Is this how you do it? (Ayurvedic)

Fine 4s

I pree-poo'ed with Dabur amla oil for hours.

I then mixed 1 part shikakai to 2 pts amla powder with hot and cool water. I strained it with a pantyhose and took the brown water and poured on my hair and scalp. I massaged for a few minutes and put a shower cap on for another few mns. Then proceeded with a deep condish etc.

Is this water meant to substitute a shampoo or co-wash?

My hair felt a little more stripped than when I use my VO5 conditioner. Anyone else experience this? Not too bad though. I'll continue until I finish my packets...

I don't know what bumping means but I see folks saying it when they don't get enough or any responses. Right?

Bumping!!!?

I then mixed 1 part shikakai to 2 pts amla powder with hot and cool water. I strained it with a pantyhose and took the brown water and poured on my hair and scalp. I massaged for a few minutes and put a shower cap on for another few mns. Then proceeded with a deep condish etc.

My hair felt a little more stripped than when I use my VO5 conditioner. Anyone else experience this? Not too bad though. I'll continue until I finish my packets...

This is how I do it (minus the straining- I must remember that next time).

Yes this is done in place of the shampoo. Always DC afterwards.

I want to know too, I have been using the amla oil as a pre-poo and the shikakai oil as an overnight leave in. I havent had any success finding the powder but want to try them.

After pouring the powder over my head I just leave it on for about one minute then rinse it out really good. I do not touch my hair or scalp during this process. I then proceed to deep conditioner.

I'm so glad u posted this. I have been willing to try this out.

DOES THIS CONCOCTION SMELL? does shikakai and amla powder smell at all?

I'm so glad u posted this. I have been willing to try this out.

DOES THIS CONCOCTION SMELL? does shikakai and amla powder smell at all?

To me it has no ill smell like amla oil. I only leave it on for a minute or so and once you deep condish, well what smell. Honesty, the oils smell way worse than the powders and the oil does not smell that bad!

To me it has no ill smell like amla oil. I only leave it on for a minute or so and once you deep condish, well what smell. Honesty, the oils smell way worse than the powders and the oil does not smell that bad!

thanks so much! the fear of the smell always had me on defense about doing this method! now i can finally buy the powders.

After pouring the powder over my head I just leave it on for about one minute then rinse it out really good. I do not touch my hair or scalp during this process. I then proceed to deep conditioner.

I don't think you are suppose to pour the powder over your head. Mix it. make a paste and apply on hair. I leave on for 10 minutes with shower cap. Rinse out well. Then DC.

I don't think you are suppose to pour the powder over your head. Mix it. make a paste and apply on hair. I leave on for 10 minutes with shower cap. Rinse out well. Then DC.

I do mix the powder with water to make a tea like substance. I then pour that over my head and ......

I copied this from Candy C cause she has BEAUTIFUL hair and she uses the powders. HTH

nightbefore:

coat hair with amla oil (ready made/Dabur)

Day of treats:
teaspoon of shikakai powder

2 teaspoons of amla

(1:2) ratio...no matter how much u make

mix in a bowl with some hot and cold water

stirrrrrrrrrr - 3minutes

now, while thats chillin, rub some readymade shikakai oil into your scalp

for 10/15mins...

comb ya hair out nicely...

now take off your garments, and step into the shower lol, rinse all that oil out for 10 mins with very warm water - scrub scalp some mo...

now pour that mixture of powders and water over your head, whilst in the shower - after about 1 mins rinse it all out for 10 - 20mins, depending on the ratio of powders

now use a good conditioner and run it through your hair - wash it out straight away - then repeat, this time put a cap on your head for 5-10mins

rinse out with super cool-cold water

pat with towel, add a leave in, and some avocado butter (or whatever u like)

airdry

celebrate when you get marvellous results (10mins)

total time: approx: 50-78mins - 1hr 20mins MAX!

