Is this true about henna?

sensi sweetie

An Aveda stylist in Atlanta once told me that if you try and chemically color hennad hair, there would be a chemical reaction due to the metallics of the henna and break off your hair

and if that is the case would the same thing happen if you henna hair that has been previously colored?

Last edited:
This is true if you don't use body art quality (BAQ) henna. There are plenty of women on here that are relaxed and use henna, I'm one of them. Here's a thread that you may want to read through: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...eview-discussion/335111-new-henna-thread.html

I actually started reading through it and could not help but notice that most of the ladies used Indian store brands as opposed to BAQ? I wonder if that means the quality is comparable.

My hair is natural, just previously colored. Thanks for your response?

Henna with metallics isn't henna - maybe it's metallics with a little henna mixed in it. I used regular box dye on top of hair with many layers of henna - no reaction.

I wish stylists would educate themselves about this issue coz I'm sure especially in "mainstream" salons like Aveda they have plenty of clientele coming in from Africa, the ME and Asia who have used henna extensively and also use modern hair treatments such as relaxers and hair color. So it only makes sense to know the facts.

Henna with metallics isn't henna - maybe it's metallics with a little henna mixed in it. I used regular box dye on top of hair with many layers of henna - no reaction.

I wish stylists would educate themselves about this issue coz I'm sure especially in "mainstream" salons like Aveda they have plenty of clientele coming in from Africa, the ME and Asia who have used henna extensively and also use modern hair treatments such as relaxers and hair color. So it only makes sense to know the facts.

But then, that wouldn't put money in their pockets ya know :ohwell: Henna can be a long process and majority salons are just not going to sit there and wait for a dye release, application, and color result for a client. So it's easier to bend the truth a bit to have them view henna in a negative light

My sister was in school for cosmetology. She is so anti-henna isn't not even funny. She has no interest in the 'truth' about henna because of what she's been taught in school.

@OP: I don't use BAQ henna either, I use Karishma...but "henna" that colors your hair, ie: black henna, red henna, brown henna, blonde henna, etc usually are made with PDD

The Henna Page - PPD Black Henna

I used this Harishma Herbal henna on my head, then 4 months later I dyed my hair dark brown.

No problems yet, and its been 4 months since I dyed my hair dark brown

when I was natural I bleached and hennad my hair ... no probs

now that Im natural I religiously henna my hair. abt 8 months ago I bleached my hair and added colour rinse, since that washed out Ive been hennaing over it.

no probs, but then this is MY experience

I use "indian store" bought BAQ henna

But then, that wouldn't put money in their pockets ya know :ohwell: Henna can be a long process and majority salons are just not going to sit there and wait for a dye release, application, and color result for a client. So it's easier to bend the truth a bit to have them view henna in a negative light

My sister was in school for cosmetology. She is so anti-henna isn't not even funny. She has no interest in the 'truth' about henna because of what she's been taught in school.

@OP: I don't use BAQ henna either, I use Karishma...but "henna" that colors your hair, ie: black henna, red henna, brown henna, blonde henna, etc usually are made with PDD

The Henna Page - PPD Black Henna

I have noticed this as well about cosmotologist!! WTF! Mind games!! :spinning::spinning:

Back