back stronger)thanks for sharing

I can't wrap my hair every single day...In the past...I did this...and the right side of my hair had thinned out...also I wasn't alternating sides each night...so that made it worse...i wrap ocassionally...but not on a daily basis.

Thanks ladies!

I tried this method but my hair wouldn't stay in place. I don't wanna keep wrapping my hair every night and have to deal with thin ends again. But it seems to be the only way my hair stays nice and straight. I would just lay it flat and tie it up but then my ends would be exposed and the scarf leaves a crimp in my hair and it doesn't look right when I'm ready to style in the morning. So I don't know what imma do...Any suggestions would be nice and greatly appreciated!

SweetCaramel1 said:
i've wrapped my hair for years with no problem. remember to use a satin scarf

Same here, but I always use a really wide toothed rattail comb also.
Also, you can try finger combing it into a wrap, them smoothing it with a comb after it's wrapped. That cuts down the wrapping/combing tension

Back