I copied this from Candy C cause she has BEAUTIFUL hair and she uses the powders. HTH

nightbefore:

coat hair with amla oil (ready made/Dabur)

Day of treats:
teaspoon of shikakai powder

2 teaspoons of amla

(1:2) ratio...no matter how much u make

mix in a bowl with some hot and cold water

stirrrrrrrrrr - 3minutes

now, while thats chillin, rub some readymade shikakai oil into your scalp

for 10/15mins...

comb ya hair out nicely...

now take off your garments, and step into the shower lol, rinse all that oil out for 10 mins with very warm water - scrub scalp some mo...

now pour that mixture of powders and water over your head, whilst in the shower - after about 1 mins rinse it all out for 10 - 20mins, depending on the ratio of powders

now use a good conditioner and run it through your hair - wash it out straight away - then repeat, this time put a cap on your head for 5-10mins

rinse out with super cool-cold water

pat with towel, add a leave in, and some avocado butter (or whatever u like)

airdry

celebrate when you get marvellous results (10mins)

total time: approx: 50-78mins - 1hr 20mins MAX!
That's exactly how I do it!

This stuff is great. I just mixed amla shikaika and neem with water in a bowl. cover and let it sit. I pre-poo with mustard oil and Mahabhringraj oil for 30 minutes with shower cap on. Applied the mixture with SAA to hair and roots. Let sit for 20 minutes. Rinsed and DC.I Shed 6 hairs in total. put in Lacio lacio and Natural Aloe. I put my hair in a polytail and put one roller on the ponytail and air dry. Im loving how stron my hair feels.

I gotta find the powders, I peeked in your fotki (hehe :grin:) your hair is beautiful, spill....in my best Arnold voice..."whatchu doing to that hur?"

Everything I can. Right about now I am trying to get my hair on the right track for the summer and before my graduation. I am going to see if Ayurvedic works. So far, so good. I take the followinf vitamins listed and just trying to HYH ans stretch as I see great results from doing as such. Thanks for asking!

I prepoo with Bhringaraj or Mahabringraj oil overnight. I have learned not to rinse out the oils - thanks Keisha:grouphug:) and just apply the wash directly on oiled hair/ Love it!I love this Ayurveda thing- I make the hair tea with shikakai,amla,brahmi and aritha powder. I then let it sit for 20 minutes (scritch) and rinse out- use bhringaraj conditioner after and then deep condition. !!

I prepoo with Bhringaraj or Mahabringraj oil overnight. I have learned not to rinse out the oils - thanks Keisha:grouphug:) and just apply the wash directly on oiled hair/ Love it!I love this Ayurveda thing- I make the hair tea with shikakai,amla,brahmi and aritha powder. I then let it sit for 20 minutes (scritch) and rinse out- use bhringaraj conditioner after and then deep condition. !!

So you apply the rinse right over the oil? That sounds interesting. I might have to try that tomorrow. What is the difference in rinsing and not rinsing the oil out before applying the rinse?

So you apply the rinse right over the oil? That sounds interesting. I might have to try that tomorrow. What is the difference in rinsing and not rinsing the oil out before applying the rinse?

I've followed Candy C's regimen a couple times and like it. This is my first time hearing that anyone pours the powder mix directly over the oiled hair. I would like to know the difference as well.

Are you making a paste or just a watery substance?
If the paste is better than perhaps I should try that. However I read here that it can be messy to get the paste out.

Are you making a paste or just a watery substance?
If the paste is better than perhaps I should try that. However I read here that it can be messy to get the paste out.

If you have a detachable shower head its easy. I just put mine on full pressure all the paste comes out in 3 mimutes. I like how using the paste fees. Virtually no shedding.

I've only done Candy C's regime one time and I actually mixed the powder mix with oil.

Apparently, it was only supposed to be with water, but this mix really worked for me.

But I don't have the powder mix without oil to compare it to.

i havent been reading the ayurvedic threads but what do the powders do for the hair?

I think I read in another thread that they were drying.

If you have a detachable shower head its easy. I just put mine on full pressure all the paste comes out in 3 mimutes. I like how using the paste fees. Virtually no shedding.
Definitely the greatest benefit to using the ayurvedic powders.

dont manipulate the hair at all when the powder has been poured

only rub or whatever when it has conditioner on it

and you dont need to strain the particles, your wasting it really just mix well with a spoon, any particles left will only enhance your hair

Last edited:
I just love the timing here! Now I was just about to go and do a brewed tea/strained rinse with my powders, just to see how it would be since I used the pastes for the first time last week. But if it truly diminishes the benefits of the herbs to my hair and scalp, I think I'll stick with the paste. Off to wash!

Back