Is this too much shed hair

tiffjust2002

So this morning when I was washing my hair I noticed that I had a lot of shed hairs coming out. I had my hair in a ponytail for about 4 days, I didn't detangle the ponytail at all during this time I just spritzed it with my leave in conditioner mix I made everyday and that was it. Is this amount of hair normal for how my hair was not touched for 4 days?

Thanks!
shed hair.jpg

You have to determine what is normal for your hair. Think back to your previous shedding

Also look for thinning or bald spots. If you see any over the course of the next weeks you are fine.

I had noticed that my hair was shedding LIKE CRAZY this past month in the front. It was not normal for me and I started freaking out a bit.

I started really paying attention to my scalp to see if I had any bald spots.

When I looked at my NG I noticed I had an extra 1/4 of an inch in the front. I normally only get 1/4 inch total a month.

This month I got a 1/2 inch a month. The back stayed at its normal 1/2 inch growth.

I wrote about it in my blog: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?b=25523

Have you changed your diet in any way big or small.

Normally my shed hair after washing is less than this maybe like half of that. But I noticed that after I dyed my hair jet black about a month ago my hair seems to shed more than usual and I thought it was dye. I don't plan on dyeing my hair anymore but I had this brown color that I need to get rid of.

I am a natural who was previous a dye addict lol so my hair is used to be dyed

No change to my diet.

But I am going to do like you said and check my hair for thinning and bald spots, thanks!

Normally my shed hair after washing is less than this maybe like half of that. But I noticed that after I dyed my hair jet black about a month ago my hair seems to shed more than usual and I thought it was dye. I don't plan on dyeing my hair anymore but I had this brown color that I need to get rid of.

I am a natural who was previous a dye addict lol so my hair is used to be dyed

No change to my diet.

But I am going to do like you said and check my hair for thinning and bald spots, thanks!

If you have dyed your hair before and did not notice this then,
Its possible you may be allergic to one of the synthetic ingredients in that particular dye.

Keep us posted

Question: was it bigen dye you used?

oh, interesting never thought of that.

um, I don't know what that is LOL
I used the box dye by Clairol Textures and Tones Soft Black but previously I was using the same dye in Cherrywood for about a year.

oh, interesting never thought of that.

um, I don't know what that is LOL
I used the box dye by Clairol Textures and Tones Soft Black but previously I was using the same dye in Cherrywood for about a year.

Ok on the surface it could be the dye but it could also be a range of other things.

Low iron could also cause thinning.

You might want to consider having some blood work done.

Rule out as much as possible and really monitor your hair.

Take a ruler and measure your hair for the next couple of months so you know what your growth pattern is.

Knowing my growth pattern helped me figure out why I was shedding so much.

Is your scalp itching a lot, I'm not talking normal itch I mean almost a creepy crawly itch that is not associated with a dirty scalp or clogged pores.

Ok on the surface it could be the dye but it could also be a range of other things.

Low iron could also cause thinning.

You might want to consider having some blood work done.

Rule out as much as possible and really monitor your hair.

Take a ruler and measure your hair for the next couple of months so you know what your growth pattern is.

Knowing my growth pattern helped me figure out why I was shedding so much.

Is your scalp itching a lot, I'm not talking normal itch I mean almost a creepy crawly itch that is not associated with a dirty scalp or clogged pores.

That's a great idea! I will start to measure my growth, no creepy itching, just my normal my-hair-dirty-needs-a-wash itch.

Back