Is this Odd To You?

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I hate to admit that I side-eyed a wedding invitation of a good friend. It's a vow renewal ceremony at a hotel in a beach town which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive away. The nearest airport is 1 1/2 hours away from the wedding location, so you might as well drive. The invitation says that the wedding activities are from 6-9PM. All of that is great, but I did a double take when I realized the wedding is on a Friday evening.

Friday traffic in SoCal is a beast... I mean BEAST. If anyone in this area has any intentions on going to this, they'd have to take a half day off work just to ensure being there on time. I'm usually all for Friday night weddings and destination weddings. But not for a destination type wedding where my only option is to drive & miss a half day of work. I bit the bullet and asked her why since so many people she invited were in this same area & were going to have to make this drive in Friday traffic. She said because it was cheaper. :rolleyes: But of course. The wedding is in March and she's pressuring for rsvps now because you have to book your hotel room etc. I think I'm mostly bothered because I have to drive on a Friday afternoon. I feel bad too because I know if I had to leave a little early to board a flight to Cabo I wouldn't feel this way. Am I the oddball here or is her timing a little off?

I think it's a bit of both. Honestly, Friday is an odd day for wedding. And it's definitely inconvenient for you and other people. However, it really is common for couples to do things like this to save money. There can be a difference of hundreds to thousands of dollars for Saturday weddings.

That being said you don't have to go if it's too inconvenient. And as bad as it sounds she very well could have scheduled it this day to whittle down her guest list. I know one of the perks of my having a destination wedding in the Bahamas was the fact that less people would come. I didn't want a bunch of people at the wedding.

Also, I do side eye her pressing people to rsvp so early.

I'm getting married on a Friday evening because it is $10,000 cheaper than having it on Saturday.

A $10,000 savings? Yeah, I don't care who is inconvenienced. :lachen:

Those who want to be there will, those who don't won't.

It not that its on a Friday. It's on a Friday at a place where your only option is to drive in traffic and the pressure to hurry up and rsvp before you can really decide if its worth going.

IMHO I don't think its odd. March isn't that far off so it would make sense to have the RSVP's in ASAP. Since its a vow renewal, maybe they don't really expect everyone to attend. So if it's that much of an inconvenience, I wouldn't feel too bad about not being "able" to attend.

I don't think it's odd and is just a way for her to cut costs. I'm sure she knows that many people won't be able to make it at that time so I wouldn't feel bad about not attending.

Friday evening wedding events are quite common these days. You might as well take the day off (or work half-day) to attend if traffic will be that bad to leave after work. If she is a GOOD friend, you'll attend <--- That is the expectation of the bride.

Sunday night events are common too. No longer are people doing wedding stuff only on Saturdays.

I hate to admit that I side-eyed a wedding invitation of a good friend. It's a vow renewal ceremony at a hotel in a beach town which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive away. The nearest airport is 1 1/2 hours away from the wedding location, so you might as well drive. The invitation says that the wedding activities are from 6-9PM. All of that is great, but I did a double take when I realized the wedding is on a Friday evening.

Friday traffic in SoCal is a beast... I mean BEAST. If anyone in this area has any intentions on going to this, they'd have to take a half day off work just to ensure being there on time. I'm usually all for Friday night weddings and destination weddings. But not for a destination type wedding where my only option is to drive & miss a half day of work. I bit the bullet and asked her why since so many people she invited were in this same area & were going to have to make this drive in Friday traffic. She said because it was cheaper. :rolleyes: But of course. The wedding is in March and she's pressuring for rsvps now because you have to book your hotel room etc. I think I'm mostly bothered because I have to drive on a Friday afternoon. I feel bad too because I know if I had to leave a little early to board a flight to Cabo I wouldn't feel this way. Am I the oddball here or is her timing a little off?

exactly I'm assuming she wanted people to either take the day off or come early so they won't have to endure the traffic

honestly its her day--and i dont think she should switch her day and time due to traffic

if i am attending a wedding event form 6-9pm i would leave work early if i am attending so traffic is not an issue and i can be well rested before the evenings event.

i mean really? you can either go or stay home..nothing personal

My cousin got married on a Friday evening. It was a lovely wedding on the lake. They chose Friday because it was much cheaper than having it on a Saturday. I was more than happy to take a personal day off from work and had myself a nice 3 day weekend!

My husband and I got married on a Thursday as it was our 2 year anniversary. Yes it inconvenienced folk, no I didn't care. I was asked on at least 2 occasions to change it and refused. All those who wanted to be there made it work. Those who didn't enjoyed the pictures. It didn't save me a dime, but getting married on our anniversary was important to us.

Back