Is this normal? Calling all ladies who wear sew-ins!

blueberryd said:
Whn i tried a sew in, it was sooooo tight my scalp (near my temples) bled for a couple of days. I evn took some leftover lortab ( from wisdom tooth removal) and it still hurt...needless to say the i had to take that ish out!! Lol

It's utterly ridiculous that someone would braid your hair that tightly and not see the issue.

These are probably people who subscribe to the idea that if you pull your hair tightly it grows faster. Apparently, we have spools of hair under our scalps and pulling your hair is like pulling the string on a ball of yarn (-_-)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

One more question:

Ever since I took down the weave on Saturday night my scalp has been itching like CRAZY. What's the deal? I've washed, oiled my scalp, moisturized, etc, etc but yet I have to walk around with a rattail comb for relief!

ETA: I examined my scalp a few days ago and it looked fine although it was itching like hell

Maybe you were allergic to the hair? Did she use a net or anything? Or did she braid with synthetic hair?

HautePinkHeels said:
One more question:

Ever since I took down the weave on Saturday night my scalp has been itching like CRAZY. What's the deal? I've washed, oiled my scalp, moisturized, etc, etc but yet I have to walk around with a rattail comb for relief!

ETA: I examined my scalp a few days ago and it looked fine although it was itching like hell

HautePinkHeels try putting sour cream on your scalp. When I have had an itchy allergic reaction on my face I slathered sour cream on it for an hour.

Once I chopped a bunch of jalapeños without gloves and my hands were on FIRE. I was in tears. I couldn't sleep or anything. Then I remembered sour cream. I had to sleep with my hands in sour cream with ziplocs. I also put my ziplocked, sour creamed hands in ice water to speed the process.

Nayna said:
Maybe you were allergic to the hair? Did she use a net or anything? Or did she braid with synthetic hair?

It was human hair, no net, and she didn't add hair when braiding (my hair is super thick).

I am allergic to ppd? (an ingredient in black hair dye) I am allergic to black hair dye. The dye in weaves is really bad. I would itch on my neck and back. If it got wet? It was terrible. Did you start itching after it got wet? Maybe it us an allergy like a pp said.

I still have a dark square on my back from the patch test where they applied the black hair dye chemical.

@HautePinkHeels try putting sour cream on your scalp. When I have had an itchy allergic reaction on my face I slathered sour cream on it for an hour.

Once I chopped a bunch of jalapeños without gloves and my hands were on FIRE. I was in tears. I couldn't sleep or anything. Then I remembered sour cream. I had to sleep with my hands in sour cream with ziplocs. I also put my ziplocked, sour creamed hands in ice water to speed the process.

Did you have nachos laater? :). I've never heard of this remedy, interesting
One more question:

I think having your hair pulled that tight can also leave you pretty itchy.

Yea maybe your scalp is just experiencing some type of trauma after being pulled too tight. Do you have aloe? It's time to baby your scalp.

virtuenow said:
HanaKuroi I will- sounds soothing. But seriously, I'm having nachos now xtra jalapeno (u made me hungry :)).

This happens when seeding fresh jalapenos. I have never been in so much pain virtuenow and I have had 2 kids and one was a natural birth. Yes, it was that bad. I haven't made salsa since.

This happens when seeding fresh jalapenos. I have never been in so much pain @virtuenow and I have had 2 kids and one was a natural birth. Yes, it was that bad. I haven't made salsa since.

Wow, that's quite a comparison. So you were seeding fresh jalapenos to make your salsa? Yum. I tend to use the jalapenos in jar, that is what I used in the salsa I just made. Perhaps that will be eaiser on your skin (or gloves).

virtuenow said:
Wow, that's quite a comparison. So you were seeding fresh jalapenos to make your salsa? Yum. I tend to use the jalapenos in jar, that is what I used in the salsa I just made. Perhaps that will be eaiser on your skin (or gloves).

It tastes different with fresh. Just make a mental note. In the future if you have an encounter with fresh peppers you know what to do. lol

I know y'all ain't up in my thread talmbout nachos! Lmao!

I've for some aloe vera juice which I prepooed with and kimmaytube-left-in the other day so I'm surprised that didn't help. I'm gonna see about the sour cream.

Ugh. I've completely learned my lesson about having other people in my hair. I mean, damn, I can't even trust the people irl who claim to be on a HHJ?!

Here's what I don't like.

I hate when people say "Oh its gonna be ok, you just need to take a tylenol . "

Its not supposed to hurt at all. I used to get sew ins all the time. Its very damaging to the scalp. All of that tension can lead to baldness other weakness in the area of pain. I suggest take it out.

If she says it hurts her then she doesn't care about health of her hair well as yours. She only is a Style Fanatic. As I say.

Have you not had someone do your hair in a long time? Meaning like braids or cornrows or anything like that? Your scalp can become tender headed if you go too long without having it braided.

The best way to tell if it's too tight is to feel your scalp and rub your fingers over it. If it feels stiff, the weave is too tight. If you feel raised skin (like the scalp between the braids is not flat, but kind of lumpy) then the braids were probably too tight, and I suggest u either take it down yourself or politely ask her to re-install it a lot less tightly because you are afraid of the braids ripping your hair from your scalp.

One time I asked my mom's friend to braid my hair. Now I am in NO WAY tender headed, but it kinda hurt when she did it. Then, when I looked in the mirror i saw that the scalp between my braids was literally SWELLING UP because of the tension put on the hair. I took those bad boys out that same day. I'm not bout to lose my hair over some stinkin cornrows!

This is 100% right. I periodically get weaves. If I have been wigging it for awhile, my scalp might be a little sensitive. Usually the first night I sleep on double pillows. But your scalp should not swell, bump, pimple or be really painful. That's too tight. On the other hand, cornrows in general involve tugging on the hair and more stimulation to the scalp than say making a bun everyday. You need to assess if this is 'My scalp is uncomfortable because it's just been manipulated for 4 hours putting in this weave' or 'My scalp is red/swollen/getting pimples because my hair is pulled so tightly'.

HautePinkHeels - I am SOOOOOOOO sorry you had to experience that trauma. I usually do not respond in the hair threads, but as an avid weave wearer, I literally clutched my pearls in horror after reading your story. My stylist already know what time it is, so i don't have those problems. I'm very adamant on how my hair should be done and tight ain't one of'em.

Then you lost an inch on top of that? I'd be pissed da hell off. She prolly cut it on the sneak tip. I've actually seen a stylist cut this girl's hair before she proceeded to braid it up for a weave, but the girl was on the phone talking. I was sittin there like umph.. She whipped those scissors out and slid them right back in her apron like it wasn't nothing.

I think she was secretly hating because the girl did have some nice thick hair. Don't know why she had to cut it tho...I remember the girl telling the stylist that she does her own hair, clip ends, etc and I KNOW I did not hear that girl say clip my ends. Like I said, i just sat in da chair like umph....

I wish you the best of luck.

Back