Is this overkill? Please advise.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Hi guys, I've just taken out my cornrows, I got quite a bit of breakage and shedding, anyway I want to do the following tonight:

Diluted clarifying wash with wella back to basics grapefruit clarifying shampoo (first clarify EVER!
shocked.gif
)
Conditioner wash
Aussie 3 minute miracle thingy (30 mins)- Rinse
Deep conditioning with lustrasilk cholesterol (1hr) - Rinse

Then usual leave in stuff. Is this enough? I just want to get my hair in the best possible shape before I do kinky twists in September.

Is there anything I may have missed out?

I think u should probably shampoo because if your hair is breaking, then having any product buildup will prevent the conditioner from working as well. I would do a light shampoo and follow up with the rest u mentioned which sounds great!

whens the last time u did a protein treatment though? if its been a while, that might be the route for the breakage...

Oops, I forgot!! I'm doing a clarifying shampoo for the first time! better edit now.

I have only ever done 'light' protein treatments, so I may have to purchase a strong one once i've got my products down to managable level.

Thanks for replying!

x

If you have increased breakage & shedding you might want to do a moderate or heavy protein treatment. Are you on a no-poo routine or have you already shampooed after taking out your braids?

Tai, I have not done anything just yet, i've literally just (about 2hrs ago) taken them out.

Since joining the board, I don't use shampoo at every wash, probably every other wash.

To be honest my hair looks fuller, but it could be an illusion.

x

I would wash your hair just because you've had them in braids. Then I would do a protein treatment followed by a deep conditioner. You might want to do a pre shampoo treatment. EVOO or coconut oil and honey are good combos.

Thanks for the advice! But i've started! lol

I did a little clarifying, then I couldn't be bothered to get in and out of the shower twice, so I put the aussie and cholesterol and a little aphogee reconstructor altogether, and i'll leave them for 45 minutes.

See what happens, I'm having a week break and although I was going to let my cousin cornrow again, I may just put it in the kinky twists instead.

If that's the case, I repeat what I did tonight next weekend minus the clarify.

Back