Is This Stupid?

Melody.Monroe

I was once told that it is best to use the same brand of product for your hair...what I mean is use ONE line of product on your hair for the best results...is this true? For a while I was using the Mizani line but that costs an arm and a leg...and I would love to keep mine. I haven't had a relaxer since August 2009, so it's been a little over a year. My hair is like wavy curly.... I want something not to high in sulfates...I was thinking about trying the Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil line.

Is there any truth to what I have heard? What product LINES do y'all recommend??

Last edited:
I know that in the instructions on every hair product they recommend that you use the entire line for the best results. For me its just never been that easy. For instance my hair loves elasta qp olive oil and mango butter and the creamy shampoo. But everything else from elasta qp does nothing for my hair. If you are lucky enough to find a product line that works for you than go for it.

There is no need to stick to the same line all the time. Sometimes its a line the manufacturer feeds you to make you buy their entire line but occasionally the whole line works together.

Lmao at "good texture." You definitely DO NOT have stick to one line. Shop around and pick what works for. If that happens to be all one line, then so be it.

Not at all, while a company will create a line of products to work in harmony with one another this does not mean that each product is the best for YOUR hair. Company A may make a deep conditioner that just makes your hair feel wonderful while their shampoo is drying. Hair like everything else on your body is highly unique, while you may fit into a broad category where a whole line may suffice you're more likely to find optimum results by going among different brands and different products.

I came in here all happy till I read the good texture line. Then I cringed. However, I still wanna add my two cents....you don't have to stick to one line. I have Nexxus and ORS shampoos, Matrix and Joico deep conditioners, Herbal Essences and Trader Joe's cowash conditioners, and don't get me started on all the oils and leave-ins. There is definitely a lot of trial and error in finding what works.

I know that in the instructions on every hair product they recommend that you use the entire line for the best results. For me its just never been that easy. For instance my hair loves elasta qp olive oil and mango butter and the creamy shampoo. But everything else from elasta qp does nothing for my hair. If you are lucky enough to find a product line that works for you than go for it.

This is off topic, but I wanted to know how to use the elasta qp? i bought some today and was wondering do you put it on wet or dry and how often?

Ah, did I hear someone mention "good texture"? Curious about how to get good hair? I know just the video!! <rubs hands together>

[video=youtube;nLxV35M3lVA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLxV35M3lVA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

YouTube - How to Get Good Hair
:lol::lol::grin::lachen:

That had me dying laughing. yes deny your hair type then argue with the person for 7 pages.

Companies just want you to stick to their line so they can make more money. If you look at alot of shampoos they have the same ingredients in different lines. So there is no need to stick with one line and use all of their products. It is just a gimmick so you will spend your money with them.

Last edited:
A lot of good conditioners have horrid shampoos! A lot of good shampoos, conditioners are terrifying. Some lines don't even have a leave in conditioner...

Redken smooth down shampoo, conditioner, and deep conditioner (which is called butter treat) is a good line (the bottle claims you can use a little of the deep conditioner as a leave). It also has a heat protectant in the line. Redken smooth down entire line is kind of expensive probably run you $45.
It a great line to go with if you only want to stick to one, shampoo is not harsh either besides the fact of it having sulfates

But yeah, don't think you need to chase down a line a lot of these line just reuse the same 5-6 ingredients and throw it in the shampoo and conditioner and leave in..

LOL. I said good texture bc its inbetween...not bad, but not GREAT...I don't even know what my hair type is...gotta figure that one out...LOL!

Thanks for the replies because I was like all product lines don't have ALL the necessities for my hair...

People are responding to the "good hair" comment because most of us on don't subscribe to the good hair/bad hair type of thinking. We believe that good hair is healthy, well-taken care of hair, regardless of texture. Kinky hair is just as beautiful and "good" as curly or wavy hair. It looks like you just joined a month ago so you probably haven't had a chance to see how strongly LHCF feels about the matter.

Do what's best for your hair and pockets. I choose to use more expensive moiturizers and conditioners but I cannot see myself purchasing expensive salon shampoos. So sticking to one line is not a good choice for me.

ETA: It seems like a marketing strategy but then again some of the products in a line may work in synergy.

People are responding to the "good hair" comment because most of us on don't subscribe to the good hair/bad hair type of thinking. We believe that good hair is healthy, well-taken care of hair, regardless of texture. Kinky hair is just as beautiful and "good" as curly or wavy hair. It looks like you just joined a month ago so you probably haven't had a chance to see how strongly LHCF feels about the matter.

Thank you for putting it the way you did...I had no idea that it was a negative thing to write or say. :-(

Back