Is this 'real' shea butter?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I bought this shea butter off of EBAY and am wondering if it should be this yellow?

It looks a lot more yellow than it does in the pic.

If so, how do I whip this to make it a little softer?

Attachments

• DSCN0302.jpg
    DSCN0302.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0303.jpg
    DSCN0303.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
It looks like the real thing to me. When i recieve my last batch it came in the same color. My shea butter mix contain coconut and olive oil.

Yup, mine looks lie that too..you can whip it with other oils to thin it out, you can experiment with it and see what your hair likes.

I mix mine with EVOO and EVCO. I don't heat it up more than 30s in the microwave just enough to soften it and not make a mess whipping it (I have a hand mixer). I've also added in other butters and some EOs for scent in another mix I made.

Mine looked like that when I first received it. A couple months later it started turning white. I truly believe it was fake. I feel like I need to make my own to ensure it's the real thing.

I talked to an African friend of mine and she stated that when it's a yellowish color that it is mixed with another oil or spice..can't remember which one..Many times you can ask the seller directly if it is mixed with something and they will tell you.

actually it will be hard to tell..if its not grainy,has an earthy dirt smell,,free of discolored spots,melts when rubbing it..ect..then it probably is legit..the yellow color could come from a majority of things...being mixed with an oil or the nut of the shea tree. not all yellow shea butters are mixed with things.organic shea butter can range from an off white to a golden yellow

You might have a refined shea butter, unrefined shea is normally white and the scent is quite strong.

it looks like the real deal to me.... mine is not quite as yellow but my bff has some that's that the same shade of yellow as yours.

You might have a refined shea butter, unrefined shea is normally white and the scent is quite strong.

Refined Shea butter is exactly oppisite of what she has in the photo. It is colorless, odorless and creamy. Raw Shea runs the gambit of colors between white, and dark cream.

If it has any color at all its probably raw. Sometimes they add colorant to it to make it look better (just like they do to butter and cheese because people somehow have it in their heads that butter and cheese are supposed to be yellow) They just add the colorant to make people think they are getting a richer or "better" butter. (even if its the same old regular Shea butter from the same nut in the tree that the white butter came from, silly people will still buy the yellow one because they think its better)

It really doesn't effect the potency of the product. Its just cosmetic.

To the OP, as long as it smells right, is thick and melts when you rub it and isn't grainy like Mizz Brit said above me... then its fine.

Last edited:
I talked to an African friend of mine and she stated that when it's a yellowish color that it is mixed with another oil or spice..can't remember which one..Many times you can ask the seller directly if it is mixed with something and they will tell you.

Tumeric! It's naturally white!

actually it will be hard to tell..if its not grainy,has an earthy dirt smell,,free of discolored spots,melts when rubbing it..ect..then it probably is legit..the yellow color could come from a majority of things...being mixed with an oil or the nut of the shea tree. not all yellow shea butters are mixed with things.organic shea butter can range from an off white to a golden yellow

:yep: It melts just wonderfully and is not grainy at all...whew! Now I just need to get to whipping it for my hair!

Sorry, just saw your post...I actually bought some yellow shea from Madina Online a while back because I was trying to make sure I got the rawest, least refined product I could find and figured the white version had been bleached to some extent...what can I say, I didn't know... :lol:

Re: your question...I've been using mine, and it works just fine. As someone mentioned earlier, it seems to be purely cosmetic, so I don't think it'll have any adverse effects.

My very brief Googling turned up some favorable evidence for the use of red palm oil for healthy hair, so if you're concerned, you could always look into it. It's a plant-based product, though, so I wouldn't worry.

So should I not use it on my hair?

Back